Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Cookie Cutter cookies?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi - I would not be the most proficient of bakers but I can usually follow a recipe with a bit of intuition!

I have some Halloween themed cookie cutters (bats/cats/moon/pumpkin!) & want to make black cookies! I have a simple sugar cookie recipe - can I just add in the black food dye (or a mixture of colours to make the black) or will this ruin the cookies?

Should I paint them with black icing at the end instead?

Any suggestions/ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd use black icing because I don't think adding food colouring would work. It would probably just make them a dirty greyish brown colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Thank you! I knew there was probably a good reason not to put it in the mixture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I wonder what's in oreos? They are fairly black.

You could use cocoa to get it pretty dark, and then add a bit of colour too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    I wonder what's in oreos? They are fairly black.

You could use cocoa to get it pretty dark, and then add a bit of colour too.

That's not a bad idea. You'd need to use a gel colour, I'm imagine. Liquids won't have enough pigment and they'll make the mixture too watery I'd guess.

Advertisement