Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed Bugs

Options
  • 06-10-2014 1:31pm

Can I get some advice please?

My friend's tenant called him over to their house today .. he went over and was told there are bed bugs in the house. The mattresses were downstairs and the tenants had ripped skirting off the wall, I presume to try to locate the source of the bugs.

Anyway, my query is whether it is up to him to sort this out and pay for everything (they want him to get a skip, get new beds, fumigate the place) but they have been living there for 10 months without any sign of bed bugs so is it his responsibility or theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can I get some advice please?

My friend's tenant called him over to their house today .. he went over and was told there are bed bugs in the house. The mattresses were downstairs and the tenants had ripped skirting off the wall, I presume to try to locate the source of the bugs.

Anyway, my query is whether it is up to him to sort this out and pay for everything (they want him to get a skip, get new beds, fumigate the place) but they have been living there for 10 months without any sign of bed bugs so is it his responsibility or theirs?

First things first, who says they have bed bugs? You need a professional opinion, bed bugs can be pretty hard to identify correctly. It could be something else thats biting them. If it is bed bugs, you still need the professional help regardless as its next to impossible to kill them off without the use of under the counter chemicals.

Lastly, if it is bed bugs the landlord should pay as they are a pest infestation. Bed bugs can migrate from neighbouring houses if they are joined(semi D or terrace), can live for well over a year within the house until they are activated(previous tenants). You have no idea of knowing how they came into the house and like a wasp nest, bats, wood worm etc, landlord is responsible for removal from the property within reason.

If there are no bed bugs(which is a possibility), I'd be charging for removing skirting boards(since they undoubtedly did damage during the process).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They should call rentokill or other company that deals with pest controls. We had an issues before with them. If the tenants have been on holiday there usually found in luggage. Little buggers can get into sockets and other hard to see place's.

You have to find if there bed bugs or other pests first

can live for well over a year within the house until they are activated(previous tenants).

Sorry! Should have said the tenant is there two years.
    Gatling wrote: »
    If the tenants have been on holiday there usually found in luggage. Little buggers can get into sockets and other hard to see place's.

One of the tenants is an air hostess and they have a dog.

Will advise him to get on to Rentokill immediately. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Could be bed bugs or fleas even .

The best place to look for bedbugs is the seams of mattress and suitcases

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think that falls into the "within reason" tickbox. Its pretty common problem nowadays with hotels and by proxy frequent travellers. She would be very aware of this also.

Regardless, get the professionals in. An old landlord of mine ignored my instructions when I discovered them biting me and my girlfriend. I moved. She ended up having to get 14 apartments done at once at huge expense twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This is more likely to be fleas from the dog! get the landlord to check around the edge of the mattress where the edge stitching is, look along the seams lifting the fabric and use a magnifying glass and if there are bed bugs there will be dirt from them or tiny spots of blood or actual bugs. For wooden frames take up some of the wooden lats and check the ends and corners for the bugs.

Bed bugs are very easy to pick up on luggage and coats etc when people are travelling. years ago a traveller would never put their bag or coat onto the bed in a hotel or guest house and would never pack their cases on their bed but nowadays people are lazy and will take the easiest option but greatly increase the risk of picking up hitch-hikers!

Years ago people would also never allow shoes near beds or other seats because they can also carry bugs, they would never lie on a bed without taking their shoes off!

If I was the landlord I would firstly check the mattress and if no signs I would then go to the local chemist or vets practice and ask for "spot on" or other flea and tick treatment, the small bottle that you squirt at the back of the dogs neck is the best. they will also need a worm dose suitable for tapeworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Dogs don't transfer or get Bed bugs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement