Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Minister wrote: »
    Hi,

I am being made redundant in a few weeks. I lam separated and live in a rented house. My rent is €600 pm. I have kids that visit, also. The family home is empty and for sale as my ex wife moved out with the kids and lives elsewhere.

Can anyone tell me if I will qualify for rent allowance as I have a share in the family home which is empty. In court the judge advised my ex wife to move back in to the family home with the kids. She has declined this advice.
    Thanks,
    M

I would say purely under the rules of the system, you don't qualify as you still own a house and you're still working. In reality, I don't know how they deal with these situations so you'd need to speak to the CWO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I would say purely under the rules of the system, you don't qualify as you still own a house and you're still working. In reality, I don't know how they deal with these situations so you'd need to speak to the CWO.

Thanks for that. I will be unemployed from 11th january so will go to CWO.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hqd

Minister wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I will be unemployed from 11th january so will go to CWO.
    M

You won't be eligible when working alright but you may be eligible for rent allowance when unemployed (It will be looked at on a case by case basis).

If while you are currently working your income is under €36,000 I would make the application now as you will be trying to get an adapted HNA for rent allowance (It will have to be adapted as you currently own property and chances are you won't get this on the day you apply).

If you are over the income limit at the minute just use your time to get as much details on the property you own as possible i.e. proof it is up for sale, letter from a solicitor stating how money from sale will be split (if there is any), letter from bank showing how much money owed on mortgage (or arrears if there is any), printout of Daft showing how much property is on sale from.

While technically you shouldn't need to apply for the housing list because you are paying your own rent in general CWO's will make you apply due to the property ownership

Advertisement