Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I record a meeting with my phone?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my job about 2 years. I'm a full time permanent employee and the type of work is office administration. I find it very stressful and there is a high turnover of staff.

About 1 year ago I called into a meeting over an error I made. I got very flustered and upset in the meeting and when it was over I could't realy recall what we decided on. I asked my boss for a quick followup chat and it was all resolved. That was over a year ago and I put it behind me.

Now one year later I've made another error and I think I'll be called into a meeting again. My boss regularly rants and curses around the office to me and others and behind closed doors I think he would be even worse. I'm intimated to be honest and I don't think I'd put my case across at all.

Can I record the conversation on my phone in my pocket? If I have to go through 15 minutes of being sworn at I think I'll get upset again. I don't know what I would do with the recording but at least I could listen back and make a list of all the issues he has with my work.

I don't think it'd be possible to bring a witness. It won't be a formal meeting, more a tap on a shoulder come with me meeting and then an explanation demanded from me. I wish I was perfect and made zero errors, there are people quitting all the time and I'm struggling with a workload on my own that three people used to do.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why not simply request it in writing from him? That way you can tick off items and he can't blame you forgot something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Take a notepad and write down the "actions" that the meeting throws up. Any employer would be pissed if you recorded conversations without making them aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No matter what mistake you made, there is no excuse for your boss to shout at you and intimidate you. If he starts shouting tell him you would appreciate if he could stop, that you welcome his feedback but would like to be able to discuss it in a calm and reasonable manner. If he continues to shout, tell him that you find it intimidating and then suggest re-scheduling the meeting for another time when it can be discussed more calmly. Easier said than done I know but he shouldn't be allowed get away with that behaviour.

Make sure to take notes & get him to give you follow up notes on all points raised also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Nody wrote: »
    Why not simply request it in writing from him? That way you can tick off items and he can't blame you forgot something.

Always get everything in writing when you have a tricky boss or one who claims things were not said and ask for the outcome of the meeting and what was discussed to be documented, preferably with both of you signing the actions to be taken if it's formal.

In a previous role I had a boss who was out to get me for a while (long story) it got to the stage where I did not speak to him at all in the office about anything but minor things apart from in meetings and did everything by email and writing and where it could be recorded. He tried to cause problems for me on a number of occasions yet each time the paper trail came back to haunt him and he didn't get very far.

Without the paperwork it would have been his word against mine if it went to HR etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Always bring a notebook/laptop into any meeting and write notes, this is pretty much expected behaviour whereas recording would not really be ok at all.

Its also generally the norm that, after a meeting like that, that you would write up what's been agreed and action points and send it to the boss saying that this is your understanding of the meetings outcome.

That said life is way way to short to have anyone at work swear AT you. There are loads of passive ways to diffuse that but it really is as simple as letting another person know how they can and cannot behave around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Don't wait for the tap on the shoulder, take the initiative, ask for the meeting and deal with the issue on your terms.

Before the meeting, identify the cause of the error and what you will be doing to avoid having the error happen again, perhaps a checklist or change in the task process/procedure.

The meeting will then have a different tone, you seeking approval of a improvement plan vs. your boss sounding out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

My boss regularly rants and curses around the office to me and others and behind closed doors I think he would be even worse.

Sorry I can't advise you on the recording... But I would not tolerate that kind of behavior from anyone.

Any time that that kind of thing has happened to me in the past 25 years I've always reacted in the same manner: Slowly start packing up my stuff and head for the door... when asked what I'm doing, I respond: 'I'm sorry but I do not accept that kind of behavior from anyone, please let me know when you have regained your composure and we can continue'. It never happens a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

No harm in recording it for your own benefit providing you don't play it back for your co-workers. What your boss doesn't know won't hurt him.

As for a ranting and raving boss, it's best to let him rant and rave until he's said what he wants to say. When he genuinely has calmed down you can say "lesson learned, won't happen again." It's also a good idea to understand how your mistake occurred and put something in place so it can't happen again. e.g. add a manual check into the process to catch that particular error.

Advertisement