Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Marathon 2015

Options
  • 05-10-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, Trying to decide on which spring marathon would be the best to sign up for, has anybody recommendations on the following marathons?
    Vienna
    Madrid
    Rotterdam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Only done Rotterdam but its a great race. Good course, good crowd and the weathers normally nice but not too nice. Good transport and plenty of places to stay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could add Manchester to that list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Seville. Ran it last year on recommendation from several marathon runners. Pancake flat and late Feb in Spain is ideal running conditions. Plus entry is €30 only downside is no direct flight from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Did Vienna in 2011, was a great race; fast course and excellently organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Paris Marathon is in April. Scenic and well organized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Also done Paris, its still my fave of the marathons I have done [so far]

Connemara is not a flat easy course, but its one of the best races in Ireland, year in and out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 squirrel84

Cheers for all the feedback, Paris is sold out but it looks like it's between Manchester & Rotterdam to go for the P.B. Is their much crowd support at Manchester or is their long stints where you could be out running on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

squirrel84 wrote: »
    Cheers for all the feedback, Paris is sold out but it looks like it's between Manchester & Rotterdam to go for the P.B. Is their much crowd support at Manchester or is their long stints where you could be out running on your own?

Are you sure Paris is sold out?

Ok, having run Rotterdam I will give you my pros and cons:

Pros:

-Easy access
    -Reasonable hotel rooms
    -Flat course with excellent water, sponge and gel stations
    -Brilliant on course support. Really impressed by this.
    -Good Irish bar to celebrate!

Cons:

-Weather. Very likely to be very hot.
    -Congestion at the start. Get there early and right up the front.
    -I liked Rotterdam but it's not exactly built for tourists!

Would I recommend? Yes. If you get the weather it's a very fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Paris is *not* closed

At least it was not when I looked a few days ago as I think about what I do myself at start of next year..

It is annoying to register for, for reasons I dont get, you can only register from the main marathon site for a short period. After that [from a couple of months ago] you need to go to http://www.asochallenges.com/ and register on that site and then go from there etc

Paris is *not* closed

At least it was not when I looked a few days ago as I think about what I do myself at start of next year..

It is annoying to register for, for reasons I dont get, you can only register from the main marathon site for a short period. After that [from a couple of months ago] you need to go to http://www.asochallenges.com/ and register on that site and then go from there etc

Yeah, remember this last year. It's a right pain to enter. Why do they make it so difficult?

It's still open. Looks like a good race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

+1 for Rotterdam.

In 2012 it was actually cold and somewhat windy.
    It's actually a relatively small field, c. 7,000, and as long as you're smart at the start and don't line up behind the relay or business runners it won't be long thinning out.

+1 for Rotterdam.

In 2012 it was actually cold and somewhat windy.
    It's actually a relatively small field, c. 7,000, and as long as you're smart at the start and don't line up behind the relay or business runners it won't be long thinning out.

Partly my fault but I found the start very congested. I lost a minute in the first 2k. No one seemed to keep to their corrals and it wasn't enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Partly my fault but I found the start very congested. I lost a minute in the first 2k. No one seemed to keep to their corrals and it wasn't enforced.

Was that not the 10km start? ;)

I found the start grand when I done in. Get there and be ready with 15 mins to go and will be grand

blockic wrote: »
    Was that not the 10km start? ;)

I found the start grand when I done in. Get there and be ready with 15 mins to go and will be grand

Christ, forgot about that!!

Yeah, agreed. Get there 15-20 early and relax. Maybe I was unlucky but the section I was in was a joke. Be early and enjoy 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Odd and uplifting in equal measures!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Are you sure Paris is sold out?

Ok, having run Rotterdam I will give you my pros and cons:

Pros:

-Easy access
    -Reasonable hotel rooms
    -Flat course with excellent water, sponge and gel stations
    -Brilliant on course support. Really impressed by this.

Would I recommend? Yes. If you get the weather it's a very fast course.

What's the logistics in getting there? Ryanair to Eindhoven and then train?

McWotever wrote: »
    What's the logistics in getting there[HTML]? Ryanair to Eindhoven and then train?

Eindhoven or Amsterdam with Aer Lingus. It's a small country so it's very handy to get anywhere. They have a great rail system. I think the train from Schiphol (Amsterdam) is about 40 minutes. Some even stay in Amsterdam the night before but I stayed in a great hotel called CitizenM in Rotterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I think the train from Schiphol (Amsterdam) is about 40 minutes.

So the same length it takes the plane to taxi from the runway to the terminal in Schipol? :P

That hotel looks amazing. I think, with time and logistics in mind, I may have to opt for Manchester.

That hotel looks amazing. I think, with time and logistics in mind, I may have to opt for Manchester.

I got some great deal. Worked out very cheap. I think it wasn't much over 200e for 3 nights so it ca be done.

Manchester looks like a good choice though. Although I probably would stick to a marathon in Ireland rather than travel to the UK for a marathon in the Spring (London asides).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's the logistics in getting there? Ryanair to Eindhoven and then train?

Fly to Ams with Aer Lingus, it's cheaper.
    Fyra high speed train to Rtm Centraal, platform is in the airport, costs about €20 each way and takes about 20mins.
    Buckets of Hotels / Apts to choose from, most within a 15min walk to the start / finish.
    I stayed in NH Atlanta - 200mts to the start.

• Advertisement

I got some great deal. Worked out very cheap. I think it wasn't much over 200e for 3 nights so it ca be done.

Manchester looks like a good choice though. Although I probably would stick to a marathon in Ireland rather than travel to the UK for a marathon in the Spring (London asides).

Generally I would agree, but I'm thinking flat, flat, flat! I've 4.41 minutes to find to bring me under the magic 3.

Just some more points about Rotterdam.

So many flights to Amsterdam and then a quick train journey from the airport to centre of Rotterdam.
    The expo stays open on the morning of the marathon to pick up your number so you can get a stress free flight on the Saturday in the knowledge that even if you're delayed you can always grab your race number the next morning.

Did we mention it is flatter than flat? (a flat course won't buy you 4.41 although it will make a contribution ;))

I loved the marathon and the city and its a pity it clashes with Boston or I'd do both every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I done Manchester last year and found it a great race.

Theres plenty of hotels around Old Trafford (where it starts) - so walking distance.
    Also well organised, although the mile markers could be more visible.

It is very flat, with the exception of 1 bridge that you do twice.
    There are a few out and back segments, which I loved as it breaks the monotony and lets you see the leaders etc.

Crowd wise - its fantastic in large sections from 1-18m (I think) - then it goes out to the country and theres no support for 2-3 miles before coming back to Trafford.
    This year I think it falls on Easter Sunday.

Oh yeah - be careful of snipers at mile 25.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just some more points about Rotterdam.

So many flights to Amsterdam and then a quick train journey from the airport to centre of Rotterdam.
    The expo stays open on the morning of the marathon to pick up your number so you can get a stress free flight on the Saturday in the knowledge that even if you're delayed you can always grab your race number the next morning.

Did we mention it is flatter than flat? (a flat course won't buy you 4.41 although it will make a contribution ;))

I loved the marathon and the city and its a pity it clashes with Boston or I'd do both every year.

How'd you find the weather - I was considering this for April, but reading DR's comments.....hhhmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Anyone any ideas on places to stay in Paris please? They say they have a link with the Holiday Inn but when i was checking it was coming up to check back at a later date for deals for 2015.

How'd you find the weather - I was considering this for April, but reading DR's comments.....hhhmmmmm

It was cold and windy in 2012. A world record attempt was planned but the wind put paid to that. I was running the race as a training run so wasn't too concerned but it was cold enough for gloves in the first few miles.

TBH I think weather in April can be so variable no matter where you go in the Northern Hemisphere - Boston, Rotterdam, Vienna, etc, even Ireland can have scorchers in April - and it can feel much warmer than it is after winter training.
    They've changed the start time since 2011 to reduce the temp risk. Wind bothers me more than (reasonable) hot temps though.

The advantages of Rotterdam with ease of travel, unbelievably flat with long straight stretches, great support and not much congestion at water stations, etc make it for me the best spot for a PB. I've an entry for Boston but those Rotterdam Facebook updates have me thinking.

It was cold and windy in 2012. A world record attempt was planned but the wind put paid to that. I was running the race as a training run so wasn't too concerned but it was cold enough for gloves in the first few miles.

TBH I think weather in April can be so variable no matter where you go in the Northern Hemisphere - Boston, Rotterdam, Vienna, etc, even Ireland can have scorchers in April - and it can feel much warmer than it is after winter training.
    They've changed the start time since 2011 to reduce the temp risk. Wind bothers me more than (reasonable) hot temps though.

The advantages of Rotterdam with ease of travel, unbelievably flat with long straight stretches, great support and not much congestion at water stations, etc make it for me the best spot for a PB. I've an entry for Boston but those Rotterdam Facebook updates have me thinking.

The only think with Rotterdam is the start time. 11am still I think..way too late and only makes the weather risk much higher on warm days

Don't let me put you off. It's a brilliant race.

The weather is beyond everyone's control (even mine!). Don't let that stop you. As mentioned above, the late start isn't always helpful. The chances are the temperatures will be quite mild but if it is warm then it's a big enough change coming from Ireland. Warm days really impact my training and racing so I particularly sensitive to anything over 18 degrees so don't mind me!!

Yep..also agree it's a great race..everywhere in April will be a coin toss anyway in regards to what you get. So only option is to pick one and commit!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    The only think with Rotterdam is the start time. 11am still I think..way too late and only makes the weather risk much higher on warm days

They changed the start time to either 9:30 or 10 IIRC since 2011.

Registration is open \o/

Advertisement