Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to Rent out one of our bedrooms - House Share

Options
  • 06-10-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

Looking for advice of house sharing?

My boyfriend and I have decided to rent out the spare room? Can anyone give me some tips etc for house sharing?

We have 2 people interested already and possible viewing tonight.

We are both young professionals, we do not have wild parties and late night drinking sessions really. We are house proud and everywhere is always kept nice and tidy. We are very easy going but want to make sure that we let the potential new lodger know a few rules etc without scaring them off.

Tonight for example do we go through everything, obviously we will be showing the room and areas they will have access too. We also will want to lay down a few rules without scaring them off for e.g

Keep the place clean & tidy and will be required to chip in with cleaning of communal areas
    No late night parties. Quiet time during week from 11pm allowed stay up late the weekend though lol
    Under no circumstances are the alarm code / keys to be given to anybody.
    No entering other bedrooms.

Any feedback or people in similiar positions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dont sa y to an adult .."allowed to stay up late" have y ou shared before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Lyla Mae wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advice of house sharing?

My boyfriend and I have decided to rent out the spare room? Can anyone give me some tips etc for house sharing?

We have 2 people interested already and possible viewing tonight.

We are both young professionals, we do not have wild parties and late night drinking sessions really. We are house proud and everywhere is always kept nice and tidy. We are very easy going but want to make sure that we let the potential new lodger know a few rules etc without scaring them off.

Tonight for example do we go through everything, obviously we will be showing the room and areas they will have access too. We also will want to lay down a few rules without scaring them off for e.g

Keep the place clean & tidy and will be required to chip in with cleaning of communal areas
    No late night parties. Quiet time during week from 11pm allowed stay up late the weekend though lol
    Under no circumstances are the alarm code / keys to be given to anybody.
    No entering other bedrooms.

Any feedback or people in similiar positions?

Thanks.

Your rules sound grand for you but we all see the world differently.

If you can avoid sharing I would suggest you do so unless maybe you know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

If you are sharing with other people it is their house too and you can't tell them what to do.
    When doing house viewings it's fine to say that the house is always this tidy and everyone chips in to keep it clean. You can't tell people when they can go to bed or make noise, if you want to control the noise in your house don't rent out rooms. People are not stupid and know that other bedrooms are private, don't tell people that as it sounds very condescending. As for keys and alarm codes, I would always give a key to my boyfriend in case of emergency, he is never in my house share without me but he will definitely know the key and code. If people move in you'll have to think of everyone as equal housemates, you are not their mammy and can't tell them what to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tell them not to share with a couple!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

New to Boards.ie so just working my way through.

When I lived in England and rented out rooms in my house, I had a short list of rules/guidelines written out. The main ones were about smoking or not and no noise after a certain time at night. Also very important was visitors and visitors sleeping over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

If you are sharing with other people it is their house too and you can't tell them what to do.
    When doing house viewings it's fine to say that the house is always this tidy and everyone chips in to keep it clean. You can't tell people when they can go to bed or make noise, if you want to control the noise in your house don't rent out rooms. People are not stupid and know that other bedrooms are private, don't tell people that as it sounds very condescending. As for keys and alarm codes, I would always give a key to my boyfriend in case of emergency, he is never in my house share without me but he will definitely know the key and code. If people move in you'll have to think of everyone as equal housemates, you are not their mammy and can't tell them what to do

Yes you fcuking can tell them what to do. If they get lippy, show them the door. Don't get into signing contracts, stick with the rent a room scheme. If they don't respect the place, you can shift them pretty quickly by terminating the arrangement. Don't take any sh1t. It's not worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I rent out 2 rooms in the summer, I just lay down 3 rules,

No noise after 12 at night

Keep the place tidy

It's not a lot to ask to have quite after midnight, and most people are fairly tidy anyway, but I wouldn't tell them to stay out of other rooms, people aren't that thick

And also no smoking inside the house, thats a big no no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yes you fcuking can tell them what to do. If they get lippy, show them the door. Don't get into signing contracts, stick with the rent a room scheme. If they don't respect the place, you can shift them pretty quickly by terminating the arrangement. Don't take any sh1t. It's not worth it.

Watch your language please. There is no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

whupdedo wrote: »
    I rent out 2 rooms in the summer, I just lay down 2 rules,

No noise after 12 at night

Keep the place tidy

It's not a lot to ask to have quite after midnight, and most people are fairly tidy anyway, but I wouldn't tell them to stay out of other rooms, people aren't that thick

You'd be surprised. I've rented to some people who thought that they could get away with it without me finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they're owner occupier, they kind of can.
    I wouldn't tell them to stay out of other rooms, people aren't that thick
    If they're used to living with mates, they may not think twice about popping into the other room to borrow something.
    Don't get into signing contracts, stick with the rent a room scheme. If they don't respect the place, you can shift them pretty quickly by terminating the arrangement.
    100% this. If you own the place, don't give the licensee more rights than they should have.

Also, remember. They'll be a licensee, not a tenant if you're an owner occupier.

Finally, aim for the market that only want the room for a few nights a week, esp if your place is fairly central. These professionals will only stay at your place for somewhere to stay to avoid long commutes, if they have a house elsewhere and only in the city for a few days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Lyla Mae

Thanks for the replies, but I do think some of you are being a bit harsh about laying down a few rules for a happy house. The house is owner occupied so therefore I think we have every right to lay down a few rules.

As I said we are pretty easy going people but just want a few ground rules you, it is just a few things to ensure everything runs smoothly, for e.g

I think the no noise after 11/12 pm is grand I dont care if they have the tele on etc just want them to know if they are out or have someone over that we dont want them up all night.

I think mentioning the other bedrooms should not be any hassle to be fair people need to know there bounderies and as another poster said you dont know hoe other people lived popping in and out of rooms.

Its just a few guidelines.

And a quote from desperate housewife
    I would always give a key to my boyfriend in case of emergency, why would a tentant need to give someone spare keys we already have that sorted.

I think the rules are fairly ok just wondering what other little bits of info renting a room might have you.

Thanks

Finally, aim for the market that only want the room for a few nights a week, esp if your place is fairly central. These professionals will only stay at your place for somewhere to stay to avoid long commutes, if they have a house elsewhere and only in the city for a few days a week.[/QUOTE]

Any suggestions where I could put an ad for something like this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think it's grand most of what you're suggesting but if you make an issue of the no noise or something after 11pm/12am then it does get a bit much. Aim to rent to someone who is old enough to recognise this as being normal & shouldn't need it pointed out. You can't dictate that they can't be out late into the night if they want to but maybe more put it as that you'd appreciate if they are out, that they keep noise to a minimum when they come in as you go to bed round that time.

I would also think the not going into any of the other bedrooms (without express permission) wouldn't need to be said for the market that you're aiming at. Again though it's how you word it to people.

In regards what desperate housewife said & your response - if the housemate isn't allowed into the other bedrooms than I'm presuming that you wouldn't be allowed into theirs. Therefore if they're away or need something from their room, they might want the security of someone they know having access. You could lay it down that only after a short while (when you can assess if the share is working) that the key be given out. Alarm code I think is fair enough. I had a key to my other halves houseshare but it was said to the others prior to it & I was only there when he'd be coming in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, remember. They'll be a licensee, not a tenant if you're an owner occupier.

Can you define the difference between a licencee and a tenant please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can you define the difference between a licencee and a tenant please

May I suggest Google? The citizens information website has a good page on rent a room and definitions as you request

In regards what desperate housewife said & your response - if the housemate isn't allowed into the other bedrooms than I'm presuming that you wouldn't be allowed into theirs. Therefore if they're away or need something from their room, they might want the security of someone they know having access. You could lay it down that only after a short while (when you can assess if the share is working) that the key be given out. Alarm code I think is fair enough. I had a key to my other halves houseshare but it was said to the others prior to it & I was only there when he'd be coming in.[/QUOTE]

We are the owners of the house therefore we will be telling the tentant that his / her room must be kept clean and tidy, for example we do not want dirty dishes / food etc been left in the room for days as has been the case when I rented out my own house / rooms and a friend done the same.
    As a landlord does I think we should be allowed to have a quick look in the room every now and again with the tenant present to ensure all is ok in the room. I would never dream of entering the tenants room without prior permission but I do think a few guidelines wont hurt.

I am not telling the person her / she cant stay out late I am saying quiet time is from 11/12 therefore they know that if they have a friend / friends over they should be gone home by that time and just a little respect for each other.

I will not be allowing key to be given to anyone else simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I pity the poor person entering into this arrangement. Just don't be surprised and don't be a pain about their deposit if they want out after a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

We are the owners of the house therefore we will be telling the tentant that his / her room must be kept clean and tidy, for example we do not want dirty dishes / food etc been left in the room for days as has been the case when I rented out my own house / rooms and a friend done the same.

As a landlord does I think we should be allowed to have a quick look in the room every now and again with the tenant present to ensure all is ok in the room. I would never dream of entering the tenants room without prior permission but I do think a few guidelines wont hurt.

I am not telling the person her / she cant stay out late I am saying quiet time is from 11/12 therefore they know that if they have a friend / friends over they should be gone home by that time and just a little respect for each other.

I will not be allowing key to be given to anyone else simple as.

OP, what was your experience with tenants when you rented out your house before? Were they happy with your arrangements? If so then go by previous experience.

It's reasonable to expect people to be quiet between 11 and 7 and if they want to watch TV or listen to music they can use headphones.

Buy a cheap vacuum cleaner and leave it in the tenant's room for their use only if you are concerned they won't keep the room clean. Leave some wet wipes there too so they can keep surfaces etc. clean. If cleaning materials are within reach they are more likely be used regularly. Set an example yourself by keeping the house squeaky clean and let the tenant see you cleaning, vacuuming etc. It's always handy to have a backup vacuum cleaner anyway. You can ask to borrow this from time to time and this would be a polite way of seeing the tenant's room into the bargain. Who knows, this might turn into a very interesting menage a trois for you and your boyfriend! :D

All jokes aside show them the list of rules at the very beginning and they will decide for themselves if the arrangements suits them.

Will the rental cost include electricity and bills or do you want to split everything 3 ways? I think you should up the rental price a bit to include bills and explain that to the lodger at the start. It seems a bit unfair to expect a lodger to abide by very strict rules but go thirds with bills. If you were all renting it would be different.

If you have a bathroom en suite and there is a main bathroom the lodger can use it make things a bit easier for all concerned. If this is the case decide who keeps it clean. If there is only one bathroom in the house things might be awkward for all concerned, for example if someone in the house eats a dodgy curry or gets a tummy bug like norovirus. You do not want a lodger bringing pathogenic bacteria into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Hi OP,

I have been renting out the spare room, sharing with my boyfriend & I. I would never say no noise after 11/12 - I say on the ad its a quiet house & so far everyone has respected that & honestly never had a problem with noise in the 3 years renting out.

I ask for some notice if possible if guests staying and no random strangers!! I try to keep it light hearted though, they're entitled to visitors but I dont want some scumbag raiding the place after they pulled on a night out either!

Only other rules are about security - locking up, alarm on etc & keeping communal areas clean. I dont think I could tell an adult to keep their room clean!

If its any good - I've been renting to foreign students mostly so they only stay 1-3 months. So far its been great, there isnt enough time for annoying habits to cause tension & they havent a big group of mates around, looking to come over to party.

Try to take your time picking someone - wait for someone you feel suits you both, its much easier if everyone just gets on & it would be horrible for a lodger to feel ill at ease with a couple who were owner/occupiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you are not looking for a housemate, ie a person who you see as an equal.

It sounds like you are looking for a boarder. Unless you can find a professional who only wants a bed for a few nights a week, you may be better to advertise it as digs, and provide them with morning and evening meals.

• Advertisement

Emme wrote: »
    OP, what was your experience with tenants when you rented out your house before? Were they happy with your arrangements? If so then go by previous experience.

It's reasonable to expect people to be quiet between 11 and 7 and if they want to watch TV or listen to music they can use headphones.

Yes I think this is reasonabe I just want the person to know that having people back til all hours during the week is a no no

Buy a cheap vacuum cleaner and leave it in the tenant's room for their use only if you are concerned they won't keep the room clean. Leave some wet wipes there too so they can keep surfaces etc. clean. If cleaning materials are within reach they are more likely be used regularly. Set an example yourself by keeping the house squeaky clean and let the tenant see you cleaning, vacuuming etc. It's always handy to have a backup vacuum cleaner anyway. You can ask to borrow this from time to time and this would be a polite way of seeing the tenant's room into the bargain. Who knows, this might turn into a very interesting menage a trois for you and your boyfriend! :D

All jokes aside show them the list of rules at the very beginning and they will decide for themselves if the arrangements suits them.

Will the rental cost include electricity and bills or do you want to split everything 3 ways? I think you should up the rental price a bit to include bills and explain that to the lodger at the start. It seems a bit unfair to expect a lodger to abide by very strict rules but go thirds with bills. If you were all renting it would be different.

The bills will be split 3 ways, electricity and gas.

If you have a bathroom en suite and there is a main bathroom the lodger can use it make things a bit easier for all concerned. If this is the case decide who keeps it clean. If there is only one bathroom in the house things might be awkward for all concerned, for example if someone in the house eats a dodgy curry or gets a tummy bug like norovirus. You do not want a lodger bringing pathogenic bacteria into your house.

The lodger will more or less have the main bathroom to him / her self and a sitting soom.

Here is how I am putting it to the tenant.

Find the house as you see it now, nice, clean and tidy. Will expect you the tenant to clean up after yourself etc after each meal and keep your room tidy.

There is no problem having friends call over but please keep it to 11 pm during the week and no house parties.

Please do not give key and alarm code to anybody. Spare key available (from next door) should you need it.

Bills are split 3 ways.

If using sitting room keep tidy aswell. Sittinbg room we never use so tenant will have main use of that.

Main bathroom will mainly be used by tenant. (I only use to do my make up there)

That is all the rules I have, I simple wanted to know what experiencing people have had with renting a room and what rules they might have had. I do not think any of the above a very strict in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Its always tricky when you are renting out a room in your own house, ive thought about doing it with mine but in the end I couldn't do through with it.

It is your house so of course you are entitled to lay down some rules, you will get a general idea of what the people are like when the come to view the house anyway, you could always throw in the late nights in a jokey way as in "myself and my bf are always up early for work so we don't want someone who is going to stay up late partying all night!" Id also mention the no smoking in the house ( that's if your not smokers yourself) and say you don't mind them having vistors over ect but if someone is staying you would like a bit of notice.

Have you thought about how you will work out about using the kitchen - like if you , your bf and tenant all come in from work at the same time, who gets to cook dinner first? What if you both want to use the washing machine at the same time? I know these are only little things, but still suff that needs to be sorted out . Also will you have any communal items you can all use, like Milk, Bread, Butter, Tea, Coffee, Washing Tablets, Cleaning Products, Toilet roll, kitchen roll, tin foil, cling film, or will you both buy your own seperatly ? again may sound stupid/trivial but still stuff that needs to be addressed.
    I think its fair enough for you to say that you don't want anyone else apart from the tenant to have a key/alarm code, I think ( I may be wrong) the point desperate housewife was making was that she gave her bf key in case of emergencys, like if she lost her bag or left it in work or on the bus or whatever and couldn't get in touch with other flatmates, then at least she could get the 'emergency' key of her bf & still be able to get into her home.
    what is the storey with parking? how many cars can you fit in your drive way? is there on street parking? if so, how will you decide who gets to park where?
    sorry for going on and on and on!! hope some of it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Browne11

If I walked in to this house for a viewing and you said about not walking into other rooms I would walk straight back out the front door! Their adults not children! Dont rent out your room!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hi OP,

I'm an owner occupier or was at least for a number of years and I'm going to be honest. It's not worth it , you know that saying 'you want to know someone , live with them' it's all too true. I had endless hassle with tenants , not all of them some were fine but others who seemed grand when we met them turned into nightmares within a week or two.

I know it seems a good idea for an extra few quid , but the consequences are that you will have extra hassle , you will have arguments/disagreements, you will end up giving out with your BF over them at some stage , there will be times when thing's become untidy and you feel that they are stepping on your toe's.

If you and the other half have an argument , there's a stranger in your house who can hear everything , you can't ask them to leave because they live there.

If you come in from a hard day at work and they are on the sofa watching TV that's tough because they live there.

If your starving and want to make dinner but they are already in the middle of cooking, that's tough you'll have to wait because they are paying you rent.

That's the reality of it , suddenly the extra €300 a month you'd happily give to have your house back with just the two of you.

Thanks messers, I feel like i am being made out to be some sort of monster.

This is first experience so just unsure what way to approach a few things.

Yes true if someone is staying would like a bit of notice and dont want it ending up say the GF or BF stays like 5 out of 7 nights you know.

Dont mind the person having friends over at all just want them to know that not all nights during week you know.

We are non smokers so yes better say that no smoking in house.

Well I am pretty easy going on that even though I am made so sound not like that at all. The kitchen is big enough for us to work around each other i dont mind.

Yes maybe should mention a little kitty for cleaning items, kitchen, toilet rolls.

Browne11 wrote: »
    If I walked in to this house for a viewing and you said about not walking into other rooms I would walk straight back out the front door! Their adults not children! Dont rent out your room!

No where did I say about walking in to other rooms, I said other bedrooms there is a difference.

This tentant will have sole use of a sitting room and bathroom.

I am walking away from this thread as all I wanted was some help guidelines on how to appoach renting a room and I feel my words are getting twisted and made to be some sort of monster to live WITH.

Thanks for all replies.

Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BookBook

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

Decent information to be found here including some helpful questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

There's a difference between having the bathroom for their sole use and having it "mainly" for their sole use. Even if you only use it to do your make-up, it's a shared bathroom.

I lived in an apartment before with an owner-occupier where he had advertised that I would have sole use of the main bathroom. But occasionally I'd see signs that he'd used it when I was away from the apartment. It annoyed me because firstly, it made me feel that I had to leave it perfectly clean at all times in case he decided to use it, and secondly, I wasn't comfortable leaving personal girly products lying around in there any more. (By the way, I did keep it clean most of the time anyways, but it was annoying having to make the effort to have it presentable when I was rushing out for work in the mornings.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I don't think you're being a monster OP, so sorry if it's come across as that, but I do think that you're being a little controlling. Fair enough on the food etc in the room but in terms of it being kept clean & tidy - they are paying for the use of the bedroom & therefore it is theirs for that time frame. You can't dictate how the room is kept unless it's affecting the rest of the house (smells etc). I'm a naturally messy person & oftentimes my bedroom would have some clothes/make-up etc lying around. Yes I'd close the door & I'd never have it impact someone else but I'd feel like I'd never left home if someone was checking was it tidy.
    I've never had a landlord check how tidy my room was. They've checked they common areas are kept but not bedrooms.

I know you say that you want the extra money from this but it sounds like you don't really want someone else in your house. I'd really think about it carefully before you go down that path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Regarding the alarm code, check the manual, as you should be able to give the person their own alarm code (different to yours). This is handy as you can see when they came and went. It also allows you to turn it off, so when they leave and give back the key, you can disable their alarm code for peace of mind.
    Any suggestions where I could put an ad for something like this?
    State it in your ad that you'd prefer a Monday to Friday letting, but keep in mind the rent will be lower as well.

Advertisement