Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midgets in ferment?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 4:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

i scooped a few small midgets out of my wine ferment today

first time it ever happened

is it likely to cause a problem? ferment is 2 days old

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Might do. But the only person who can say whether it did or not is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Were they frisky? :pac:

I'll get my coat

I honestly can't say how it will turn out, but the mental image from the subject was too much to resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midge

We always called them MIDGES. It was only when I moved to cork that I heard of swarms of MIDGETS. But I digress. I often swallowed mouthfuls of them as a kid cycling down country lanes with no ill effects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

ok thanks
    I was a bit careless with the lid
    25L is too much to throw out ill wait and see

I'm sure there was plenty of insects in the day's of open fermentation before fancy sterilization and bubblers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

professore wrote: »
    It was only when I moved to cork that I heard of swarms of MIDGETS.

hee hee :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Unlikely to be midges as we known them, more likely to be fruit flies. Unlikely to do any harm to anything other than your wine making reputation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Should be fine - I don't make beer but I make sourdough and if the culture is anything like that, the combination of yeast and lactobacillae will naturally keep any nasties that may have come in with a fruit fly in check.

Advertisement