Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know this camper?

Options
  • 05-10-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I have been looking for a camper for a while and came across this http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/1996-ford-transit-camper/7798124 ,I decided to take a look at it today, met the seller and he told me he bought it from East Coast Campers 18 months ago, had a good look around it and all seemed ok, just a couple of issues:
    1. Under each of the side windows was a soft spot of maybe 100mm in diameter, I'm assuming water ingress at some stage but was now dry, couldn't find any other evidence of leaks at all
    2.I asked to see the fridge and hot water working but seller didn't have any gas, I put a small deposit on the camper and when I return to collect I will bring gas with me to test, how big a deal is it if either aren't working, electrolux fridge by the way
    3. Same with water system, water was drained down but will ask him to have it full when I collect so I can test, what exactly am I looking for?
    4.Make of camper seemed to be Roller, although I cant find another Roller on transit online, anyone know the brand?
    5. After I left I done a history check which showed up 6 owners since being imported to Ireland in 07, seems a lot

Apart from that the camper was fairly clean for the year, I hastily (maybe too hastily) put a deposit on it as from eying campers at this price range for the past couple of years, they don't hang around for long

I am more than willing to walk away from this if I find problems with the plumbing, heating or electrical systems, I'm looking for others opinions on it, is it good value, any other tips when I return to collect it would be very welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Bump, anyone? I'm supposed to be picking it up early this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

You need to check all the gas appliances,cooker, fridge, heater, water heater. None of those things are cheap to replace. Also the water pump and toilet need to be checked that they work and don't leak. Did you hook up the electricity to check that the leisure battery is being charged and that the sockets inside work? Did you check that all of the interior lights work? Did you roll out the awning to make sure it works and isn't torn etc?

Just some thoughts, I am sure you have most of them covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dee bee

the only way you'll ever know what condition the camper is in is to take it out for a very long drive (at least 10 miles) over different roads (not just the motorway) and uphill especially. if possible bring along a friend who will keep an eye and ear out for problems. as a guide u can use the VRT checklist to tick the boxes.

like *Kol* says, no replacement is cheap or easy. especially appliances and fittings. u can easily replace battery, lights, and repair small bits of body works but anything bigger, have ur cheque book ready.

this is my bit from using a 92-dethleff on a fiat ducato for the past 6 years, which i bought second hand. hope it helps

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I bought second hand camper last October after a few tips here, got a really good deal with low mileage.

It was sold as seen and the seller couldn't demo gas / water / electricity - I checked as much as I could and took a punt on the rest because I was saving big on the price, reckoned what I saved on price I could keep aside for any jobs that needed doing.

Everything worked out grand, everything worked electrics / gas, sailed through the CRW - so I guess I got lucky.

Dangerous game to play though, in hindsight I'd recommend

Getting the seller to plug it into the mains, test the sockets / lights etc. If in doubt buy a cable and mains adaptor and bring it with you.

Find out what type of gas cylinder it needs, buy one and bring it along, then you can test heating / cooker.

Bring a few 5 litre bottles of water along and fill the tank - you can test the water & boiler.

Go for a long spin.

Bear in mind the small fridges take a while to get going so you might not be able to determine if it's working or not after being plugged in for 5 or 10 minutes.

Well all, thanks for all the good advice, I went last night and done a few more checks and I got a demo of everything working off the mains and leisure battery, the only grey area was the gas system. The heater gas pipe was disconnected for some reason, the gas cooker worked, the hot water I didn't see working (I forgot being honest). I'm going to get the entire gas system checked by a professional as the guy himself didn't seem to know much about it and it's not something I want to take a chance on.

Apart from that after a 3 hour journey home last night I'm delighted with it, mechanically it's perfect, few minor nigely cosmetic things I will sort over the winter but otherwise I think it is a good machine for the money. One other question, I noticed a bit of corrosion on the exterior aluminium under where you remove the toilet cassette, about 2 inches by 6, is this something that can be easily repaired?

• Advertisement

How bad is the corrosion? If it can be sanded off then you just need to prime and paint after. If there is a relatively small hole you can fill and paint it. If there is going to be a larger hole after removal you can make a neat bonded doubler/patch from thin aluminum to cover the hole. Paint both sides of the doubler before you bond it on. This will be a good repair as it's not critical to the structure you just want to prevent water ingress and for it to look cosmetically ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

AutoRoller , or RollerTeam maybe? Corrosion on the alu skin is usually as a result of rotten timber inside . You can sand it off and repaint , but it'll keep coming back.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    AutoRoller , or RollerTeam maybe? Corrosion on the alu skin is usually as a result of rotten timber inside . You can sand it off and repaint , but it'll keep coming back.

I didn't think of that Aidan. Though with a camper approaching 20 years old its a case of preservation to prolong life.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I didn't think of that Aidan. Though with a camper approaching 20 years old its a case of preservation to prolong life.

I'll post up a couple of photos of the corrosion, Its under the hatch used to house the toilet cassette so possibly caused by a leaking toilet at some stage?

It just says roller over the numberplate on the bumper at the back, cant find any info online about the company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

rustynutz wrote: »
    I'll post up a couple of photos of the corrosion, Its under the hatch used to house the toilet cassette so possibly caused by a leaking toilet at some stage?

It just says roller over the numberplate on the bumper at the back, cant find any info online about the company
    There should be a data plate under the bonnet or near the steps or doorshuts .

• Advertisement
Advertisement