Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nighttime" Nappies

Options
  • 06-10-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Our three year old has been daytime toilet trained for approx 1 year now (only took 2 - 3 days). We have recently made the decision to lose the "nighttime" nappy. Been at it 8 days now and have had only 1 dry morning. We have a protective cover on the mattress but it's still a nightmare changing sheets etc every day and we've also had to bring the duvet to a laudrette twice already. We went straight from nappies to knickers and in hindsight maybe should have went to pull ups for a while first. At this point we're strongly considering reverting to pull ups for at least a few weeks to try and get the penny to drop.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips / experiences to share etc from going through the same thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think pullups are much more than a gimmick to be honest.

I'd try putting the nappies back on at night, and basically wait until you have a few dry nappies in a row in the morning before you try again at taking them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't think pullups are much more than a gimmick to be honest.

I'd try putting the nappies back on at night, and basically wait until you have a few dry nappies in a row in the morning before you try again at taking them off.

This is what I did, waited until we had dry nappies for a good few nights in a row then took them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

deeks wrote: »
    Our three year old has been daytime toilet trained for approx 1 year now (only took 2 - 3 days). We have recently made the decision to lose the "nighttime" nappy. Been at it 8 days now and have had only 1 dry morning. We have a protective cover on the mattress but it's still a nightmare changing sheets etc every day and we've also had to bring the duvet to a laudrette twice already. We went straight from nappies to knickers and in hindsight maybe should have went to pull ups for a while first. At this point we're strongly considering reverting to pull ups for at least a few weeks to try and get the penny to drop.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips / experiences to share etc from going through the same thing?

God in my experience I'd leave him \her for another while.
    My oldest went great with day time training and took off great initially with night time training.
    But then regressed and 5\7. I used to be up changing sheets.

So i left her another while it's only now at 4 and 3 months she's dry and asking to take off her pull up.

I'm just slightly reluctant as I gave a 5 week old and A (terrible) two yr old who won't stay in her room.
    And I'm not changing sheets also!
    She only in last month has had regular dry nights.
    It will come but maybe wait a bit.

We use the aldi pull ups or the no 6 aldi nappies..
    . Never a problem with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

pullups just confuse the hell out of our guy. we also went straight for underpants, but put pullups on for long car journeys (when he has to go he has to go, not so good when you're on the road and cant stop quickly), but then he just pees in them and doesnt want to use the potty -as its much easier to pee in nappy obviously.

maybe wait a while longer and see what happens. we use a smaller toddler blanket that can go into the washing machine - handy for all sorts of accidents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Are the accidents late at night? We normally lift our little one to the toilet when we're going to bed and she 'lasts' fine then until the morning because she wouldn't be drinking at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can buy disposable "sheets" to go over the sheet and just dump them if they get wet.
    Boots do an own brand one and huggies sell the normal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter is day trained sinve mid august.
    Since then she goes to bed at 7pm in pants. We used lift her at 11 pm to the toilet and then put a nappy on (shes still half aslerp so doesnt notice) she was dry most morning but for the past 2 weeks shes been consistently dry. So for the past 2 nights we dont put a nappy on after we lift her at 11pm. We have a protector under her sheet too.
    If she starts having accidents id go back to putting nappy on at 11pm.
    For car journeys we bring the potty in thd boot. We havent been on a journey over an hour long so have been safe. I doubt she would pee in nappy. Last week we were swimming and when we got out and were showering she kept saying she had to go. I had my togs off head full of shampoo so told her it was ok (toilets are ag the other end of changing rooms) but nope i had to grab my towel dry us off and bring her as she was getging a lil worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I thought that staying dry at night is a developmental thing. It only happens when a certain hormone is produced so you can't exactly train kids at night, it will only happen when they're physically ready.

Found this information on http://www.pediatricurologyinformation.com/toiletTraining/topic.html
    As mentioned, at night there is also anti-diuretic hormone produced that helps concentrate and cut down how much urine is made through the night. ADH is produced by the brain at night but is not produced during the day. With ADH you will make less urine per hour through the night than you do during the day. In some respects this is because you are not drinking or eating through the night. However, even if you were, with ADH you would still make less urine per hour at night than during the day. This may, in part, be what allows us to sleep 8-10 hours at night without needing to get up to pee or void, when during the day we may be going to the bathroom every 3-4 hours.

As such, the body goes through a fairly specific sequence of toilet training. First, you get control of the bowels at night. Second, you get control of the bowels during the day. Third, you get control of the bladder during the day. Fourth, and last, you get control of the bladder at night.

Pull ups won't hold much wee so for night time I would just go back to nappies. You will know when she is ready when the nappy seems drier in the morning. I've just started potty training with my daughter and she is doing great during the day but her nappies in the morning are so heavy. I'm not going to try at night for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Meath08

When I started toilet training my kids, I put a pull up (or nappy) on at night over their knickers/pants until they were dry for a week without an accident. Then I stopped using the pull ups. They quickly realised it was less comfortable if they wet themselves as the knickers/pants couldn't keep the moisture away from their skin like a pull up/nappy. I had dry beds and the kids were quickly trained. Admittedly I think they were ready for night time training as I couldn't have kept that up long term if they were wet every night - I would have felt too mean! The pull ups are confusing for them so the use of underwear ensures it continues to feel like underwear against their skin.

Advertisement