Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burkas - Australia looking to ban the practice

• 06-10-2014 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

The prime minister of Australia, Tony Abbot, is looking to ban the burka. He finds them "confronting" and "not something used to seeing in Australia." What do boardies think?? Should the Burka be banned in Ireland? Is it an attack on secularism and if a muslim woman farts in a Burka does she suffocate or does the smell rise up and vent through the eye slot??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Seems silly to ban a hat tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I just think the whole thing is disgusting.

Imagine if that was your girlfriend/partner/daughter with all them mickeys ejaculating onto her face.

Them crazy Japanese. They started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Probably a health and safety measure, you would roast in that rig out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

I'm getting sick of all these self-righteous busybodies who just won't let people live in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Absolutely. If you want to dress up like a postbox then piss off to a country that finds that normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Yes, lets ban certain items of clothing. Certain made France a safer and better place.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Absolutely. If you want to dress up like a postbox then piss off to a country that finds that normal.

OK. Should we ban kilts here because we don't wear them?

How about hawaiian grass skirts? Should they be on this list too?

I am pie wrote: »
    OK. Should we ban kilts here because we don't wear them?

How about hawaiian grass skirts? Should they be on this list too?

Do kilts or grass skirts conceal you from head to toe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

So much for the whole idea of a free society and freedom of expression. Why don't you "piss off" to somewhere like Saudi Arabia? There's a society that fits your ideals of enforcing cultural norms.

Do kilts or grass skirts conceal you from head to toe?

No, is that the criteria? Banning clothes that obscure the head?

Should we ban those big costs with fur hoods the conceal the face? In winter can I wear sunglasses and a scarf covering my mouth with a hood or would that be illegal with the clothing cops too?

• Advertisement

I am confused, what about ski masks or balaclavas? Are they out too?

Will there be a minimum measurement in cm of facial skin that must be exposed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If everything that made a sufficiently large number of people feel uncomfortable was banned, there wouldn't be a whole lot left that's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I wonder if Muslim women who wear the burka look at nuns and think, "Look at those slags with their noses hanging out."

No, is that the criteria? Banning clothes that obscure the head?

Should we ban those big costs with fur hoods the conceal the face? In winter can I wear sunglasses and a scarf covering my mouth with a hood or would that be illegal with the clothing cops too?

Can you walk in to a shop with a motorbike helmet on or the clothes you've mentioned obscuring your face? No you can't so why the double standards?

And just for an example, let's imagine that a known jihadist decides to plot an attack here and uses this clothing to disguise themselves while entering the country. Are you still comfortable in that case?

Can you walk in to a shop with a motorbike helmet on or the clothes you've mentioned obscuring your face? No you can't so why the double standards?

And just for an example, let's imagine that a known jihadist decides to plot an attack here and uses this clothing to disguise themselves while entering the country. Are you still comfortable in that case?

Yes, I imagine you can. I have never been told to show my face in a shop in Ireland.

A bank might be a different idea. Again, that's up to the business involved and they'd need to provide a security reason. Banks might be the exception. Hardly justifies a ban though.

I don't imagine for a second that Ireland will be a target for Islamic terrorism as it never has been in it's history.

Have you any examples of the deadly burka being used in terrorism in the UK for example? Pretty sure the bombers there were "westernised looking" muslims, same with the NY attacks. No burkas involved.

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Nobody should be allowed cover their face in a public place.
    If I walk into a building with a balaclava, people will be uneasy. I see no difference between a burqah and a balaclava. People's safety should come before people's religious beliefs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Probably a health and safety measure, you would roast in that rig out.

Well in Australia 2 out of 3 people develop skin cancer by the age of 70. A burka might actually be a good idea health wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The prime minister of Australia, Tony Abbot, is looking to ban the burka. He finds them "confronting" and "not something used to seeing in Australia." What do boardies think?? Should the Burka be banned in Ireland? Is it an attack on secularism and if a muslim woman farts in a Burka does she suffocate or does the smell rise up and vent through the eye slot??
    What do you think ????

I think you are just a rabble rousing muppet.

Because if you'd actually bothered to post a legit link then everyone would see that the "ban" was just asking people hiding their faces to go into a separate area behind glass while watching the parliament.

A fairly reasonable request considering how high value a target it is and that people with motorbike helmets aren't allowed into banks and taking into account at least one murder suspect has fled the UK in a similar attire.

More to the point they've back peddled so you are late to your own party.

Nobody should be allowed cover their face in a public place.
    If I walk into a building with a balaclava, people will be uneasy. I see no difference between a burqah and a balaclava. People's safety should come before people's religious beliefs

Number of violent crimes or terrorist attacks in Ireland committed by women wearing Burkas?

0 would be my guess.

Shouldn't we make laws which address reality as opposed to xenophobic paranoia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

There should probably be a law about covering your face in public unless it is for safety reasons.

Burka or not, it makes identifying people a bit difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Number of violent crimes or terrorist attacks in Ireland committed by women wearing Burkas?

0 would be my guess.

Shouldn't we make laws which address reality as opposed to xenophobic paranoia?

How do you know it's a Muslim woman under there?

How do you know it's a Muslim woman under there?

OK, number of terrorist attacks/serious crimes in Ireland in which a burka has been implicated?

More or less than the balaclava would you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm getting sick of all these self-righteous busybodies who just won't let people live in peace.

Catholics? Protestants? Muslims? Jews? Which ones?

There should probably be a law about covering your face in public unless it is for safety reasons.

Burka or not, it makes identifying people a bit difficult.

There is no legal requirement to be able to be identified in public is there?

Is there a situation, beyond xenophobia, which presents a realistic case for this law?

In a bank i can understand, banks should have a separate area with security were the burka wearer should be forced to identify themselves facially. No doubt. Anything else is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

I don't feel in the slightest bit threatened by women in burkas to be honest.

Was in Istanbul this week and was discussing it with the Mrs. My only concern is whether the women wearing them would prefer not to wear them if it was entirely their own choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It wasn't a ban, it was a plan to segregate people wearing full facial coverings in the parliament for security reasons, and he changed his mind. So there's no real reason to continue on with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement