Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Splitting Wood Using Mallet, Wedges and Froe.

• 05-10-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Now splitting wood with a chainsaw is the way some folks routinely get D-Shaped logs from a solid log.

Yet to achieve the natural flow of the grain and / or you haven't got access, the old-school ways can be used just like our ancestors of old when they crafted wood back in the day...

First step is getting a mallet made-up:

Once the mallet is ready you can use it with the froe for shingle-making and for aiding the splitting of wood. However for large, thick logs a froe, even a large one will struggle to achieve it.

This is where the steel and or wooden / plastic wedges come into play. A steel mallet is also effective. From there you can get stuck in and get splitting the logs into 'D' sections or 'half logs'

This was filmed in the remote Rocky Mountain wilderness, no on-grid power, wild bears and hard-core weather etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Half the battle with preparation and self sufficiency is getting things done in an efficient way I think. To be best prepared there are an awful lot of things to be done as you know well. Given the limited time you have on the mountain each year, either investing in an Alaskan mill or even making your own with a bit of your proven ingenuity would probably make more sense and improve the quality of the cabin fit and finish. It's good to know how to do it the old way, but there's a reason why very portable chainsaw mills are so popular, and it's nothing to do with laziness. Those logs aren't monsters by any stretch and in that neck of the woods a couple of hundred dollars should have a decent saw in your truck and save you a lot of time and backbreaking work. Well done on the work so far! Are you still over there now? I enjoy your updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Hey there Buddha.

No just returned back over the Atlantic so that's it until next time.

Also I can't afford a sawmill, those are like 1,500 to 2,000 dollars plus taxes AND you need to build a small metal trackway for it to ride on for boards of any decent length. I like them, my mate uses one for the mega cabin he's almost built

Here's a quick peek of a manually cut log I did using a chainsaw. I used a chainblock to suspend it from:

LxcNFMi.jpg

Here's the logs installed in my small cabin-shed. The gaps in the logs are minimal and are either chinked or sealed off with plyboard.

S87465Z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Nah, not a portable bandsaw mill, but a chainsaw mill. Here:

http://granberg.com/product/alaskan-mk-iii-mill-24

$235 for the kit, which you bolt onto your saw. There are bigger ones and smaller ones too, just depending on the saw you have and how much chain it will pull. Better to have spare power than labour the saw I think.

Nice work. Back next summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

All being well I should be.

The rail system is needed for milling long boards and this would be impossible up at the terrain I have my land on alas.

Advertisement