Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Playback VLC

Options
  • 06-10-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, i know a lot of people don't like 3D, but howsever.

I upgraded my tv today to an LG 49" 3D LED UHD (49UB850v), and i've only been playing around with it for a small bit, so i don't know much about it yet. I'm testing it out in different aspects of how i use it, and it works fine for gaming, video playback, etc, but i've just tried to play Days of Future Past (have the Blu-Ray but downloaded the 3D version to test it out), and it's not right (passive 3D).

The download is SBS, and the 2nd 3D option on the tv is SBS, so i do that, and the image is not great. I fiddled with a few settings, changed the image correction from left/right to right/left and it centered it a bit more. Closing one eye at a time, i can see the left image is about an inch away from the right side of the tv, and vice versa. With the glasses on, i can see the inch on either side is not filled properly, and the 3D effect is still out of focus. I tried messing with the FOV and Depth (+/- 10 either side) and it doesn't appear to make a difference.

So, is it the fact that it's not a genuine 3D Blu-Ray? I'm using my PC (spec here, better PSU) and VLC. Am i missing something? Do i need some hardware/software to run 3D on the PC? I don't have a 3D BR to try on the PS3/4, so i don't know if that'll be any different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Try using a different 3D player, you can try different SBS methods, VLC doesn't have much options.

That said I watch my 3D movies (media files not discs) using VLC and never had a problem really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Using the TV itself and the LG Store, i was able to watch one of those free videos in 3D. I think i may be sitting too close, but even with moving back it was still off on the right hand side. Think i'll need to get a 3D Blu-Ray and test it before doing anything else.

So, i put the file onto a usb and straight into the tv and the 3D was nowhere near as bad (still ghosting on distant objects, but watchable... just about). So this leads me to believe that it's not the files. Any chance it's the HDMI cable, or my hardware?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Try playing it off a hard drive connected to the TV. I've done that lots of times and it worked fine. Try using a OU version also. Not that x men dofp is one of them but I've noticed that, just like when watching 3d movies at the cinema, if a movie wasn't actually filmed in 3d but is just a post conversion that its not even worth the effort watching in 3d. I never go see 3d movies in the cinema unless it was actually recorded in 3d, don't see the point since there's usually a lot more ghosting and sh!t.

Edit: is your HDMI a high speed one for 3d and 4k?

Try playing it off a hard drive connected to the TV. I've done that lots of times and it worked fine. Try using a OU version also. Not that x men dofp is one of them but I've noticed that, just like when watching 3d movies at the cinema, if a movie wasn't actually filmed in 3d but is just a post conversion that its not even worth the effort watching in 3d. I never go see 3d movies in the cinema unless it was actually recorded in 3d, don't see the point since there's usually a lot more ghosting and sh!t.

Edit: is your HDMI a high speed one for 3d and 4k?

And when i saw X-Men: DOFP in the cinema, i remember thinking that the 3D worked extremely well in it. Not overly used, but complimented the film. But it is possible that it's post conversion that's not working right for me. As i said above, i'll have to get a film shot in 3D on BR to really test it.

As for the connection, i have no idea if it's a fancy 1.4 HDMI, but i doubt it. The tv is only 2 days old, and the HDMI cables i have are all well over a year old. Unless the cable that came with the PS4 is 1.4, i think i may have to invest. A CNET article i read earlier seemed to suggest that the connection/cable shouldn't make a difference... That all HDMI cables/connections are capable of the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement