Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuel injectors for diesel citroen

• 06-10-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30

10 year old Diesel C3 (150k km) has a rattling engine for a while and once has been difficult to start.
    Garage (who has always been very good) says that two of the fuel injectors are gone. They didn't know exactly on Saturday how much they would be to replace but seem to think it would be about €500. There's no way I can afford that.

They also talked about getting them reconditioned instead - they are getting back to me today with a price on that.
    Should I be careful about who does the reconditioning? Will it make a difference or is it fairly standard stuff?
    Is it worth getting the other two cleaned or something at the same time?
    Is it worth looking in UK for new injectors myself? Should I be looking at some of the car parts sites?

The car has a rattle and was difficult to start only once. What would happen if I didn't get these injectors replaced at all?

Any advice would be great.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Almost all cars will be difficult to start once or twice, can be anything.. Did you have to jump it to get it running?
    What's the rattling? Did the garage offer a suggestion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 lokii

Thanks for reply biko.
    I didn't need to jump it - it just took three or four attempts and a heavy foot on the accelerator to get it going.
    Garage are saying that the rough sound of the engine (kind of like a rattle) is caused by the failed injectors. Would that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

engine rattle could be the bottom end , does it chug or feel down in power when you accelerate ?

pudzey101 wrote: »
    engine rattle could be the bottom end , does it chug or feel down in power when you accelerate ?

Thanks for reply pudzey.
    It doesn't feel low in power when I accelerate but it does chug when I start it.

hmmm my audi a4 was down in power a good bit with 1 injector failing :/ id take it to a second mechanic for a 2nd opinion and mention nothing about fuel injectors just to see . nothing worse than shelling out 500 quid and having the same problem 200 yards down the road :)

• Advertisement

Thanks pudzey - have been thinking the same thing about getting a second opinion.
    They are talking 500 for each injector so 1,000 for parts alone!!
    Car itself isn't worth much more than that ;-)

yeah go for the second opinion just to see :) thats crazy money for a 10year old c4 :o youd probably pick up a fairly good secondhand engine for that money !! lol let us know how u get on , if i were u id get 2 used injectors from a scrappy if it was them failing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

It is common for these HDi engines to have injector issues, but it definitely should not cost 500 per injector for reconditioning. Have your garage proven irrefutably that it is the injectors at fault? An injector leak off test is a good test to start with and do ask your garage to explain to you the steps they have taken to reach their diagnosis...then at least you know its not potentially guesswork. It wont hurt to get a second opinion/quotation before you make your decision.

Thanks all for the advice. Just to let you know what happened: all four injectors were removed and sent off for testing. Two of them were fine but two were not. It cost €150 (each) to get them reconditioned. New fuel filter went in too. Been a costly business but rattling from the engine is gone car and car seems more lively now. Thanks again.

Advertisement