Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for rent

Options
  • 06-10-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi lads,

i'm not sure if this might be the right place but i'm wondering if any of you out there have ever done a deal to work on a property to pay the rent, or part of the rent.

a mate said he'd read a post here a while back about it but i can't find it for the life of me.

cash is tight at the moment with fewer working hours so i'm hoping to maybe get some tips or advice on this.

thanks,

hm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

With rents so high why would a landlord want someone with no comeback on to do Work on their property. Best to pay a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hiaceman

that's very helpful handlemaster, thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sometimes these are called caretaker agreements, or on a more formal footing they are building contracts whcih specify the work to be done.

They are legally sound and make sense in eetain situations, but they are a fairly bespoke situation ie you are most likely to get a situation like that if you know the owner and they already trust you

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

I have heard of a few cases where a tenant gets maybe 10 or 15% of the going rent in return for signing a contract that says something to the effect that they will not bother the landlord to fix anything and will look after all repairs and expenses themselves for the life of the agreement.

Landlord gets the place rented and doesnt worry about any issues or things breaking.
    Tenant can save the difference and if anything breaks, like a hoover, washing machine, microwave, iron etc pays themselves to get it repaired and doesnt involve the landlord.

If the tenant looks after the place they should gain a lot from this type of agreement. However, if they are careless and reckless they stand to lose a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Google Camelot properties, leases renting or some such combination of words. They're active in the UK and Ireland where they rent out properties to caretaker tenants rather than tenants.

Your not covered by PRTB legislation so it's minimum notice but they might be looking for someone to mind and maintain an old property on their books

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have heard people do it in the US. They get a free place to be the building super(basically do all the buildings repairs for free). But it only makes sense as NYC apartment blocks are quite big and actually need a full time Care taker. I can't imagine many landlords need a care taker in Ireland for their properties

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hiaceman

thanks guys, that's something to be getting on with. at the very least it's worth trying. nothing ventured.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Careful now. Caretaker agreements can backfire.

Advertisement