Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sion Hill Road, Drumcondra

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi everyone,

By any chance has anyone bought a three bed at the back? If so, does it have the extra piece of wall that goes in front part of the window!? Is the reason for that structural?

Also, re. adding a few sockets and moving the thermostat from the living area to the kitchen and plumbing the bath for a shower, have any of you requested this? If so, was it expensive or included? Please PM me :)

The pier is a planning constraint as far as I know. They had to have this particular design.

As for the alterations, I can't answer that but if you ask Gerry nicely on site, maybe he can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

By any chance has anyone bought a three bed at the back? If so, does it have the extra piece of wall that goes in front part of the window!? Is the reason for that structural?
    It's a spot to put your bins, saves you lugging them through the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hankat80

I bought a 3 bed mid-terraced in the last release a fortnight ago.
    Received an email this week regards converting the attic - it's circa €10k.
    I don't know has anyone else done the same in their 3 bed in the development?
    I'm unsure what his means for planning regulations too..
    Any guidance appreciated.

Hankat80 wrote: »
    We weren't offered the actual attic conversion, what they offered us for about 10k was just to install the stairs to the attic, and then we could convert the attic later (subject to planning). Maybe double check what you getting for the 10k. I was only being offered a stairs to an unconverted attic.

Don't think any of the 3 beds are in yet so not sure anyone else will have had it complete yet.

You're correct- sorry, that's the same as I've been offered.
    I don't understand what planning permission is required?
    As in, all that is incorporated in the €10k price, what else is required to turn it into a 'bedroom'.
    Also, can I ask/price velux with them at this stage?

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    We weren't offered the actual attic conversion, what they offered us for about 10k was just to install the stairs to the attic, and then we could convert the attic later (subject to planning). Maybe double check what you getting for the 10k. I was only being offered a stairs to an unconverted attic.

Don't think any of the 3 beds are in yet so not sure anyone else will have had it complete yet.
    You're correct- sorry, that's the same as I've been offered.
    I don't understand what planning permission is required?
    As in, all that is incorporated in the €10k price, what else is required to turn it into a 'bedroom'.

Planning is not an issue. It's compliance with part b of the building regulations that's an issue. Once the fixed stairs is on, you need a fire door up in the attic, interlinked smoke detection, self closers on all the habitable room doors and ground and first level and one escapable window in the attic room itself.

I assume these are being offered after closing and completion certs are issued?

Think kceire covered the other questions.

I think the problem will be the schedule. If they spend another week turning your attic into a bedroom, it puts out the move in date for someone else. You can ask them for a price, but it'll likely be done a few months after you move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Kceire - thanks for the replies above!

Re. adding a stairs up to the attic - I presume the size of the attic is the same as the 4 bed (Type B)? i.e. you could end up with the same size/layout of bedroom and en-suite, and mini-study/storage room? The only difference would be that you would have to have skylights (planning permission dependent) instead of the window?

It's tempting to do it now as opposed to do it down the line. Anybody take a wild guess as to how much it would cost to finish the conversion if the stairs were put in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smilley004

Kceire - thanks for the replies above!

Re. adding a stairs up to the attic - I presume the size of the attic is the same as the 4 bed (Type B)? i.e. you could end up with the same size/layout of bedroom and en-suite, and mini-study/storage room? The only difference would be that you would have to have skylights (planning permission dependent) instead of the window?

It's tempting to do it now as opposed to do it down the line. Anybody take a wild guess as to how much it would cost to finish the conversion if the stairs were put in now?

Hi thunderbolt!

We have opted to get the stairs and from what we heard at the launch its about a further €40k to convert. No planning permission is needed once you keep Windows to back of the house, apparently will never get permission for them at the front of the house.
    Shedite... has the snagging happened yet? ðŸ™ðŸ¼

smilley004 wrote: »
    Hi thunderbolt!

We have opted to get the stairs and from what we heard at the launch its about a further €40k to convert. No planning permission is needed once you keep Windows to back of the house, apparently will never get permission for them at the front of the house.
    Shedite... has the snagging happened yet? ðŸ™ðŸ¼

That's interesting, €40k seems like quite a lot when the plumbing/electrics are already set up!! Then again, I'm not a builder ;)

Also, considering the main room would be at the front of the house, I'm not sure how light would get into it if the skylights were put in the back (on the other side of the stairs) where the study is? I was tempted to get the stairs when I thought skylights could be put at the front of the house (down the line), but I'm not so sure now.

• Advertisement

Well you just don't need planning permission to put at the back of the house but you do to put at the front. Whenever we do convert I think we will just switch the layout and put the bedroom to the back of the house.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone used a professional snagger (if that's the correct phrase!) when doing their snag? If so, would you mind sending on the details in a PM please?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone

I think we will be snagging our house over the next few weeks. Just wondering is there anything that has popped up in completed houses that we should be aware of, or if anybody has any advice on this?

Thanks

smilley004 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I think we will be snagging our house over the next few weeks. Just wondering is there anything that has popped up in completed houses that we should be aware of, or if anybody has any advice on this?

Thanks

We're doing the same actually so would be great to know also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'm trying to figure out what the price increases between phases was on these if any one can help me. Its hard to figure it out from the property price register as I dont know what phases or types of house each one is.

I'm looking at another estate from the same developer and we love it but phase 1 sold out very quickly, only 4 beds left and we cant really stretch that far at the moment, just worried the 3 bedrooms in phase 2 will be a similar price to the 4 bedrooms now? That would be a disaster.

Also having been living in these for a few months is there anything you can tell us about the quality of the finish etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭dubrov

I don't think there was any price increase between the phases.
    It is hard to compare as the type of houses varied.

You can get the house numbers and types from the Sion Hill park website.
    As they were new builds, you'll need to add VAT to the property price register price.

Personally I thought the 3 beds were decent value but too small on the ground floor.
    The 4 beds were essentially the 3 beds semi-detached with an attic conversion. I think the price difference was about 110k which seemed far too much.
    The 5 beds, although very nice, were way overpriced.

As for the quality of the finish, I viewed the houses and they appeared to be of a very high standard.
    I doubt you will get anyone coming on here slating the finish if they have just dropped half a million buying one though.

I'm trying to figure out what the price increases between phases was on these if any one can help me. Its hard to figure it out from the property price register as I dont know what phases or types of house each one is.

I'm looking at another estate from the same developer and we love it but phase 1 sold out very quickly, only 4 beds left and we cant really stretch that far at the moment, just worried the 3 bedrooms in phase 2 will be a similar price to the 4 bedrooms now? That would be a disaster.

Also having been living in these for a few months is there anything you can tell us about the quality of the finish etc?
    Didn't notice any substantial changes really, every house was different, so a different price regardless of what phase it was.

Finish has been nearly perfect, few small things we had to get redone but builders are still onsite so we just grab them on the work any morning we need something done and it's done by the end of the day. No complaints so far (after a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks for your feedback. Just have to sit and wait it out now I guess. I suspect there will be some sort of increase in the development I'm looking at but it will be dependent on market change and VAT regulations I think.

Was originally told the phase 2 release would be June, then we got approval for June and was told September. I wouldn't be surprised now if its not till after the budget which gives us time to save even more but dreading what the price hike might be. In the mean time we are letting some other houses we like pass us by. Making me very nervous.

EDIT: Re the 3/4 bed that are the same bar an attic conversion. Its similar in the estate Im looking at and offered to buy one of the remaining 4 beds if they didn't 'convert the attic at a price close to the 3 bed price and they were having none of it. Thought it was worth a punt seen as they are still building them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

On a related matter, has anyone who signed contracts in Sion Hill Park managed to get the €2000 DID voucher?
    It was conditional on contracts being signed within 21 days of being received but my solicitor has been waiting weeks for adequate responses to some important queries. It doesn't seem particularly reasonable that the vendor's solicitor can delay replying and save his client €2000 in the process.

On a related matter, has anyone who signed contracts in Sion Hill Park managed to get the €2000 DID voucher?
    It was conditional on contracts being signed within 21 days of being received but my solicitor has been waiting weeks for adequate responses to some important queries. It doesn't seem particularly reasonable that the vendor's solicitor can delay replying and save his client €2000 in the process.
    We had a few queries, probably signed within 5 weeks, and got the voucher. Think they'll probably give it to you once you don't go messing them about.

• Advertisement

Hi there.. anyone aware of when the houses in the last phase are being handed over to buyers? I've been told snagging is in two weeks. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Getting close to snagging with the painting being done and the kitchen due to arrive any day.

Did anyone spot anything in their snagging that I should be looking out for?

Getting close to snagging with the painting being done and the kitchen due to arrive any day.

Did anyone spot anything in their snagging that I should be looking out for?
    Low water pressure was an issue with a few people. Standard stuff apart from that

Hi there, I hope everyone is settled into the neighborhood! :D

I was just wondering if anyone in the 3 bed terraced houses got their attic converted yet. If so, would you be able to PM me to let me know what's involved and a rough cost?

Thanks!

Hi there, I hope everyone is settled into the neighborhood! :D

I was just wondering if anyone in the 3 bed terraced houses got their attic converted yet. If so, would you be able to PM me to let me know what's involved and a rough cost?

Thanks!

Installation of escape velux windows.
    Installation of a new fire enclosed staircase and continuation of the thermal envelope and the air tightness membrane.

Maybe 20kish

I've been in a few that were converted by the builders during construction and even those just scrapped by.

kceire wrote: »
    Installation of escape velux windows.
    Installation of a new fire enclosed staircase and continuation of the thermal envelope and the air tightness membrane.

Maybe 20kish

I've been in a few that were converted by the builders during construction and even those just scrapped by.

Thanks kceire. Were they full conversions or are you referring to the ones who got the stairs put in as part of the original build? Also, in what sense did they just scrape by? Do you know if anyone was going to try and get planning for a velux at the front?

If you have any details of a builder etc. could you PM me?

Thanks a mill

Advertisement