Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Sex While Drunk Is Now Legally Rape In California'?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

iptba wrote: »

Not sure I get the logic. The possibility for becoming pregnant is punishment enough for girls who commit statutory rape.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

psinno wrote: »
    Not sure I get the logic. The possibility for becoming pregnant is punishment enough for girls who commit statutory rape.
    Huh? :confused: The bloke involved would be a potential parent too and with the possibility of a criminal record as a rapist and gaol time. Bit of a diff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wibbs wrote: »
    Huh? :confused: The bloke involved would be a potential parent too and with the possibility of a criminal record as a rapist and gaol time. Bit of a diff.

Sure they get nine months and then some hard labour on top of it. :rollseyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

That is what their logic seems to be not mine.

I seem to recall at the time people said they didn't want to stigmatise underage mums. No problem stigmatising underage fathers. Granted fathers find it a little easier to avoid responsibility but that is hardly what society should set out to encourage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

That phrase "a rapist by law" is really meaningless. Nobody is a rapist by law unless they are actually convicted of having committed rape. Let's not pretend that the laws as they are currently written are a prohibitive concern for teenagers. Men aren't "doing women a favour" by "risking" having sex with them. Men are getting something out of it too (well, I am at least, I've never had any reason to complain).

The "appalling vista" stuff based on fantasy around here sometimes really gets to me. I would hate to think men are being encouraged to be wary of women's motives in wanting to have sex with them. That's the kind of ideology I'd expect to hear from MGTOW idiots, not from the average Irish male.
    Indeed. And yet the sentence "As far as I can see you are essentially taking a chance every time you have sex as a man" was published here just a few posts ago. Red-pill-tastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

psinno wrote: »

The mind boggles. I'm not sure if you genuinely believe what you've just written or have carried out a superb troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Azalea wrote: »
    Indeed. And yet the sentence "As far as I can see you are essentially taking a chance every time you have sex as a man" was published here just a few posts ago. Red-pill-tastic.

Speaking of which:

http://www.joe.ie/news/a-meeting-for-a-notorious-mens-rights-activist-group-will-take-place-in-naas-this-saturday/529319

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

By the way, Roosh has said himself he is not an MRA
    e.g.
    http://embed.gyazo.com/b1325279db27a45f18982fdad5f1fec9.png

He is described on Wikipedia as a pickup artist and writer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosh_V

A quick look at the list of his books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosh_V#Books gives an idea where he is coming from.

iptba wrote: »
    By the way, Roosh has said himself he is not an MRA
    e.g.
    http://embed.gyazo.com/b1325279db27a45f18982fdad5f1fec9.png

He is described on Wikipedia as a pickup artist and writer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosh_V

A quick look at the list of his books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosh_V#Books gives an idea where he is coming from.

I'd to go a fair bit down the google listings to find a link that didn't call him a 'rape advocate', as I figured that was inflammatory. I wouldn't have thought of him as anything other than a professional wind-up merchant, and even that's being kind. I don't particularly care for his ideas either way tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd to go a fair bit down the google listings to find a link that didn't call him a 'rape advocate', as I figured that was inflammatory. I wouldn't have thought of him as anything other than a professional wind-up merchant, and even that's being kind. I don't particularly care for his ideas either way tbh.
    Pretty much nails my feelings on the guy. A troll surfing on the wave of outrage and making a few quid doing so. Ranting about him on Facebook, twitter et al feeds the guy. Especially if people scream "rape advocate". Those on the fence who dig deeper are more likely to be swayed by the idea he's being misrepresented, even if they find his musings uncomfortable. He is best ignored for the troll he is.

I've had an oul perusal of his forum and in overview it's interesting. There are some clearly bright, well read and well traveled posters there. I may not agree with many of their ideas, but they're not the eejits some would like them to be, or feel safer thinking they are. Needless to say politically the loudest voices range from hardline hard right Libertarians, all the way up to full on hard right racists, who are both patriotic and at the same time feel america is going down the poo pipe. Trump is their natural fit demigod. Talk of "no homo" and "cuck" and "alpha" and "beta" abounds. "Gamma" too. They're gonna fcukin run out of the Greek alphabet at this stage. Seriously guys, that shít's overcompensating for something, or really makes it look like it.

For all the talk by some of "Board's censorship!!", his place is laughingly restrictive and if even long term posters go off script they get banned. I'd bet that the majority of the guys who reckon Boards is censored by "loony lefties" wouldn't last long on that guys forum. Even they'd be too "liberal" and women can't even join up. Vigorous debate is only encouraged along very narrow criteria, again go off piste and bye bye. It's just as much an echo chamber as a Jezebel bloggist with scary hair is. Then again Irony can be a concept lost on some Americans.

The PUA stuff has lost its lustre and is oversold in the market, so these guys had to come up with new ways to cash in on the section of younger men looking for answers. It first spread out into ever more location and time specific stuff(day/night/club/street/zoo/grocery shop"game"), then it moved into travelogue with dusky maidens in exotic locales vicarious stuff. Now it seems to be going more into the political.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Which is it? Ignore it as nonsense or take seriously some of his posters instead of wanting to think/"feeling safe thinking" they're just eejits? :confused:

Which is it? Ignore it as nonsense or take seriously some of his posters instead of wanting to think/"feeling safe thinking" they're just eejits? :confused:

Personally, I'd ignore it as nonsense, wind-up merchants (there's a couple of 'em) and their miserable bunch of fantasists. Social rejects that feed each others egos and provide validation for their insecurities is all.

Ignore it. Don't fan the flames. Don't assume because someone's views are abhorrent to you that they're eejits. Pretty simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Pretty much nails my feelings on the guy. A troll surfing on the wave of outrage and making a few quid doing so. Ranting about him on Facebook, twitter et al feeds the guy. Especially if people scream "rape advocate". Those on the fence who dig deeper are more likely to be swayed by the idea he's being misrepresented, even if they find his musings uncomfortable. He is best ignored for the troll he is.

I've had an oul perusal of his forum and in overview it's interesting. There are some clearly bright, well read and well traveled posters there. I may not agree with many of their ideas, but they're not the eejits some would like them to be, or feel safer thinking they are. Needless to say politically the loudest voices range from hardline hard right Libertarians, all the way up to full on hard right racists, who are both patriotic and at the same time feel america is going down the poo pipe. Trump is their natural fit demigod. Talk of "no homo" and "cuck" and "alpha" and "beta" abounds. "Gamma" too. They're gonna fcukin run out of the Greek alphabet at this stage. Seriously guys, that shít's overcompensating for something, or really makes it look like it.

For all the talk by some of "Board's censorship!!", his place is laughingly restrictive and if even long term posters go off script they get banned. I'd bet that the majority of the guys who reckon Boards is censored by "loony lefties" wouldn't last long on that guys forum. Even they'd be too "liberal" and women can't even join up. Vigorous debate is only encouraged along very narrow criteria, again go off piste and bye bye. It's just as much an echo chamber as a Jezebel bloggist with scary hair is. Then again Irony can be a concept lost on some Americans.

The PUA stuff has lost its lustre and is oversold in the market, so these guys had to come up with new ways to cash in on the section of younger men looking for answers. It first spread out into ever more location and time specific stuff(day/night/club/street/zoo/grocery shop"game"), then it moved into travelogue with dusky maidens in exotic locales vicarious stuff. Now it seems to be going more into the political.

I wouln't be surprised if that guy is a troll. I've seen far more reactions and reponses to him than I've seen of him. The last thing was him being asaulted by some women that then followed him all the way to his hotel in a small mob assaulting him, it made the people after him seem far worse.

I've never been to these forums but from the documentary on it the guys that go to these seem usless at approaching women and desperate for help. I've never seen the problem with it. I don't believe you can trick some into sleeping with you or that women hanging around bars are vunerable or at risk and being taken advantage of. The old saying 'you can't con an honest man' springs to mind.

Ignore it. Don't fan the flames. Don't assume because someone's views are abhorrent to you that they're eejits. Pretty simple really.
    But it's contradictory. Ignore it or take it seriously that intelligent people are being suckered in by that Return Of Kings stuff? Personally I think it's worrying. Moreso the fans rather than the person himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

But it's contradictory. Ignore it or take it seriously that intelligent people are being suckered in by that Return Of Kings stuff? Personally I think it's worrying. Moreso the fans rather than the person himself.

Kind of depends though. Oftentimes people go for this sort of thing because there's a genuine issue they have and this seems like a solution. People with a degree of self awareness (as opposed to intelligence) usually dip in but drift away after a while as they develop better ways to address the problem. Of course you'll always have the 'true believers' who get sucked in and go full rad MRA/ rad fem/ jihadist/ whatever, and there is a degree of responsibility that sits on those who promote the view when that happens. However there is a degree also to which its probably self fulfilling and some people will always find a dogma of some sort to cling to.

Tl:Dr most of the fans will be fine. For those that aren't they'd probably find a different outlet if this wasn't there. Doesn't excuse making a cult though....

tritium wrote: »
    Tl:Dr most of the fans will be fine. For those that aren't they'd probably find a different outlet if this wasn't there. Doesn't excuse making a cult though....
    There can also be the simple need for a community in people.

Advertisement