Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hozier - Olympia Theatre Dec 4th

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

siblers wrote: »
    Ah bollocks..was hoping for something in Munster

Oh don't rule out anything in Munster, but Marquee won't be likely. Not that it leaves many options I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

siblers wrote: »
    Ah bollocks..was hoping for something in Munster

Has he not played in Munster yet?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh don't rule out anything in Munster, but Marquee won't be likely. Not that it leaves many options I guess.

Dont rule it out Biffy and Elbow did Kilmainham and the Marquee this summer.

If its true that Coldplay are doing Slane i could see him on the bill with them too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

symbolic wrote: »
    Has he not played in Munster yet?

Yeah he has, I meant for his next tour of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dont rule it out Biffy and Elbow did Kilmainham and the Marquee this summer.

While that is true, I see it as less likely due to his record company being MCD, or MCD owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 WilliamC

Disaster to be honest - I was on @ 11 on the dot the Thursday of the presale - 9 on the Friday (along with about 10 people from work) - none of us got tickets. I'd say they were literally gone in 10 seconds.

Fan for a long time - wifes 'cool' sister put me onto him early. This is probably her first recommendation where our musical paths did cross and we can agree!!!

Its a pity these venues were picked - but I guess that's just the way it goes. Note sure if there is a better option in Cork anyway - maybe 2 nights would of eased the pain. Maybe its still possible who knows.

I really think that tickets of this sort (very limited number with very popular artist) should have a name on the ticket policy to avoid the touting. Pairs of tickets are selling for 400 euro on ebay and done deal - the artist still gets the same - I would pay extra if it went to the artist - or even to a charity - but not when it goes to opportunists. Sure its no illegal - but ?I do believe immoral.

Anyway I guess that's my rant over - if anyone has tickets for Cork or Killarney and is feeling generous feel free to hit me up.

@Hozier if you need someone to carry your guitar case to and from the gig I am available - I can sit on the floor and you'll barely notice me!!!!

Any of you guys at the Dublin show earlier tonight? Seeing him tomorrow night in Killarney!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Dublin show was very good... He's some set of lungs on him!! Needs to work on his stage presence a bit... Was hard to hear what he was saying inbetween the songs. In saying that some amount of idiots at the gig... People heckling and chatting away during slower songs... Why bother going if you're not going to listen to the artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

In fairness, he did well dealing with the guy shouting at him before In A Week. Some artists would have lost the head. That song was stunning btw.

Lot of people around me only knew Take Me To Church too.

He does need to work on his stage presence but I find the awkwardness kind of endearing. :o

Overall, brilliant gig though. Anyone heading to the other shows is in for a massive treat. Literally. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

3rd time this year seeing him and honestly dublin people are so disrespectful to an artist, seen him in glasgow two weeks ago and you could hear a penny drop when he talked people respected him so much more then last night, drunken idiots roaring over him singing heckling him and roaring up to him when he is telling a story! idiots!! you paid money to see him stand and respect him! the man himself was outstanding as always! he gets better and betters roll on a big big 2015 for him.

sorry for the rant

• Advertisement

I couldn't make out what that idiot was saying before In A Week, but he interrupted the gig three times in the space of about a minute. I don't understand, if you're not going to be polite and respect the person you paid money to see, why bother going at all? It really just annoys the artist AND the actual fans around you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I couldn't make out what that idiot was saying before In A Week, but he interrupted the gig three times in the space of about a minute. I don't understand, if you're not going to be polite and respect the person you paid money to see, why bother going at all? It really just annoys the artist AND the actual fans around you!

Yeah its always the same at those kind of gigs. They ain't there for the music. When he played Whelans this year it was the same thing. People just there for the event and in this case Take Me to Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Sounds amazing besides the idiots of course...how long was he playing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Yeah, it was a great gig.
    The heckler was a bit of a knob... I couldn't hear most of what he said but the one bit I did get was "You f'ing ugly c*nt" - as was said, seriously, why go to these things if you have no interest..... There were thousands of disappointed fans trying to get tickets and some gob****e goes along, gets wasted, abuses the performer and gets chucked out!:rolleyes:

Anyway, his singing was amazing. Such rich tone and I think that was even more evident live than on his album. I agree with others, needs to work on the stage presence - it was indeed hard to hear him & the stories he was telling.

I'm pure delighted I managed to get tickets and loved every min of it.
    For those of you yet to attend his upcoming gigs - enjoy!!! :D

HiGlo wrote:
    Yeah, it was a great gig. The heckler was a bit of a knob... I couldn't hear most of what he said but the one bit I did get was "You f'ing ugly c*nt" - as was said, seriously, why go to these things if you have no interest..... There were thousands of disappointed fans trying to get tickets and some gob****e goes along, gets wasted, abuses the performer and gets chucked out!
    What a charmer... :rolleyes: Personally, I would (;)), but that's sort of neither here nor there. :p

I'm so glad I got tickets. Also got tickets for Slane (sort of present for my brother), but I'm going too even though I much prefer smaller venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

The amount of people talking was so annoying! Didnt think the sound was great but he has some voice on him. Played for about an hour and a half. Like the others have said above, was hard to hear when he was speaking and those talking around us didnt help that but he cant be faulted for that! Great show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I wasn't at his gig last night. I only recently discovered him and his music so I am a new fan and I missed out on tickets for this.

Reading here and delighted to read that it went reasonably well aside from a heckler and people yapping.

Read a story on the journal a little while ago about people who have been scammed on buying secondhand tickets for the hozier gig. I just wanted to pop in here and wish anyone who were affected by this the very best wishes and hope they find some sort of a comfort this weekend. If this happened to me I think I would die. To look forward for months in anticipation for a gig, make plans for travelling and perhaps staying over, just to be turned away at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

The audience was a disgrace - it was like he was a pub singer in the background for half the songs. I thought everyone there was going to know and love every song but you could see how restless the majority where when he wasn't playing the radio hits. Thats the drawback of mass appeal I suppose - perhaps something for Hozier himself to consider for the long term once this initial whirlwind dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

The audience was a disgrace - it was like he was a pub singer in the background for half the songs. I thought everyone there was going to know and love every song but you could see how restless the majority where when he wasn't playing the radio hits. Thats the drawback of mass appeal I suppose - perhaps something for Hozier himself to consider for the long term once this initial whirlwind dies down.

Yea it wasnt the big sing along gig that I was expecting. There was just so many people talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Glad to hear it went well, he sounded great from clips I watched! Can't wait to see him tomorrow night in Cork.

• Advertisement

Just in from the Killarney gig, him and his band were brilliant. I'd marry Alana Henderson tbh. Going on what I read from the Dublin show, the crowd were probably quite opposite as in they were, very, very loud. Lots of feet stamping, chanting etc. When he announced he was nominated for a Grammy the place went bananas, was a very young crowd though so there was a lot of screeching which was a pain at times.All his songs were very well received and i didn't notice anyone who was just there for the hits. Didn't expect such a young crowd really. Only time I couldn't make out what he was saying in between songs and that was due to the crowd roaring and screeching but he seemed comfortable enough talking about his songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

Was gutted I missed out on this gig, despite being in full 'keyboard warrior' mode the day of the sale...

We had already got tickets for David Gray at the INEC (last night) so I wanted to double up with Hozier the night before.

My OH has followed him from the start. Literally the very very beginning before anyone knew him. At one stage I was considering spending 400 quid on eBay tickets...

I'm off to Slane with the lads in May and OH is not happy that I'm gong to see Hozier before her... Or so she thinks!

Looking forward to seeing her face Christmas morning when she sees her flights and tickets to see him play in the Ancienne Belgique in Brussels at the end of January.

The things we do for love, eh?

You're a legend!!!!! :D

Seriously, she's a lucky lady! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

You're a legend!!!!! :D

Seriously, she's a lucky lady! :)

Nah, I'm the lucky one (cue vomiting sounds)... Hardest part is not telling her.

She was GUTTED when 2 close friends posted on Facebook from the Hozier gig on Friday. And I could tell at David Gray last night that she was thinking 'what if'...

I was sooooo tempted to let the cat out of the bag. She's now considering Slane, just to see him, even though she HATES the venue.

Just another few weeks... Hold it together man.

Did anyone catch him on Ian Dempsey Friday morning? It's on the podcast - such a nice guy - and what a voice live.

Awh man, do you have a single twin?! :D

It'll be worth it when you see her face Christmas morning!

I listened to that on the Today FM website yesterday. What a voice live is right. Amazing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Idrive wrote:
    I got two seated tickets for cork on the 6th dec - phew

we had standing for the gig lastnight. It was a serious gig. Great to see homegrown talent doing so well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Saw him in Castlebar last night. He was very good. His sound is great. Pity about the idiots in the crowd (a lot) who chatted away all through his acoustic songs. Was like some of them were only there for the one song. :mad:

Larianne wrote:
    Saw him in Castlebar last night. He was very good. His sound is great. Pity about the idiots in the crowd (a lot) who chatted away all through his acoustic songs. Was like some of them were only there for the one song. 
    "Is this one Take Me To Church?"

Heard that a few times in the Olympia. :rolleyes:

Killarney crowd were totally opposite, all his singles and a few unreleased ones got pretty much the same positive reaction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement