Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Running a classic car everyday? Tips please

Options
  • 06-10-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi
    I am thinking of purchasing a late 80`s or early 90`s bmw or similar car. But if I buy a rust free example, how do I keep it RUST FREE ?? I do was my cars at least once a week but is there anything extra I can do to make sure it stays rust free even if I drive it in rain ? :) I do not tend on driving it on snow or ice at all (maybe very little ) but is there any tips for washing underneath a car and in the arches ect ?? any help and tips is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, there are several things you can do.
    Keep a good coat of wax on it and clean and put anti-rust underneath.

This has come up in Classic forum before so I'm moving this thread there from DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

I reckon that it is essential for the car to be garaged for a start.
    Irish weather plays havoc on older cars if kept outdoors.
    After that, there are many rust preventative treatments available which will help protect the chassis, underbody and inner sills/ door cavities etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Actually, on that, are there any companies who will rus protect a car after work has been done? ie they'll underseal it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Stiggy917

thanks for all the replys. Everything is helpfull. I hope someone can answer your question also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

I know a panel beater in Carlow who offers this kind of work, i believe he uses Dinitrol products. I can send you on his details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I ran a 1990 Corolla for over a year as a daily driver so I always knew from the start that keeping it rust free would take work (a rather prone era of cars to the tin worm). Without any doubt the first and most important step was to regularly keep on top of cleaning the car to stop build ups of mud and gunk. I know it was probley me being pedantic but there were times I could have had the hose out 2/3 times a week during the winter to make sure the car stayed good. As someone else said, a regular scheduele of waxing does wonder for paint and holds off bubbling.

Outside of regular cleaning, give time for more indepth cleaning of areas like sills, arches etc. I twice stripped the sideskirts, arch liners and other bits on mine to give them a proper deep clean as its in these spots that mud can build up and go unnoticed until the tin worm comes through the metal.

In terms of wax sealing, i never had to do it as a previous owner had got possibly the most indepth amount of wax sealing I have ever seen with nearly every last nook and crany looked after. The fact that areas that are notorious for rust were still good shows that the process works.

hi
    could you send me on his details also please ? thanks :)
    *ciandon .. good advice there :) i would tend to be the same. I hate a dirty car in general ... I would probably clean a vw caddy c20 in the same way :D thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Garage is essential for a classic, but I'm thinking more up to early 80's, later stuff is a lot better protected or even galvanised, so if you're running an early 90's, you should be better off rustwise.

actually, on the subject of storing old classics .. I have an old pug 305 and my father has a w126 mercedes :) we are storing these in a decent enough shed outside the hoes with a one foot wall (ish) and then galvanize sheets all round with timber ( never use tember ! :P ) uprights/ columns :) these car are polished and waxed regularly but is there any tips on keeping them rust free while in storage ?? they are only used in summer if at all... someone who owned a cadiallic with lots of chrome in great nic told us that we should put vasilene on the chrome when its stored ? true ? any other tips please :) thanks :)

Advertisement