Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting New Hedge

• 06-10-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

So I have a very flimsy/ half rotten "ranch style" timber fence on 3 sides of my property - total length about 180m. I want to plant a native Irish hedge. My question is what is the best approach to planting?
    1. Remove fence first, then plant - allows hedge more space to grow - but may remove some support for the hedge in it's first few years?
    2. Plant hedge and let fence rot away - saves me time, provides additional stuff for the wildlife to get involved with - might damage the growth of plants?

Any thoughts, additional advice, alternate options always welcome.

Thanks in advance,

SH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 itsawrap

Hi Sparrowhawk,
    I would be inclined to use the fence as a guide for hedge positioning then after markers had been put in place I would remove it.Why? Well if it is already damaged it might and probably will deteriorate further whilst your new hedge is establishing itself, it could also get blown over if its already compromised.Any removal of posts after planting will upset your new root structure.
    If its in an exposed area a wind break will help your shrubs get started.No expert, just my way of approaching it.
    Happy planting.

Advertisement