Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNIB Liosban

Options
  • 06-10-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Quick question if anyone can answer.

Am trying to get my spouse registered at GNIB and was told at Liosban that you need to come at 7 for a ticket.

Have since heard various horror stories about being there from 4AM just to get a ticket.

Can anyone advise if it's still that crazy?

There is no information anywhere about this.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

I have from time to time seen a few people maybe 4 or 5 hanging around outside at 6.45 in the morning. Never seen a massive queue or huge crowds hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

People have apparently been queueing from 5 some days :eek:
    They were only making appointments for students this year.
    A friend of mine had one, but apparently this caused a backlog for everyone else - he went in for an appointment but the others were queueing in between appointments.
    Not as bad as it used to be, and I'd say (as another poster mentioned) not a huge amount of people there at the crack of dawn. Still I would get there a bit earlier if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I know it doesn't mention Galway but maybe this can be of some help to you
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=31&Lang=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Just to follow up.

Was in at 6.45 and got number 3, at 7.30 when it opened.

Very pleasant experience thereafter, very courteous and friendly Garda.

We were dealt with in about 10 minutes once our number was called.

Only one staff member, so now I can understand and empathize on the state of things.

Anyway may be useful in the future for others.

Thanks for the inputs above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Just to follow up.

Was in at 6.45 and got number 3, at 7.30 when it opened.

Very pleasant experience thereafter, very courteous and friendly Garda.

We were dealt with in about 10 minutes once our number was called.

Only one staff member, so now I can understand and empathize on the state of things.

Anyway may be useful in the future for others.

Thanks for the inputs above.

It is also very seasonal. August/September is very busy with new students registering.

Last time we went down, we strolled in about 10am, waiting a few minutes and back out for 10:30. If you call a day or so in advance, they can guide you a guide as to how busy it is and suggest a "good time" to attend, they are good like that, and it helps them even the load.

And (as you said) always kind, courteous, friendly and helpful.

• Advertisement

It is also very seasonal. August/September is very busy with new students registering.

Last time we went down, we strolled in about 10am, waiting a few minutes and back out for 10:30. If you call a day or so in advance, they can guide you a guide as to how busy it is and suggest a "good time" to attend, they are good like that, and it helps them even the load.

And (as you said) always kind, courteous, friendly and helpful.

Yes, even in to October there's a bit of a backlog. If you can go in the 'off' months, apparently it's a whole different world! For a lot of people permits are yearly to the month, or depending on the student year you may not have a choice.

Monday and Tuesday have only one person on, but Wed-Fri have more (tip I just heard).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a friend was, out, and chatted with some people who taken the advice (from by phoning) to 'come early'.

They seem so much more organised and polite than a few years ago.

Thanks for the update OP, glad you had an easy time.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Hi sorry if it seems nosey but what goes on in the GNIB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Garda Immigration Bureau - where non EU migrants go to get their visas. Very important place for students and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

ah so thats that place

i've seen poeple queuing from 6 am but only on some days. can't say on recent times if it is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Vrinda

Hi,
    I was wondering what's the addresss of Immigration office in Galway, where one can register as non EEA national after arriving in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The GNIB office is located at Unit 2, Liosbaun Industrial Estate, Tuam Road, Galway. The telephone number is 091 768002 and the fax number is 091 768003. The GNIB in Galway provides an immigration registration service.

And a link to an old thread about queing times: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92497854

Vrinda wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering what's the addresss of Immigration office in Galway, where one can register as non EEA national after arriving in the country.

The address is just
    just
    Liosban industrial estate.

The streets in it don't have names.

This map may help http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/liosban-industrial-estate-business-park.html

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

From experience, I'd recommend arriving early as queues can be quite large.

Pizarro wrote: »
    From experience, I'd recommend arriving early as queues can be quite large.

Quite often, one can stroll in at noon, and have the place to yourself, it's can be very seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Quite often, one can stroll in at noon, and have the place to yourself, it's can be very seasonal.

Yes I've had that experience the last time I was there. When they were in the bigger office the wait was longer.

Sorry to drag up my old thread, anyone been in there in the last week or so - we need to renew wondering what time we need to set the alarm!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I passed by yesterday morning around 7AM and there were 6 people outside. Hope that helps!

Butterface wrote: »
    I passed by yesterday morning around 7AM and there were 6 people outside. Hope that helps!

Afaik they are only seeing set student appointments at the moment. Ring them and ask

inisboffin wrote: »
    Afaik they are only seeing set student appointments at the moment. Ring them and ask

Thank you inisboffin, it can be hard to get them on the phone but I did and they said to wait until next week as they still have the tail of the student period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 safina

do I need to take an appointment or just walk in, I heard recently they ask to take an appointment

• Advertisement

safina wrote: »
    do I need to take an appointment or just walk in, I heard recently they ask to take an appointment

Give them a call - it can take a few goes to get thru but they should not be very busy at this time of year and they will let you know.

Also do note that if you are outside Galway city/immediate suburbs, check with your local Garda station as there may well be someone assigned to deal with immigration.

For example, Loughrea have an immigration officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

safina wrote: »
    Last time I was there, in October, they didn't require an appointment.

Last time I was there, in October, they didn't require an appointment.

It's seasonal, call them and ask is the best approach.

Give them a call - it can take a few goes to get thru but they should not be very busy at this time of year and they will let you know.

Also do note that if you are outside Galway city/immediate suburbs, check with your local Garda station as there may well be someone assigned to deal with immigration.

For example, Loughrea have an immigration officer.

Still?

Salthill had one, for South Connemara, but lost it a few years ago.

Advertisement