Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spam calls

• 06-10-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hello
    I am with Blueface residential for the last number of years find it great

I have a Gigaset A580ip with 2 handsets

recently I have been getting spam calls from 00800 numbers can anyone advise how i can block incoming numbers if i dont want them even if it means using some new equipment as I dont think A580ip has this facility

thanks
    mylesm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

mylesm wrote: »
    Hello
    I am with Blueface residential for the last number of years find it great

I have a Gigaset A580ip with 2 handsets

recently I have been getting spam calls from 00800 numbers can anyone advise how i can block incoming numbers if i dont want them even if it means using some new equipment as I dont think A580ip has this facility

thanks
    mylesm

Contact Blueface they might be able to block them for you if the calls come from the same number every time, of contact the number and ask them to take you off database.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

contact Comreg... they are quite good at chasing these feckers down... at least they were when I asked them to about 4 years ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Bluefoam wrote: »
    contact Comreg... they are quite good at chasing these feckers down... at least they were when I asked them to about 4 years ago...

Can they do anything if the calls are coming from abroad?

OP can you post the number so we can check google.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

nava wrote: »
    Can they do anything if the calls are coming from abroad?

OP can you post the number so we can check google.

Yes, it would be the same process as most are weird foreign numbers, once it's established the number is a spambot it can easily be done.

OP, have you forwarded any ports from your router to the Gigaset? Check this first, especially if you've ever gotten calls from 1000 or 100 for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Thanks for replies the number is 008000053 I think its a well know spam number as when i googled it there are lots of people having problems

Blueface will not block incoming numbers I can block outgoing no problem on blueface web interface account management but not incoming

the calls originate outside Ireland so try to do something through Comreg etc I feel would take forever

I just thought there might be some ATA or Voip phone with facility to block incoming numbers based on caller id

Thanks Again
    mylesm

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies the number is 008000053 I think its a well know spam number as when i googled it there are lots of people having problems

Blueface will not block incoming numbers I can block outgoing no problem on blueface web interface account management but not incoming

the calls originate outside Ireland so try to do something through Comreg etc I feel would take forever

I just thought there might be some ATA or Voip phone with facility to block incoming numbers based on caller id

Thanks Again
    mylesm

They probably is a way to reject a number or pass to voicemail.

Comreg are faster then you think. Did you try asking Blueface to block the Caller ID first? They should very easily be able to do it.

Mr. G wrote: »

Comreg are faster then you think. Did you try asking Blueface to block the Caller ID first? They should very easily be able to do it.

I am sure Blueface can block it but as I said they will not do it so I was hoping I could do it myself based on caller id with some piece of VOIP equipment

Wrote to Comreg

heres their reply

Dear Myles,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately there is no way to stop these scam calls and people are often dialled at random from foreign numbers however if you explain you are aware it is a scam and will not follow their instructions/requests and that you have reported the matter they will likely stop calling you then.

Should you have any other queries or require any other assistance from us you can call our Consumer Team on 1890 229668 or 01 8049668.

Yours sincerely,

ComReg Consumer Management

Commission for Communications Regulation
    Abbey Court Irish Life Centre Lower Abbey Street Dublin 1 Ireland
    Telephone 01 804 9668 / 1890 229 668

So no luck there then I think I may have found a way I bought an OBI-100 ata and am messing around with it there seems to be lots of possibilites with it just have to learn how to configure it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

I'm not sure the free version is still around but sipsorcery.com can handle this (and a whole pile more) easily. In your case you'd point your DID to youraccount@sipsorcery.comand your SIP device to sipsorcery.

Sipsorcery checks the caller id against a list you define and can perform any action required e.g. pass the call through to you, drop it, or forward it before it ever rings you. In my case I had it dial the laughing monkeys at Blueface (free sip call) for the undesirable numbers. You could be very devious here were you so inclined :-)

Have you forwarded any ports from your router to the Gigaset? This might explain it.

• Advertisement

Have you forwarded any ports from your router to the Gigaset? This might explain it.

No ports forwarded but i got a gigaset C620A and it has a blacklist function on the phone and its working so far

Also the OBI-100 is a great ATA

mylesm

malachy47 wrote: »
    I'm not sure the free version is still around but sipsorcery.com can handle this (and a whole pile more) easily. In your case you'd point your DID to youraccount@sipsorcery.comand your SIP device to sipsorcery.

Sipsorcery checks the caller id against a list you define and can perform any action required e.g. pass the call through to you, drop it, or forward it before it ever rings you. In my case I had it dial the laughing monkeys at Blueface (free sip call) for the undesirable numbers. You could be very devious here were you so inclined :-)

Thanks for that I looked it up seems the free is no longer available but still looks interesting can you give me a basic how it works I am with Blueface does my blueface call get forwarded to sipsorcery and then anything I want done there and then sent again to destination

thanks
    mylesm

Thanks for that I looked it up seems the free is no longer available but still looks interesting can you give me a basic how it works I am with Blueface does my blueface call get forwarded to sipsorcery and then anything I want done there and then sent again to destination

thanks
    mylesm

Basically SIPSorcery allows you to combine all your different providers (or just one), and create SIP Accounts and dial plans. So your Blueface SIP Account is registered at SIPSorcery and your phones registers to SIPSorcery, sort of like a PBX. For €55 it's a lot to pay for what it does, but for some it can save them a fortune. Most devices nowadays have dial plans and call routing features, but SIPSorcery also allows you to split up a SIP Account (e.g. from Blueface) onto unlimited devices.

As part of that, it allows you to blacklist a Caller ID as already mentioned.

Basically SIPSorcery allows you to combine all your different providers (or just one), and create SIP Accounts and dial plans. So your Blueface SIP Account is registered at SIPSorcery and your phones registers to SIPSorcery, sort of like a PBX. For €55 it's a lot to pay for what it does, but for some it can save them a fortune. Most devices nowadays have dial plans and call routing features, but SIPSorcery also allows you to split up a SIP Account (e.g. from Blueface) onto unlimited devices.

As part of that, it allows you to blacklist a Caller ID as already mentioned.

Thanks for that I am still learning the OBI-100 but I think I can achieve what I want with that

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

All of my spam 'friends' are sent to Blueface Extension 300 to listen to the monkeys.
    They eventually stop calling.
    I use a Fritz box and you can divert incoming calls based on CLI or no CLI as you see fit.

65535 wrote: »
    All of my spam 'friends' are sent to Blueface Extension 300 to listen to the monkeys.
    I use a Fritz box and you can divert incoming calls based on CLI or no CLI as you see fit.

"They have been carried away by monkeys" :D.

That Fritz Box sounds interesting what model do you have can it be used on cable broadband

thanks
    mylesm

Hi,
    The one I have is an older model but any Fritz model that handles cable would work with regard to the CLI checking.
    I presume you could use any Fritz model and just supply the internet from the cable broadband router, however they do have The 6490 Cable
    All models are at This link

Hi,
    The one I have is an older model but any Fritz model that handles cable would work with regard to the CLI checking.
    I presume you could use any Fritz model and just supply the internet from the cable broadband router, however they do have The 6490 Cable
    All models are at This link

Thanks for that the fritz boxes look great and if I had known about them before I purchased OBI-100 and GIgaset I would probably have got one

I am still learning the OBI but after your crazy monkeys post I looked into it and in the OBI I can now divert number based on CID to Crazy monkeys I checked it with my mobile cid added to list and it worked perfect so now all I have to do is add any numbers I dont like to my list and they get diverted

Thanks and this is a great solution to my original Post

But I think the Days of landlines are limited my home phone is getting less and less use Cheap mobile Plans are really killing them

Well that's great, glad you can sort it out now.
    Yes landlines, well where would I start :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement