Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland, Wales or England?

• 06-10-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Im seriously considering moving to the UK when Im done university here. I am torn between Scotland and northern England, but it recently dawned on me that I had never even considered Wales as an option - I really just don't know much about it apart from it's history.

What are your experiences in these respective countries? What can you say about them, good or bad? Which would you most recommend and why? Etc

Please advise! Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Why do you want to move?
    What are you looking for?

May help inform the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A bit like asking what is Ireland like.

Someone could give you their opinion based on living in Cardiff or Glasgow, but you move to Dolgellau or Strathyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

If you want my advice I wouldn't even consider living any further North than Watford Gap. Civilisation ends shortly north of there !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Long Gone wrote: »
    If you want my advice I wouldn't even consider living any further North than Watford Gap. Civilisation ends shortly north of there !

Pathetic post.

OP, you've not states why you want to move over or what you'd want in your area of choice. There are some cracking cities up north and cost of living is significantly less.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I want to move because Im quite frankly fed up with Ireland. I love a lot and I mean a lot of things about Ireland, but I dont think I can live here for much longer. I feel so limited here in my opportunities and career prospects. Im sick of the appalling public/civil service (I can write essays on how many times Bus Eireann have fúcked me over, pricks owe me a fiver!) here and the inefficiency and absolute disgrace of a way that the country is run. It really drives me mad sometimes. Ive been, and Im sure every Irish person has, screwed over so many times just because someone was too goddamn lazy to do their job. The "ah sure itll be grand" attitude. Oh, also very importantly, I can NOT take how expensive this country is anymore. Its seriously out of control. I cant cope with it.

I want to live somewhere a bit more exciting with more opportunities like I said. I choose the UK because it's close to home. I do love to travel, especially into the exotic, but I feel like the UK is a good choice because it's close to home and to be honest I love home. The culture is also quite similar so that is comforting. I couldnt hack living in the States and although the Continent would be great Id just really rather the simplicity and easiness of speaking and interacting with Britons. I also love British history so there is a huge deal there for me in terms of past times. There's also an amazing music scene in the UK, depending where of course.

I dont know, I just really like Britain. Obviously it has some major flaws, no one can deny that. But for the most part I have really really enjoyed the company of English and Scottish people that Ive met/known (yet to meet a Welsh person!). They are the closest to the Irish but just different enough for it to be interesting and exciting.

Ideally Id live somewhere thats socially easy going, not expensive, rich in history, great music/art scene, good night life and full of prospects.

Ive only been to Birmingham and London, far from representative of what the UK is like of course. Im itching to get to know it better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I want to move because Im quite frankly fed up with Ireland. I love a lot and I mean a lot of things about Ireland, but I dont think I can live here for much longer. I feel so limited here in my opportunities and career prospects. Im sick of the appalling public/civil service (I can write essays on how many times Bus Eireann have fúcked me over, pricks owe me a fiver!) here and the inefficiency and absolute disgrace of a way that the country is run. It really drives me mad sometimes. Ive been, and Im sure every Irish person has, screwed over so many times just because someone was too goddamn lazy to do their job. The "ah sure itll be grand" attitude. Oh, also very importantly, I can NOT take how expensive this country is anymore. Its seriously out of control. I cant cope with it.

I want to live somewhere a bit more exciting with more opportunities like I said. I choose the UK because it's close to home. I do love to travel, especially into the exotic, but I feel like the UK is a good choice because it's close to home and to be honest I love home. The culture is also quite similar so that is comforting. I couldnt hack living in the States and although the Continent would be great Id just really rather the simplicity and easiness of speaking and interacting with Britons. I also love British history so there is a huge deal there for me in terms of past times. There's also an amazing music scene in the UK, depending where of course.

I dont know, I just really like Britain. Obviously it has some major flaws, no one can deny that. But for the most part I have really really enjoyed the company of English and Scottish people that Ive met/known (yet to meet a Welsh person!). They are the closest to the Irish but just different enough for it to be interesting and exciting.

Ideally Id live somewhere thats socially easy going, not expensive, rich in history, great music/art scene, good night life and full of prospects.

Ive only been to Birmingham and London, far from representative of what the UK is like of course. Im itching to get to know it better!

That's more like it. What sort of job would you be looking for?

This country has flaws but the quality of life over here if you have a job is wonderful. It's flawed of course but I'd take it over Ireland any day.

I think you'd like Manchester. There's a recent thread here where I posted links to several job sites (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057223773). Research each city and let us know if we can help.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement