Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long to go to work in swords

Options
  • 05-10-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all !

Just looking at job ad, 1 excellent opportunity in Swords. But I would like to in or near dublin city centre. How long does it take to reach sword from dublin center in the week days? are there lots of traffic jam in a 9 to 5 job ? is it more 30 min or 1 hour ?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The swords express uses the tunnel afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are several public transport options to Swords Village:

Dublin Bus route 33 - takes about 35 minutes
    Dublin Bus route 41 and 41c - takes about 45 minutes
    Swords Express - takes about 35 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tringlarido

thanks for that ! if u know, how is it to go there by car ?

That depends upon where exactly you're going from and to, and what route you're taking.

Without precise information that's impossible to say.

Use google maps and get directions and it will give you an estimated time - if you do it at the times you'll be travelling it will give you current estimated times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I had to do it for a few weeks last year up the N1, it took anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be difficult and/or expensive to get (secure) parking in the city centre. You might be able to get easier parking in somewhere like Drumcondra - close to the city, but not quite as expensive or noisy.

Bus would likely be as fast as car, as the buses can avail of substantial lengths of bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Victor wrote: »
    Bus would likely be as fast as car, as the buses can avail of substantial lengths of bus lane.

This is not at all true, as most busses going to Swords must negotiate the section of road from Whitehall, past Omni, past Santry Stadium which is a total clusterfúck outbound in the mornings, usually adding circa 20 minutes to any journey - meanwhile cars can whizz up the M1 which at the same time of day, in the same direction, is relatively empty.

I used to work in a Multinational Call Centre in Swords Business Campus (far side of Swords, close to Applewood) and the journey time to there from the city centre would be approx 30minutes before 8am, and approx 40 minutes once the traffic starts in and around Drumcondra.

In the evening, inbound, I'd have my concerns about both private and public transport, as the section of road from Whitehall all the way through Drumcondra (Drumcondra Rd/Dorset Street) is busy from when the schools finish, and can be an absolute nightmare especially around the college and further up at Fagan's.

If I was taking a job in Swords I'd seriously consider living in Drumcondra itself, or even slightly further afield in places like Santry, Glasnevin, Ballymun or Finglas - ease of access to the M50/M1 is paramount, and then journey in a car past Swords on the M1 and enter Swords from the rear (ooh matron!).

This is not at all true, as most busses going to Swords must negotiate the section of road from Whitehall, past Omni, past Santry Stadium which is a total clusterfúck outbound in the mornings, usually adding circa 20 minutes to any journey - meanwhile cars can whizz up the M1 which at the same time of day, in the same direction, is relatively empty.

I used to work in a Multinational Call Centre in Swords Business Campus (far side of Swords, close to Applewood) and the journey time to there from the city centre would be approx 30minutes before 8am, and approx 40 minutes once the traffic starts in and around Drumcondra.

In the evening, inbound, I'd have my concerns about both private and public transport, as the section of road from Whitehall all the way through Drumcondra (Drumcondra Rd/Dorset Street) is busy from when the schools finish, and can be an absolute nightmare especially around the college and further up at Fagan's.

If I was taking a job in Swords I'd seriously consider living in Drumcondra itself, or even slightly further afield in places like Santry, Glasnevin, Ballymun or Finglas - ease of access to the M50/M1 is paramount, and then journey in a car past Swords on the M1 and enter Swords from the rear (ooh matron!).

really helpful,
    the job is in swords business park indeed.
    so yes to live near the m50 is paramount. I see for example north wall and east wall looks like the best option if u also want to be near city center. According to google maps it takes 33min with the swords city centre, only 16min by car... would u agree ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

lxflyer wrote: »
    There are several public transport options to Swords Village:

Dublin Bus route 33 - takes about 35 minutes
    Dublin Bus route 41 and 41c - takes about 45 minutes
    Swords Express - takes about 35 minutes

Depending on what part of Swords you're in, I'd add 10-15 minutes to all these routes. I don't commute to town and only use the bus off peak but it's always the guts of an hour (unless on 33) on Dublin Bus. Getting on Swords Express at Scout Den, you spend nearly 20 more mins in Swords before getting to the M1 and from there 15-20 mins to town depending on quays traffic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Depending on what part of Swords you're in, I'd add 10-15 minutes to all these routes. I don't commute to town and only use the bus off peak but it's always the guts of an hour (unless on 33) on Dublin Bus. Getting on Swords Express at Scout Den, you spend nearly 20 more mins in Swords before getting to the M1 and from there 15-20 mins to town depending on quays traffic.

Outbound at 07:30-08:00 I think that the times I quoted would be realistic to Swords Village, which is where I stated they were to.

• Advertisement

in google maps there is bus called "swords - city center"

from east wall
    to swords seatown roundabout

is that the swords express ?

also according to google maps

it takes 19min by car to go from East Wall to Swords business Park.
    I understand that bottleneck is swords, is it more 40 min than 19 min for this route during peak hours ? more 20 min during off hours ?

All of the bus routes to/from Swords:

Dublin Bus routes 33, 41, 41b, 41c and 43
    Swords Express

I'd allow 30-35 minutes for Swords Express to get to Swords Village at that time of the morning as per my original post.

All of the pages above have maps showing the route that they take.

really helpful,
    the job is in swords business park indeed.
    so yes to live near the m50 is paramount. I see for example north wall and east wall looks like the best option if u also want to be near city center. According to google maps it takes 33min with the swords city centre, only 16min by car... would u agree ?

That is via the Port Tunnel, which is expensive. http://www.dublintunnel.ie/tolls_and_permitted_vehicles/ Add time for the toll plaza and traffic congestion.

Parts of North Wall and East Wall are nice, but other parts are quite rough.

That is via the Port Tunnel, which is expensive. Add time for the toll plaza and traffic congestion.

Parts of North Wall and East Wall are nice, but other parts are quite rough.

ok, yes indeed.. Am I right saying that this will be 20euros per day then to get there by car and way back. And they provide no discount ? If that's the case, I'll just forget this not so brilliant idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ok, yes indeed.. Am I right saying that this will be 20euros per day then to get there by car and way back. And they provide no discount ? If that's the case, I'll just forget this not so brilliant idea

No you'll be paying 3 euro each way as you'd be going against peak traffic afaik

athtrasna wrote: »
    No you'll be paying 3 euro each way as you'd be going against peak traffic afaik

what u mean ? I haven't said I'd be going against peak traffic. for a 9 to 5 job, from north wall to swords, I read from the website southbound toll charge 0600 — 100 €10 in the morning, and way back northbound toll charge 0600 — 1000 €10 ? am I right ?

No, if you were working 9-5, you would pay €6. The toll structure is to stop commuters to the city blocking the route for port traffic - they would pay €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No, if you were working 9-5, you would pay €6. The toll structure is to stop commuters to the city blocking the route for port traffic - they would pay €20.

Precisely, OP you'd be going north not south

what u mean ? I haven't said I'd be going against peak traffic. for a 9 to 5 job, from north wall to swords, I read from the website southbound toll charge 0600 — 100 €10 in the morning, and way back northbound toll charge 0600 — 1000 €10 ? am I right ?

You would be going northbound in the morning and southbound in the evening. That is against peak traffic flows - most people are coming into the city in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just out of interest- is the Port tunnel toll always €3 at off peak or is that the cash toll? Is there a discount for using a tag over cash, is a tag even possible on the Tunnel ?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just out of interest- is the Port tunnel toll always €3 at off peak or is that the cash toll? Is there a discount for using a tag over cash, is a tag even possible on the Tunnel ?

Everything you need to know is here:
    http://www.dublintunnel.ie/tolls_and_permitted_vehicles/

lxflyer wrote: »
    You would be going northbound in the morning and southbound in the evening. That is against peak traffic flows - most people are coming into the city in the morning!!

all right makes sense, I guess it's my english :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

you can get easily from East Wall to the M50, and not use the tunnel - it's a drive through Fairview, on to the Malahide Road and up the R139 to join the M50/M1 - it would take approx 20minutes in the morning, plus ten minutes from entering the motorway here to Swords.

In the evenings, however, the Malahide Road can be congested in both directions.

I know a lot of my ex colleagues from when I worked in Swords lived in Santry/Ballymun - an apartment complex called Northwood.

Advertisement