Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates

Options
  • 05-10-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

just wondering wherei can read the ins and outs of the Irish rates system? how good is it?

just on the off chance does anyone know of an online course that can be taken for them? or maybe part of another course.

Thanks
    Cole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Huh? What do you mean, rates system?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 colep

sorry, been a long day. I mean business property rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

It is a tax imposed on businesses that adds substantial cost for essentially no direct benfits/return. Those who advise and negotiate on rates are normally qualified surveyors but there are plenty of rogue operators who claim they can do this for upfront fees and no return for the client.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Has anybody had an experience with negotiating rates that are liable on a premises prior to you taking out a lease on that premises? As I understand it you then have to take on that liability which can end up very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Briando wrote: »
    Has anybody had an experience with negotiating rates that are liable on a premises prior to you taking out a lease on that premises? As I understand it you then have to take on that liability which can end up very expensive.

You are mixing up quite separate issues, unpaid rates by a former owner/user and rateable valuation. It is only possible to negotiate rateable valuation at the time of a review by the rating body ( local council). Unpaid rates due may well become a liability to the new leaseholder if they or their lawyers do not properly renounce them specifically in any new lease. Traditionally this has been one of the common mistakes made by the naive who have failed to get proper professional advice before signing a lease. AFAIK this particular situation has become less onerous legally in recent times but I would urge that anyone taking on such a legally onerous contract do so in full knowledge, supported by professional counsel. Then at least if it goes wrong, you have proper recourse!

• Advertisement
Advertisement