Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle parking near Blanchardstown Centre

Options
  • 06-10-2014 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I am considering a new commute option to help lose some weight- cycling from home to the centre , then getting the 39/a to work, then cycling from there to home in Ongar(cycle lanes all the way at least) in the evening.

Is there anywhere safe I could leave a bike all day close to the bus stops at the centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you want it to be there when you get back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

That would be nice..

Actually when I was younger I had a bike stolen from the centre, I was in Xtravision for less than a minute dropping a DVD back and when I came out the bike was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I am considering a new commute option to help lose some weight- cycling from home to the centre , then getting the 39/a to work, then cycling from there to home in Ongar(cycle lanes all the way at least) in the evening.

Is there anywhere safe I could leave a bike all day close to the bus stops at the centre?

Being honest I'm going to say no. There's a bike shelter outside 53 degrees north, near the bus stop. It would only be a matter of time before your bike gets nicked. I live in dublin 15 and wouldn't bother leaving a bike there.

Where's your work? Unless you considered getting a bike locker at coolmine station and getting the train or 37 - the 39 passes coolmine cross which is only a 5 min walk away. That's the only way I could see avoiding the disappointment of a nicked / vandalised bike

Work is on Hume St. Don't fancy cycling the whole way, I'm not comfortable to ride on the roads as I would need to(plus, you know, it would be over an hour, not fun). The train option is a bit of a pain, but thanks, it's not a bad idea.

Maybe I should get a folding bike or something.

Work is on Hume St. Don't fancy cycling the whole way, I'm not comfortable to ride on the roads as I would need to. The train option is a bit of a pain, but thanks, it's not a bad idea.

Maybe I should get a folding bike or something.

What about drive to the Phoenix park and bike from there? I do carpenters town to merrion sq daily - handy commute. You can build up slowly and get used to the traffic - it can be intimidating at first but you will get used to it

• Advertisement

Don't have a car or license.

Don't have a car or license.

Ah ok. Well if your bike is going to be your primary means of travel, perhaps a bike locker is worth considering. I've also considered parking a bike in less expected places - like a few floors up on a high rise car park. Anything to keep your bike from the watchful eye of the local scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

There's bike lockers at hansfield station. You could cycle there and get the train to pearse?

That could work as well, but it's only a 5 minute cycle so hardly worth it(especially when I don't currently even own a bike).

I was hoping to get a decent enough cycle in at the morning and evening to use up some of my dead commuting time to getting much needed exercise. Looks like the only way to do that is a bike locker(which looks like a pain in the ass) and train(which would take as long as the bus but still leave me 15 minutes from work)- I didn't think the area was so unsafe for bikes.

That could work as well, but it's only a 5 minute cycle so hardly worth it(especially when I don't currently even own a bike).

Obvious solution then. Get a folding bike, and bring it with you.

• Advertisement

Yeah, leaning towards that too(mentioned it in an earlier post). But to be honest I am not spending >€1k on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

have a look around Blanch garda station and you may find somewhere to lock it and get a bus in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I cycle from clonsilla to st Stephens green. Takes about 30-40 minutes (40 minutes letting the bike nearly cycle itself). You would be much better off cycling the whole way if you want to lose weight/get fitter - its not a hard as you might think and taking the bus will take at least as long. Going very slow it shouldn't take you longer than an hour from Ongar. The reason I say cycle all the way is also because you won't want to get on the bus wet which will limit the days you cycle whereas IF you have the option of a shower in work then getting wet doesn't matter with the right gear.

The route you would take into the city centre would be through the park which has a cycle path the whole way. Then along the quays, across o connell bridge and so on. This is not a bad route and it wouldn't take you long to get used to cycling on the road.

The train option is not bad as you can sign up to dublin bikes (€20 per year), getting a bike there and dropping off on St Stephens green, cutting the time from pearse to work down to 5-7 minutes.

Sorry, no, I am not cycling in Dublin traffic along the quays, I would get myself killed. Don't have access to a shower at work. I have considered it but an hour(and that is what it would actually be) in the morning and evening in life-threatening circumstances is not what I need. And to be honest, I don't want to have the label 'cyclist' applied to me, the behaviour and attitudes of others on this site and elsewhere make it a dirty word.

Never mind.

Sorry, no, I am not cycling in Dublin traffic along the quays, I would get myself killed. Don't have access to a shower at work. I have considered it but an hour(and that is what it would actually be) in the morning and evening in life-threatening circumstances is not what I need. And to be honest, I don't want to have the label 'cyclist' applied to me, the behaviour and attitudes of others on this site and elsewhere make it a dirty word.

Never mind.

? :confused: Your comment is odd. If you're on a bike, you're a cyclist. You may get questionable advice from here on in.

Have you considered a tricycle? It say a tricycle would be just the thing for the requirements you outline. You should buy a tricycle. Immediately. A blue one. With a bell. *

* Serious advice. Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I cycled in and out of the city centre for 5+ years as a commuter using your exact route, Ongar to South Dublin City. To be honest, I always felt more at risk in the suburbs than in the city centre. Traffic in the suburbs is moving faster and not as aware of cyclists. In the city centre, people tend to be more alert, using their mirrors and driving slower/stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

But to be honest I am not spending >€1k on a bike.
    The Bike To Work Scheme, if available at your workplace would make buying a 1k bike much less, furthermore, you don't have to buy a 1k bike. My Specialized Sirrus was e750 and has done thousands of miles, a good bit of it carrying two children (one on crossbar seat, the other on a rear seat).

The Specialized Sirrus Sport is 640 at CycleWays.
    A Bike To Work Calculator shows a e740 bike (inclusive of accessories) costing e510 on the scheme.

Ongar to city centre is an intimidating distance, certainly initially, but as you get fitter you'd get faster.
    The bike locker is a good idea and good security and you won't be sweaty. The walk at the city end is good exercise - one of your goals. And the train is always faster than the bus.

As for the lack of shower (which is a shame), I've seen recommendations to bring your work clothes in your bag (I recommend getting panniers so no sweaty back) and change in the office. Baby wipes or similar will suffice instead of a shower. If there is space you could lobby your employer to install a shower.

Don't know if B2W is available here, it is a small company. Not really any chance of a shower, it is a period building and there is not any room. Besides that, almost everyone in the building cycles in(definitely more than 75% of people), including the head boss, and despite that there has not been a shower installed. I don't really want to change and wipe myself down with baby wipes like a homeless person..

Still, even with B2W, I don't really want to pay that much for a bike either, but thanks.

Like I said, never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

FWIW I cycled to my weekend job at the Centre every weekend for about 2 years, would have been leaving the bike almost all day. I used to lock it at the racks outside Veritas, which has a bit more foot traffic, plus I think the racks themselves have been replaced recently. I used two heavy-duty locks though: one cable, one U-lock, makes for a bit of a deterrent at least. If you were prepared to splash out a bit on 2 good locks the bike might stand a better chance of being there when you got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Was this just another thread to bash on cyclists?

how far is your commute to work?
    Cycling safety is all about the person on the bike, it can be as dangerous, or as safe as you want it to be.

• Advertisement

It's 15-17km depending on route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Op, you don't have a lot of choice because of your inflexible wants. Your only real option is to use the coolmine bike lockers and get the 37 bus 3-4 mins walk from there.

The idea of not wanting to be labelled a "cyclist" because of the actions of some is immature. Once you get on your bike you are a cyclist whether you like it or not. If you think wearing cycling gear is what makes you look like one of those "cyclists" you will soon find out why those "cyclists" wear that gear if you plan on cycling regularly (as in not only when it is dry). Also I find it is the non-"cyclists" who tend to make the most dangerous manoeuvres on the road, break red lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Besides that, almost everyone in the building cycles in(definitely more than 75% of people), including the head boss, and despite that there has not been a shower installed. I don't really want to change and wipe myself down with baby wipes like a homeless person.
    What do the other "cyclists" in the office do?

As for wiping yourself down - necessity is the mother of invention.

If you want to lose weight you've got to work at it. "No pain, no gain"

I used to cycle from Carpenterstown to East Point Business Park (near Clontarf Road). 9 miles. I was lucky to have a shower on site.
    I used it as free exercise - I would push it. I could get 50km/h on the Navan Road in the Nephin Road area. When I did running races during the year the hard cycling served as extra workouts.
    If the weather was crap I'd jog to Coolmine train station, train to Drumcondra and jog the remaining 2 miles. If I didn't jog I'd walk fast.
    Still, even with B2W, I don't really want to pay that much for a bike either, but thanks.
    "You get what you pay for" and "Buy cheap, buy twice" (I'm full of the clichés this morning).
    When I was younger I had crap bikes. Cycling on them was a chore - slow, they were heavy and they needed a lot of repairs. No such troubles on the Sirrus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sorry, no, I am not cycling in Dublin traffic along the quays, I would get myself killed.

Never mind.

You won't be killed, and you don't have to go any where near the quays. But you will be a cyclist.

Go via the Phoenix Park, up through Kilmainhan and along the canal.

daymobrew wrote: »
    What do the other "cyclists" in the office do?

Not shower, obviously. I think they might change shirts.

Anyway, I've changed my mind. **** it. I've unfollowed this thread so don't bother replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

After insulting every cyclist in the country, fair play. You'll go far in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yeah, leaning towards that too(mentioned it in an earlier post). But to be honest I am not spending >€1k on a bike.

For others who might read this. I picked up a 2nd hand folding bike for under 200. But you can buy a decent basic folding bike for cheap money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dahon-Boardwalk-Obsidian-Folding-Bicycle/dp/B001UL5MQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412773035&sr=8-1&keywords=dahon+boardwalk

The more you pay the lighter, and more compact it will be but that dahon is basic, simple to maintain. Very handy for train, or boot of a car, put under a desk. You won't carry it very far as its steel.

You wouldn't cycle long distances, or do hills with it. But you could get off the train a few stops early and cycle some of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Another option is an electric assisted bicycle. It would make that kind of distance more realistic for someone who's not fit.

I did D.15 to D.4 on and off for a number of years. I can appreciate it daunting for someone not used to cycling. It took me a while to build up to it. I never did it every day though.

You need to experiment with finding a route that you are comfortable. For example the canal route is a good one. Much nicer than the quays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, I think the OP has left this thread (presumably not on a bike) so I'm going to close it as it's been bizarre to say the least so far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement