Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efficient electric heater to keep garden shed at 13C

Options
  • 06-10-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an efficient small heater that would keep my 10 x 6ft timber garden shed at around 13C during the winter.

A very efficient one too as it will be on all day.

Which is the best type and where can I get it?

Or is it doable at all?

I've also been wondering about a hot lamp which might also supply light but I don't know much about their efficiency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm looking for an efficient small heater that would keep my 10 x 6ft timber garden shed at around 13C during the winter.

A very efficient one too as it will be on all day.

Which is the best type and where can I get it?

Or is it doable at all?

I've also been wondering about a hot lamp which might also supply light but I don't know much about their efficiency.

Is the shed insulated? Look at the insulation first.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

ted1 wrote: »
    Is the shed insulated? Look at the insulation first.

No its not. I was hoping draft excluders would keep the most of the cold out but not the shed is just lined.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Efficiency is a measurable concept, normally expressed as a percentage. It is the ratio of output to input.

As can be seen here:
    Here’s how most heaters work: a current passes through a wire that provides electrical resistance. This resistance converts all of the electrical energy into heat. That’s why energy efficient electric heaters are all 100% efficient.

However the above information is very misleading because electrically heating is a home, a shed or water is very, very expensive. As others have pointed out you should really look at improving the insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is 13 degree the max temperature the shed can be op or is it a minimum you want op?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

You could get a simple 1 or 2 kW convector heater. Not expensive to buy, with built-in thermostat. This would maintain the desired temperature. If you could reduce heat loss by insulation that would be cheaper to run. I do not know your application but perhaps consider if you need to heat the entire shed ; if not, perhaps a heated enclosure within the shed.

• Advertisement

Is 13 degree the max temperature the shed can be op or is it a minimum you want op?

No, 13C is only a guide, anything comfortable. (its for 2 dogs to use during the day when the winter comes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Whatever way you look at it using electricity as a source for heat will be expensive to run, what i purpose is can you tap into your central heating system if your house has oil or gas and make another zone and have a room stat controlling the temperature.
    If not getting a used heat pac boiler install a couple of rads on a closed system, again getting the room stat to regulate the temperature.
    If you have oil already it will be a bonus as you wont need to buy a tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

No, 13C is only a guide, anything comfortable. (its for 2 dogs to use during the day when the winter comes).

Are you going to lock the dogs up in it? Clearly if they have access to the outside, so will your heat!!

What sort of dogs are they? We have a standard enough collie/ labrador type cross - medium sized dog. She has an outdoor kennel to go in and out of and is quite happy. Sleeps in that at night, though we'd close the door then. She'd come inside in the evening in winter months before being ejected at bedtime to her kennel.

If it was bitterly cold outside, snow & ice etc - we'd have her in during the day.

I mention this as it's perfectly fine for an average dog on an average winters day in Ireland. They put on a bit of thicker coat in winter as far as I can tell :) So unless, your dogs are fancy breeds, you could save yourself a packet!!

BarryD wrote: »
    Are you going to lock the dogs up in it? Clearly if they have access to the outside, so will your heat!!

What sort of dogs are they? We have a standard enough collie/ labrador type cross - medium sized dog. She has an outdoor kennel to go in and out of and is quite happy. Sleeps in that at night, though we'd close the door then. She'd come inside in the evening in winter months before being ejected at bedtime to her kennel.

If it was bitterly cold outside, snow & ice etc - we'd have her in during the day.

I mention this as it's perfectly fine for an average dog on an average winters day in Ireland. They put on a bit of thicker coat in winter as far as I can tell :) So unless, your dogs are fancy breeds, you could save yourself a packet!!

There small furry lads, they have a cozy kennel which is under roof too.
    I leave the shed open when it's wet but am putting a pet flap in and thought I might add some heat.
    They're indoors after 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'd hazard a guess that if they can get in out of the rain and have a cosy kennel, they'll be grand in all but the very worst of winters. Normal dogs are tough, just make sure they have a mat or old pillow or something like that to sleep on - a bit of insulation from the floor helps a lot.

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that if they can get in out of the rain and have a cosy kennel, they'll be grand in all but the very worst of winters. Normal dogs are tough, just make sure they have a mat or old pillow or something like that to sleep on - a bit of insulation from the floor helps a lot.

The pet flap will join the kennel to the shed, kennel is under roof so they wont get wet going from one to the other.
    Keeping the shed door closed can only help things.
    Floor insulation alone might be a start. The kennel flour is covered will with a 3 inch plastic matress.

Advertisement