Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van commercial Tax

Options
  • 05-10-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey hows it going everyone, first post. Looking to try and figure out about commercial tax on a small van. Im selling my car and buying a van which I want to commercially tax, if I buy a van off someone who already has it taxed commercially, once its in my name can I just continue taxing it commercially from then on or will I be asked for a Vat number when the time comes for me to tax it in my name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

How the previous owner taxed it is irrelevant. When you buy it you will have to satisfy your local motor tax office that you qualify for commercial tax. The exact criteria seem to vary from county to county and even can depend on who serves you at the counter on any given day. Typical Irish system...

Once you do that the first time you tax it then you will just be able to renew the tax hassle free after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

As George said it's heavily dependant on the tax office as to how wether they will tax it commerically for you. As a kind of back up depending on your budget and how new your buying try and keep the cc if the engine in the van . As when taxing a commerically it is always based on cc never Co2 emissions regardless of the age of the van. So the likes of citreon nemo are 1.4 hdi, Opel combo 1.3cdti, partner/ berlingo can be gotten in 1.6hdi. So at least by keeping the engine size down you won't get to stung if you have to tax privately . Like there is no point in buying a 2.0hdi berlingo for example and then discover you can't tax it commerically and that it's over 700 euro to tax it privately.

Advertisement