Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrepancy between 'clock' and chip time?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I crossed the line in a 10K yesterday as the clock approached 48'20, maybe crossed at 4'17/18 yet my chip time says 48'23. I actually expected my chip time to be quicker, as I did not start at the front,so if anything it should have been 48'15 or so. It's no big deal, but out of curiosity, why not ?

Thanks

Sarah :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How was the race timed? Where the chip readers mats on the road or was it a gantry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I don't know, I assumed when I crossed the finishing line, there would be a click, there was a plastic attachment to my number..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

What race was it yesterday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

Two points.

The display clock is not always synchronised with the timing system recording, i.e. has to be started separately from the chip timing system. That could account for the difference.

If there is no mat at the start line recording the delay in crossing the start line, it is likely that the time you were given is "gun time", i.e. the time it took for you to get to the finish mat from the time the gun went - no adjustment for the delay in crossing the start line.

So, you would be justified in recording the time for your own records as 48.15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Ok then, mat was a few metres beyond the finish line,and I stopped running as soon as I crossed the line, I assumed the chip would be in sync with the line/clock, and also it probably wasn't aligned with when I crossed the start line either.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement