Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Vicar Street?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just got a ticket for Jimmy MacCarthy's upcoming gig at Vicar Street (9th November). I have two questions regarding the nature of my ticket and the venue:

1. My allocation is listed as a "table", its on the ground floor. What does this table look like? Is it one where I sit with other people or are they lined up like a college lecture theatre?

2. Where do artists usually do signings before or after the gig? I'm a huge fan and would love to meet Jimmy and get my book signed.

Cheers,
    Michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Anytime I've been seated at a table in vicar St it's like this:

http://www.wallsconstruction.ie/projects/tourism/tou_vicar_big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The only seating plan i've ever seen in Vicar street in circular table with 4 bolted down seats per table, 2 in front of & 2 behind the table.

Here's how they look:

vic2.jpg

and here's the usual seating plan:

11868s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A college lecture theatre? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

karaokeman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just got a ticket for Jimmy MacCarthy's upcoming gig at Vicar Street (9th November). I have two questions regarding the nature of my ticket and the venue:

1. My allocation is listed as a "table", its on the ground floor. What does this table look like? Is it one where I sit with other people or are they lined up like a college lecture theatre?

2. Where do artists usually do signings before or after the gig? I'm a huge fan and would love to meet Jimmy and get my book signed.

Cheers,
    Michael

Each table has a number, there are four seats at each table, so each ticket will have Table Number and Seat Number printed on it. The seats are not numbered, so if you arrive at the table before the three other people, you have the first choice of the seats.

The tables are from 1-12 across.

Often, I think depending on how well a gig is selling, there'll be an extra row of tables (I think they are numbered from table 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 and 112) placed down in between tables 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84 and 96 and the front row of Block A.

The seats are stools, so if you get to your table before anyone else you can sit on either of the two front seats and lean against the front of the table. :)

If there is merchandise, it is usually located down the end of the corridor with the glass mirror, in the area between the bar to your right and the entrance to the venue room to your left.

Often, bands will sign there afterwards. I would imagine Jimmy MacCarthy will most likely sign. The times I have seen him he was really sound afterwards about chatting to people and signing cds and getting photos.

symbolic wrote: »
    Anytime I've been seated at a table in vicar St it's like this:

http://www.wallsconstruction.ie/projects/tourism/tou_vicar_big.jpg

Interestingly, the picture in the link above was taken before Vicar Street was refurbished and its seated capacity increased in 2002. In the photo, the decoration on the wooden panelling in front of Blocks D, E and F on the balcony is not yet painted, (I guess it is painted on!:)) so perhaps it was a photo taken before the venue opened?

Vicar Street opened in 1998, in August I think. Refurbishment was carried out in 2002 and it reopened in October 2002. If I recall correctly, Dream Theater in October 2002 was the first gig held after reopening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The table thing is a brutal set up in there

nm wrote: »
    The table thing is a brutal set up in there

I guess it is easier for people to go in and out to the bar and toilets if they have stools rather than chairs on the ground floor, and it's probably easier and quicker to carry out the tables and stools together - as each stool is fixed to the table - for when they have ground floor standing gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I guess it is easier for people to go in and out to the bar and toilets if they have stools rather than chairs on the ground floor, and it's probably easier and quicker to carry out the tables and stools together - as each stool is fixed to the table - for when they have ground floor standing gigs.

Having no back on the chair to lean back in is woeful, 1.5/2 hours on a small crappy stool is not comfortable at all.
    The only point I can see to the table is to have drinks on it, but for 50% of the 4 immovable stools the table is actually behind them so they have to shift constantly to get to their pint.

I was also at that set up for Christy Moore and we weren't allowed drink at all, rendering the table completely pointless.

Hated it, if I buy a seat I should at least get an actual seat.

nm wrote: »
    Having no back on the chair to lean back in is woeful, 1.5/2 hours on a small crappy stool is not comfortable at all.
    The only point I can see to the table is to have drinks on it, but for 50% of the 4 immovable stools the table is actually behind them so they have to shift constantly to get to their pint.

I was also at that set up for Christy Moore and we weren't allowed drink at all, rendering the table completely pointless.

Hated it, if I buy a seat I should at least get an actual seat.

I think the bar closes during all of Christy Moore's gigs, not just in Vicar St, but generally, during most other gigs the bar stays open.

I'm just wondering, if there were rows of seats, like in the Olympia, how many would it hold on the ground floor, where the tables are located?

I guess they have stools at the tables, as they take up less space?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks to everyone for the advice, its all been really helpful.

Yes the seating will be a bit awkward, but I'll get by.

And yes I have heard Jimmy is sound enough, I'm friends with him on Facebook and I message him quite a few times and he's always been very grateful for my support. I asked him there about signing after the gig, he said he can sign for me after the show :D.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement