Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hughs Bridge Improvements

Options
  • 05-10-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen any plans, or know when its starting? Apparently funds have been approved/allocated, and plans are to add a lane in each direction by replacing the existing pavements, then adding new pavements by attaching walk ways on either side of the bridge to be used by cyclists. My understanding was work was due to start and take 9 months, with futher plans to improve the road layout as far as the Rosses Point Junction.

Am fearing this could end up like the OConnell St improvements, am yet to see any plans or work commencing on that either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.sligococo.ie/News/Name,32268,en.html

Sligo County Council wish to advise members of the public that construction is scheduled to commence for the widening of Hughes Bridge on the N4 National Primary Road in Sligo City on Monday the 13th October 2014.

This Scheme involves widening of the bridge structure which crosses the Garvoge River to six lanes of traffic and will include the removal of the existing footpaths to be replaced by two new footbridges/cycleways, one on either side of the existing structure. Construction works are expected to be ongoing over a nine month period.

Temporary Traffic Management will be in place throughout the construction period. This will result in traffic delays in the vicinity and on all approaches to the works. Specific expected delays will be communicated in advance on a weekly basis through the weekly Road and Traffic report released by Sligo County Council. Sligo County Council along with the Contractor will endeavour to minimise the effects of the works where possible and regrets any inconvenience which will be caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

At the risk of sounding pedantic can't someone point out to me where sligo city is exactly?

It'll be interesting to see the final layout, this is badly needed but I wonder will there be some sort of bottleneck where it'll narrow back down to one or two lanes. As a frequent user of the bridge for years I never got over the amount of oneupmanship where the lanes merge closer to statoil, I've had a few close calls there.

While the bridge is not the greatest landmark, I hope the cycleway/footpath they hang off the side don't blight it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If they have to strip the pavement in order to convert it to a traffic lane, I can see traffic in that direction being reduced to one lane, whilst work is done. Longterm should really help aslong as they includ works on the Rosses Point junction. Short term its going to cause a bit of a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

You would think that they would of started this in the summer months, when there is no school or college on. At least try and minimise disruption, might of made more sense.

Other than that it's a change for the better.

Maybe they were waiting till after The Fleadh. Traffic was already bad enough on the releif road was parts of the town centre closed to traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Maybe they were waiting till after The Fleadh. Traffic was already bad enough on the releif road was parts of the town centre closed to traffic.

Ah ya forgot about that! That makes more sense all right.
    Not gonna be fun driving home for a couple of weeks.

BASHIR wrote: »
    Ah ya forgot about that! That makes more sense all right.
    Not gonna be fun driving home for a couple of weeks.

Several months more like. Might be seeking alternative routes across 'The City' to/from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

rizzodun wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding pedantic can't someone point out to me where sligo city is exactly?

It'll be interesting to see the final layout, this is badly needed but I wonder will there be some sort of bottleneck where it'll narrow back down to one or two lanes. As a frequent user of the bridge for years I never got over the amount of oneupmanship where the lanes merge closer to statoil, I've had a few close calls there.

While the bridge is not the greatest landmark, I hope the cycleway/footpath they hang off the side don't blight it too much.

Inside the city loop near the city core. :)

dingding wrote: »
    Inside the city loop near the city core. :)

Oh right, how foolish of me to ask! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Cycle way sounds great but is it going to be a cycleway solely on the bridge itself only to end abruptly or part of a coherent Cycle lane system... Unfortunately I reckon it'll be the former....

• Advertisement

Work now not due to start until the 20th. Was wondering where the lack of machinary was.

http://www.sligococo.ie/traffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

The traffic is going to be RANK in the morning ....bad as it is and yes....people are always trying to switch lanes before the turn right down the docks

Over the bridge last night and again this morning. No evidence of any work being started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

They should really do the JFK Bridge as well!

Lol at Ocean FM reporting continuing work on the bridge. I have seen no evidence yet. Think they only signed contracts this week.
    Vlove wrote: »
    They should really do the JFK Bridge as well!

Cant ever see it happening, would omly be a bottle neck once they approach The Embassy Rooms and the old ESB Building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Lol at Ocean FM reporting continuing work on the bridge. I have seen no evidence yet. Think they only signed contracts this week.
    There are markings on the foothpath that we're done during the week so I guess that counts as work starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bodidly

On Tuesday there was around 6 guys in yellow jackets standing around feehilys funeral home and along the bridge. Looked like they were assessing the amount of traffic or something like that. Would say this is going to be a long drawn out pain in the backside!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Well their hardly going to drop it in from outer space.

Bodidly wrote: »
    On Tuesday there was around 6 guys in yellow jackets standing around feehilys funeral home and along the bridge. Looked like they were assessing the amount of traffic or something like that. Would say this is going to be a long drawn out pain in the backside!

SatNav was showing works in progess and moderate traffic this evening only about an hour ago.

Would have thought works started, would have actually meant machinery, noise, and congestion. Not fellas during survey work and signing contracts.

SatNav was showing works in progess and moderate traffic this evening only about an hour ago.

Would have thought works started, would have actually meant machinery, noise, and congestion. Not fellas during survey work and signing contracts.

Maybe they're taking the 'measure twice, cut once' approach, I have no problem having them stand around with clipboards and laser pointers for weeks if it shortens the overall time spent actually causing the disruption, this may be wishful thinking though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

this may be wishful thinking though.

Maybe? I'm afraid it probably is wishful thinking.

Maybe? I'm afraid it probably is wishful thinking.

Isn't probably just a synonym of maybe? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

There is a road sign near the red cottage stating the work will start 29th Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Isn't probably just a synonym of maybe? :P

Nazi forum > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Maybe they're taking the 'measure twice, cut once' approach, I have no problem having them stand around with clipboards and laser pointers for weeks if it shortens the overall time spent actually causing the disruption, this may be wishful thinking though.

They were locating and marking the services important part of the start up folks you just don't drop in track machines and breakers and go hell for leather.
    Some people hinting that they were wasting time.The job will have a tight time line had to be finished by the end of July.
    And there will be a lot of whining about traffic disruption and there will be a lot of that.but you have to expect disruption to get these improvements and there never is a right time to these type of road jobs.

sligono1 wrote: »
    They were locating and marking the services important part of the start up folks you just don't drop in track machines and breakers and go hell for leather.
    Some people hinting that they were wasting time.The job will have a tight time line had to be finished by the end of July.
    And there will be a lot of whining about traffic disruption and there will be a lot of that.but you have to expect disruption to get these improvements and there never is a right time to these type of road jobs.

Like I said, I have no problem with all plane prep if it minimises disruption, let's hope the finish it in the timeframe given.

As a thought, is O'Connell st still being closed? Wouldn't it be worth holding off closing the street as it is one of the alternative routes across town?

sligono1 wrote: »

Obvously. But considering that local radio, sat navs, and the coco, are all saying expect delays for the last week, I would have thought that marking of services and surveys were already completed.

Unfortunately, traffic disruption will be a factor, but going from three lanes to one lane at the Rosses point junction is only going to cause bottle necks somewhere else. Although hopefully it will end the queue jumping for south bound traffic coming off the bridge, and people going straight on from the right hand lane for Ballast Quay.
    Like I said, I have no problem with all plane prep if it minimises disruption, let's hope the finish it in the timeframe given.

As a thought, is O'Connell st still being closed? Wouldn't it be worth holding off closing the street as it is one of the alternative routes across town?

Have seen no mention of it, although if this work is going to take till July, and they want OConnell St done in time for next years Fladh I doubt it.

Looking at the work so far, I'm still wondering how this will finally look. Are the new foot paths going to be joined on to the exsisting structure, or are they going to be a totally seperate structure? It currenlty looks like they are putting in some kind of foundation on the south bound approach on the bundoran rd side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Looking at the work so far, I'm still wondering how this will finally look. Are the new foot paths going to be joined on to the exsisting structure, or are they going to be a totally seperate structure? It currenlty looks like they are putting in some kind of foundation on the south bound approach on the bundoran rd side.

The footpaths are cantilever style so they are attached to the original structure like hanging off the side.

Like what should have been done from Bridge st to JFK parade years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I always thought it was Hughes Bridge

Advertisement