Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware! - Galway based Taxi Driver gave fake €10 notes

Options
  • 06-10-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Last night, Sunday October 5th 2014 there was a large group of people out celebrating a 100k fundraising success for Cystic Fibrosis Ireland when a few got a taxi dropping people around to their different homes, each customer paying their own individual fare as they were dropped off.

As it turns out, the driver they had was of African origin and when my wife eventually got dropped off back to Galway City (where I was to pick her up as we live out the 'country'), she gave the driver a €20 note and received a fake €10 back in change.

It now turns out that the driver gave all four occupants of the vehicle fake €10 notes in their change - granted they all probably over paid on the fair, but that's not the issue as they were being dropped off at all different points, were drunk and didn't mind spending a few extra euro on being driven in safety around to the different areas.

The fact of the matter is there was a at least €40 in fake €10 notes handed out by this driver last night and I can only speculate that they were not the only victims of this charlatan last night and possibly over the past.

I know nothing can be done in this instance as we are still trying to find out if someone took note of the driver taxi licence number or car registration plate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you been to the guards yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Have you been to the guards yet?

Not yet Mrs OBumble, I am just waiting back to see if anyone managed to get the taxi licence number etc...

I'm hoping this thread will help people and have them check their change so they don't get caught like these four did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I assume firstly that this isn't a case of someone confusing the new €10 notes released two weeks ago with the older style €10?

fjECB1301204e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

You do know there is a new €10 note?

I assume firstly that this isn't a case of someone confusing the new €10 notes released two weeks ago with the older style €10?

fjECB1301204e.jpg
    You do know there is a new €10 note?

Hi Guys, I'm fully aware of the new €10 notes. The note my wife got had no water mark on it and I even gave a little rip where the silver lining thing is and it just ripped through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I tried to buy food in supermacs yesterday and unbelievably I had 2 Thai baths that looks like 2 euro. 2 of them . I can't believe it, I hadn't any drink in weeks but some fecking shop managed to do me out of the €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Worth noting that by using the Hailo or Galway Taxis app you can avoid dealing in cash with drivers.
    Although as I've said here before my own experience with Hailo has been less than stellar recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sofa King wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm fully aware of the new €10 notes. The note my wife got had no water mark on it and I even gave a little rip where the silver lining thing is and it just ripped through.

Ah that's fair enough, it would just be dreadful if someone was accused of passing on fake notes if it was just a misunderstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Presumably you've informed the Guards and given them the tenners?
    So everyone handed the driver a 20 and got a tenner back?

If the driver is involved in forgery, it is serious enough that the guards might make efforts to find the car via camera, considering 4 specific locations were involved for drop off, that should make easier.

If someone paid the driver himself for a large fare with dodgy tenners, that would be harder to trace, but the Guards might try to follow up.

You're right that it's just speculation as to whether if it was him, he's done it before etc :)

*just saw question re Guards before my post - I'd say do that first!*

Ah that's fair enough, it would just be dreadful if someone was accused of passing on fake notes if it was just a misunderstanding!

I agree, I wouldn't have posted this thread unless I was 110% certain of the fact that it was fake.

Maybe it's a case of someone jumping on the bandwagon of getting these fake €10 notes out while the new €10 notes are out.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Presumably you've informed the Guards and given them the tenners?
    So everyone handed the driver a 20 and got a tenner back?

If the driver is involved in forgery, it is serious enough that the guards might make efforts to find the car via camera, considering 4 specific locations were involved for drop off, that should make easier.

If someone paid the driver himself for a large fare with dodgy tenners, that would be harder to trace, but the Guards might try to follow up.

You're right that it's just speculation as to whether if it was him, he's done it before etc :)

*just saw question re Guards before my post - I'd say do that first!*

Great idea, will definitely follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Worth noting that by using the Hailo or Galway Taxis app you can avoid dealing in cash with drivers.
    Although as I've said here before my own experience with Hailo has been less than stellar recently.

Using Hailo will also give you a record of the taxi used. Even if you were to leave something in the car you can contact the driver afterwards.

Advertisement