Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Squat + Deadlift for novice

• 06-10-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello,

What should a person at 5ft 10inch @ 75kg be able to squat/deadlift?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭CWF

Hello,

Thanks

Bench x1.25 Body Weight, Squat x1.5 and x2 Deadlift is a general indication that an athlete has a decent level of strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

CWF wrote: »
    Bench x1.25 Body Weight, Squat x1.5 and Deadlift is a general indication that an athlete has a decent level of strength.

This is for a trained person and 1RM. Do not attempt this if it's your first time doing the movements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hello,

Thanks

How long have you been training?

How often do you squat and deadlift?

Hello,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maesrichard1

I never squat or deadlift due to back issues but ive been advised by a top doctor in santry who gave me a programme and ill be starting today along with alot of core work. Im a competitive cyclist who attends the gym for 4/5 from october to march while the racing season is over. In the past ive deen using light free weights. Dead lifting/squats is going to be a learning curve. I will focus on technique/form for the first few weeks.

• Advertisement

I never squat or deadlift due to back issues but ive been advised by a top doctor in santry who gave me a programme and ill be starting today along with alot of core work. Im a competitive cyclist who attends the gym for 4/5 from october to march while the racing season is over. In the past ive deen using light free weights. Dead lifting/squats is going to be a learning curve. I will focus on technique/form for the first few weeks.

Then don't worry about what you should be able to because there isn't really an answer you can give based on height and weight.

Just start light and get your form right. If you take the template of something like Stronglifts or Starting Strength for a progression in both, you'll be fine but don't worry about how light the bar is to start with. Just focus on getting the technique right. The weight on the bar will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Cycling from what I remember can shorten the psoas which can lead to posture issues due to anterior pelvic tilt which is relevant when deadlifting.
    I'm no expert but Google that sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Cycling from what I remember can shorten the psoas which can lead to posture issues due to anterior pelvic tilt which is relevant when deadlifting.
    I'm no expert but Google that sh1t!

Correct. I had a seriously pelvic tilt which I'm sure caused my crappy deadlifting before back in the day when I was cycling competitively.

Every cyclist needs to be thought mobility work and IMO some form of strength work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

for a beginner there's no right answer, just go in and get your form correct, stay consistent and add weight every session that you can

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

I'm the same as u. 5'10 and 75kg and starting doing the big 3 lifts. A friend is a very good personal trainer and has told me that as I'm a novice that I'm only to lift a weight that I do 5x5 with perfect form. I found before I got the trainng and advice that's its easy /struggle to lift heavy weights with bad form. As I'm a cyclist too I think form is the most important as I wish to go back cycling. I figured out my 1RM at the start and aim to be between 10-20% stronger if I can at the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

I'm finding 5x5 Stronglifts very good, just start with an empty bar, yeah sure do a few skips in weight but not too many. I just did the program every day as I'm a novice and when I got to 40kg on squats my form was good, mobility was good and stuck with the program rigidly from there (3 days per week). I'm a cyclist too, 67kg in squats killed me there a few weeks back, deloaded to 60, easy, form was much better and just did 75kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

Forgot, if your coming from cycling then chances are your adductors (groin) will be weak and lagging behind the rest of your legs, you'll need these up to speed when throwing your knees out and in, squatting. Here's a good general prehab routine that I found and needed. Good for hips all round and will sort out any tightness.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vGqXstaAvM

Advertisement