Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a few ingredients - help :)

Options
  • 06-10-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I'm originally from Portugal and the thing I miss the most is our pre-packaged tomato pulp (or passata.) The difference I find against the locally sourced products is that our product isn't as sharp or bitter as the regular passatta from lidl/aldi or the organic/bottled passatta from spar, so I normally get away with just 1 tsp of sugar or there abouts when using the portuguese sauce. Anyone got any advice on a passata that has more natural sweetness and therefore requires less sugar? Similarly, I've been searching for a while for packaged chicken/beef stock (not bouillon) - is this something we can find in Dublin at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think it was Mary Berry who said add a teaspoon of redcurrent jelly to any dish that uses tinned tomatoes (or passata) to combat the bitterness. Trouble is, redcurrent jelly is difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

redcurrent jelly is difficult to find.

Tesco section where they stock mustard, mint sauce, seafood sauce, cranberry sauce, relish. Always find them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I know Cork has a Portuguese shop. Surely Dublin has one?
    Maybe an Italian shop might have better quality passata too?
    M&S do ready made stock and I think I've seen it in Tesco too.
    The Knor stockpots are really worth a try - I'm very fussy and I use them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

I know Cork has a Portuguese shop. Surely Dublin has one?
    Maybe an Italian shop might have better quality passata too?
    The Knor stockpots are really worth a try - I'm very fussy and I use them all the time.

There's one in cork and they deliver. I am a regular customer, but they stopped stocking the small packages and are only stocking large glass bottled ones which go off if not used quickly enough. It also requires that we purchase 50 euro or more and sometimes all I want is tomato sauce. That's why I was trying to find a locally sourced alternative :)

Personally, I never noticed amazing results out of the stockpots or cubes, but I should give it a try again - but I'd love to find some unsalted stock like they seem to get in restaurants and super markets in U.S :)

Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭squonk

Check on Amazon for Marigold Unsalted veggie stock. You can get in in various shops around also but none spring to mind. Actually, I've seen it in Tesco in the Free From aisle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've seen the Marigold stock in my local SuperValu.

squonk wrote: »
    Check on Amazon for Marigold Unsalted veggie stock. You can get in in various shops around also but none spring to mind. Actually, I've seen it in Tesco in the Free From aisle.

I was looking for liquid stock. The marigold appears to be bouillon type, which probably is, give-or-take, similar to knorr cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

gagomes wrote: »
    I was looking for liquid stock. The marigold appears to be bouillon type, which probably is, give-or-take, similar to knorr cubes.

Fallon & Byrne sells liquid stock in bottles. Can't remember the brand but I remember getting liquid fish stock there.

If you're really stuck for stock cans of consomé will do the trick - a rather pricy option, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some poster rated the tesco finest stocks very highly, think they were even just having them on their own like soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

rubadub wrote: »
    Some poster rated the tesco finest stocks very highly, think they were even just having them on their own like soup.

Thanks for the tip. Is this the stock in liquid form or the stock cube?

If you're really stuck for stock cans of consomé will do the trick - a rather pricy option, though.

Price is hardly my issue - if it saves me time, it will save me money! Where would I be able to find the cans of consome? I've never heard of it until now :)

rubadub wrote: »

Gordon Ramsay gave it 4 stars, but I didn't expect to find it here.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/jun/08/foodanddrink2

gagomes wrote: »
    Price is hardly my issue - if it saves me time, it will save me money! Where would I be able to find the cans of consome? I've never heard of it until now :)

I would have thought that any supermarket would have consomé with the tinned soups. Look for Baxter's or Campbell's cans. Beef consomé should be around, maybe chicken.

Thanks, I have been today to my local grocery, which normally stocks modern and rare to find ingredients and they didn't have any chicken or beef consomme'. Then tried a local, big tesco and a big supervalu and neither of them had it. On tesco, I found cans of "chicken broth", but they seem to have vegetables, so I am going to sieve those out and see how it works. I also found some knorr liquid stock (touch of taste) and chicken bovril...this last one I've never heard of, but.. I guess there's not much point is not trying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I am surprised that you couldn't get consommé. My local SuperValu stocks it on the tinned soup shelves.

I wouldn't bother with chicken Bovril.
    I tried it as a jar of stock concentrate - not suitable, the taste is all wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I wouldn't bother with chicken Bovril.
    I tried it as a jar of stock concentrat - not ssuitable, the taste is all wrong imo.

Is there any chicken in it ? I know during the Bse hype the beef bovril didn't have any beef in it ..wasn't much different..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement