Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alleged McCann troll found dead after being doorstepped by Sky News

• 06-10-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/06/sky-saddened-death-alleged-mccann-troll-brenda-Leyland

Surprised there was no thread about this already.

Last week, Sky News called to Brenda Leyland's home, confronting her about tweets directed towards the McCann's, I'm unsure about the content but I imagine them to be abusive.

They informed her that a file had been forwarded to the police, she replied 'Fair Enough', then she went missing and was found dead in a hotel room.

It was said that she was not 'the worst of the alleged online abusers'.

Sky News in yet another vile move, effectively vigilantism, resulting in a woman's death.

Could they not have just left in the police's hands?

Sure, where's the ratings in that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sounds like a troubled person to me who could have gone down this route without help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sounds like a troubled person to me who could have gone down this route without help.

I do agree with this, I mean, a grown woman sending abusive tweets but why pick her out when she was one of many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm just talking about Sky in general, the journalist routing through a suitcase at the plane crash site in Ukraine also comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Sad to see someone die.

Much as I don't like Sky news I'd like them to turn up to the door of all the vile people who trolled the McCann's on the net thinking they were anonymous .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Already a thread on it.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057302625/5

Already closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

So somebody that (allegedly) persecutes people for likes online can't take being persecuted on TV for ratings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Death by Sky. I noticed they haven't made any mention of her suicide though. Showing up on her doorstep and publicly identifying her was ridiculous and was neither newsworthy or in the public interest. Sure she was a troll, but harassing an elderly woman was a disgusting thing to do. Sky seem to be making a habit of trial by media. It should have been left to the courts to decide what to do with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Death by Sky. I noticed they haven't made any mention of her suicide though. Showing up on her doorstep and publicly identifying her was ridiculous and was neither newsworthy or in the public interest. Sure she was a troll, but harassing an elderly woman was a disgusting thing to do. Sky seem to be making a habit of trial by media. It should have been left to the courts to decide what to do with her.

They do mention it

http://news.sky.com/story/1347948/mccann-abuser-found-dead-in-hotel-room

Saying that i think the way they outed her wasn't on. Have no sympathy for her or any other trolls who hounded the McCanns like that but feel for her family. Am sure this won't be the end of it and we will be hearing about a lawsuit sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

So being old removes your responsibility for your actions now ? And court appearances are in the public domain where do you think half the media get their information from. What if this was one of these cases recently were a young person has been basically trolled to death via committing suicide would people be saying the same thing leave the people responsible for the death alone.

• Advertisement

Just discussing this at the moment, please bear with us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement