Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating trouble - seeking advice

• 06-10-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi folks. Since the temperatures have dropped over the past week, I've noticed that my heating isn't working fully.

Im living in a rented house but the landlord is away until Thursday. We have an oil burner out back. When the boiler starts up, at it's set times, it heats the water in the tank in the hot press and once thats up to temperature the boiler shuts off.

Thats all fine but none of my radiators are heating up. Iv checked that all the valves are open and that the rads are bled and the motorized valves are operating when the boiler turns on.

We had a plumber in a while back who fixed the circulating pump after water leaked into the electrics and since then the rads are not heating.

Im certainly not an expert in plumbing but I have a sneaking suspicion that Im overlooking something very simple.

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Third3ye wrote: »
    Hi folks. Since the temperatures have dropped over the past week, I've noticed that my heating isn't working fully.

Im living in a rented house but the landlord is away until Thursday. We have an oil burner out back. When the boiler starts up, at it's set times, it heats the water in the tank in the hot press and once thats up to temperature the boiler shuts off.

Thats all fine but none of my radiators are heating up. Iv checked that all the valves are open and that the rads are bled and the motorized valves are operating when the boiler turns on.

We had a plumber in a while back who fixed the circulating pump after water leaked into the electrics and since then the rads are not heating.

Im certainly not an expert in plumbing but I have a sneaking suspicion that Im overlooking something very simple.

Thanks in advanced for any advice.
    Is there a room stat on your wall? Is it turned up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Third3ye

Yep! Iv 2 as the house has 2 zones. It was on 18°C and I turned it up to 30°C and still no joy. Is it possible that these could be faulty?

Yep! Iv 2 as the house has 2 zones. It was on 18°C and I turned it up to 30°C and still no joy. Is it possible that these could be faulty?

Yes definitely. Can you take the heads off and open them manually?

. They are a twisy dial type. Iv taken the cover off of 1 of them and all that exposes are two wires, the knob and the wall fixing screws. Its a Flash 54183 thermostat if that helps.

Iv turned both thermostats up to the last and boosted my heating. The pipes going too and from the motorized valves for both heating zones are hot but still no heat in the rads. The rad nearest the valves is slightly luke warm but wont get any hotter. I wonder is the circulating pump shagged? Its making a very faint ticking sound as if its doing barely any work.

• Advertisement

Iv turned both thermostats up to the last and boosted my heating. The pipes going too and from the motorized valves for both heating zones are hot but still no heat in the rads. The rad nearest the valves is slightly luke warm but wont get any hotter. I wonder is the circulating pump shagged? Its making a very faint ticking sound as if its doing barely any work.

I meant take the heads off the motorised valves. Turn off the balance valve on your cylinder and see will this help the rad circuit

Advertisement