Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to get a tooth pulled and sh*tting it!

• 06-10-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

My dentist says i need to get a tooth pulled as one tooth has decay and is growing in toward another tooth. Which could potentially damage two teeth if it isn't extracted. I'm sh*tting is because ive never had a tooth pulled and well i love my teeth and don't want any pliers like implements in my mouth. It's not causing me any trouble at the moment which is why i want to leave it.
    I know the dentist is the professional here but i cant bare the thought of getting a tooth pulled.

Can anyone offer some advice, I don't know whether to go ahead with it or not. And does it hurt getting one pulled?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I got a wisdom tooth out. It's horrific. I have two more to get out and it's NOT HAPPENING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

I got a wisdom tooth out. It's horrific. I have two more to get out and it's NOT HAPPENING.

Thanks for the boost of confidence anyway hah. Aren't wisdom teeth alot different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hurts when the anesthetic wears off for a day or so.No pain much getting it out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure I took my own teeth out, at the beginning of the year. Had this tooth that was killing me, but going the dentist is such a pain. Got a hammer, then chickened out using it, so I just pulled it and pulled it, then lightly knocked it with the hammer, came out no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Without a doubt it is probably the most gut wrenchingly terrible thing any person can undergo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Its uncomfortable getting it pulled and sore afterwards. To be honest I'd have all my teeth pulled before having them cleaned again. That's just plain old fashioned torture that is.

Its uncomfortable getting it pulled and sore afterwards. To be honest I'd have all my teeth pulled before having them cleaned again. That's just plain old fashioned torture that is.

The way i see it is stick all the drills you want in my mouth but not a pliers ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Normal teeth don't hurt when getting extracted. The anesthetic completely numbs the gums and bone. You might need pain killers for afterwards and the worst part is the stitches if you have to get any.

Watch videos of tooth extractions on YouTube to ease your nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's not too bad once you get over the initial fear been honest I've had a serious amount of work done over several months .
    extractions aren't as bad as they used to be .
    Most dentists are great dealing with patients who are nervous or scared .

just lie back close your eyes ,deep breaths through your nose and once your numbed it will be over in 5 mins or a little longer depending on the tooth .

but dude don't make my mistake and put it off .

You can find great advice in the dental forum on here

A lot of private hospitals and certain dentists will do it in a far more relaxed manner. Last tooth I got out I was plied with Valium wgich made it a breeze. Time before that I went up North and they used the laughing gas. It's more expensive but well worth it. I've a horrible gag reflex and even the thought of any dentistry tool going near my mouth sets me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

I got a cracked tooth extracted a couple of months ago. I was dreading it, I hate going to the dentist even for a check up. I could no longer bear the pain so plucked up the courage to go. It was a painless and quick procedure and the hardest part was parting with the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

It's not too bad if you have a good dentist.. He numbs the gum and then pulls it out, you'll feel nothing. Later it'll feel strange when the anaesthetic wears off and you won't stop running your tongue over the gap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

cloud493 wrote: »
    Sure I took my own teeth out, at the beginning of the year. Had this tooth that was killing me, but going the dentist is such a pain. Got a hammer, then chickened out using it, so I just pulled it and pulled it, then lightly knocked it with the hammer, came out no bother.

Why didn't you just go to the dentist and see if he could save your tooth....? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Meh. I didnt have the time, patience, or money to do so. Better out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloucester

As someone who had a few teeth removed when younger and then got one large tooth removed in the last year or so, I'd say book the appointment and get it done!
    I was really nervous before my appointment last year as I'd bad memories of getting teeth removed years ago but was amazed by how quickly it was all over, and how quickly it healed!
    Having suffered toothache for ages and having damaged surrounding teeth by leaving it too long, I'd definitely recommend getting the extraction done now rather than later.
    Really, it's prob just half an hour max out of your day and you'll have only slight pain if any afterwards. I was fine with just paracetamol later in the evening and I'm normally a wimp when it comes to pain!
    I'd recommend making sure you've had your main meal of the day earlier so that you're not hungry and worrying about eating after the extraction. I also find evening appointments best for any dental work that scares me because at least you can sleep it off!

Go on, book the appointment as soon as you can! Seriously don't listen to horror stories. If you're nervous, it's really important to let your dentist know so you can discuss any issues that are worrying you about the procedure or aftercare. Once it's over, you'll wonder why you left it so long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The anesthetic has a weird effect. It stops the real bad pain around the tooth but the rest of your head still knows somethings trying to pull the side of your face off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

I doesn't hurt, but it does feel kind of weird when they're pulling the tooth. Best to get it done though or you'll have much worse things to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I got four teeth out at once. Was grand. Wasn't as bad as some of the dental things I've had done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

A couple of years ago I'd to get my four wisdom teeth removed. I got one taken out by my regular dentist. Now I hate the dentist and I was dreading going in. I sat in the chair and got the injection which I always think hurts the most.

After awhile of him poking around my mouth I was waiting for some major pain to start and I was very nervous. I asked him when he was going to take it out and he held it up and said he'd taken it out a few minutes before! I was delighted and left about ten minutes later nearly singing I was so happy.

I got the other three out in hospital because they'd to cut the gums and I'd to get stitches. I felt fine afterwards just a bit woozy from being put asleep. The worst bit is waiting to have it done but you will be grand don't worry:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It feels heavy, and you feel pressure.

It's like someone putting their fingers in your mouth and pushing down on your teeth. Except with more blood and agonizing screams. Don't worry though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Anesthetic ftw.
    Humanity's Number 1 invention by a long shot.

fvck your moon travel and emails.

Thanks everyone for the info, it seems like it wont actually be that painful. I'm feeling alot better about it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Im 40 and had to get a tooth out earler this year. It was healthy but growing into another one. My dentist was brilliant. I had a tootache going in. He gave me anasthetic (uncomfortable to get but not painful) and took the tooth out. The anasthetic lasted a few hours. After that the tootache returned. It was no worse than that. Next day all pain was gone.

Ive two wisdom teeth to get out soon. Thatll be a different matter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I shat myself in the dentists chair and then subsequently died for two days after I got my wisdom tooth pulled, goodluck OP you'll need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had four teeth taken out in one day before I got braces and I don't remember it being that painful. All I remember is leaving the office afterwards and being mortified because my mouth was so numb I kept drooling and couldn't even feel it. :pac:

I'd go for it if I were you. No point risking damage to your other teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's like someone trying to rip your jaw out with a blunt instrument, you'll be grand though...probably...if you survive...

I need surgery under GA for wisdom teeth, and I keep putting it off. I guess I should just make the appointment and deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I got a wisdom tooth pulled back in 2012, I hated visiting the dentist & my attendance to date had been less than stellar! It was actually not too bad in the end thanks to a really great dentist who was very calming & patient.

Best to get it do ASAP as you will only build it up in your mind, just do it like a plaster, pull out fast is always better in the long term! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Have you considered getting a second opinion? Don't dentists charge per operation? Seems like there's a lot of motivation for dentists to pull teeth out and bang fillings in willy nilly...

Bunch of cowboys Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The worst thing that can happen is a dry socket. Good luck if you get that because you'll want to rip your own head off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or try leaving the tooth in and then experiencing the releases you get from pain when the natural endorphins kick in.

If a tooth needs to come out delaying it just means more pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I've had a morbid fear of dentists for many years after a nasty experience in my youth with an unsympathetic gob****e put the anaestetic about an inch to the wrong side. It wasn't EXCRUCIATING but I still felt a few pangs of pain. I personally think the worst part is the twisting with the pliers as the dentist pulls on the tooth. It's a bizarre sensation-you can feel the bones grinding but not the pain of it.
    I have problematic wisdoms growing in with crooked, hooked roots. I keep insisting that they need to go as I've seen the x-rays and they look wholly unnatural but the last time I saw the dentist, she told me the pain was down to me apparently grinding my teeth when I sleep rather than the fact the teeth themselves are rotten and coming up sideways.
    Anyways, best bit of advice I can give you is to possibly bring an MP3 player with you. My last dentist was lovely about it and three Rammstein tracks later, the work was done with minimal fuss.
    Another good tip would be to go to a dentist who uses ultrasonic drills. Might be a bit more expensive but it's well worth it as it cuts the pain factor in half and the drills are fairly quiet so if you're easily spooked by the sound of them you should have no bother.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Pfft.

God be with the days when tieing a string to the offending tooth and the other end to a door and slamming the door shut was a legitimate medical practise.

Anaesthetic my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

In years to come your jaw will feel like it's being stabbed every minute of every day. Imagine how horrific that will be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Its been mentioned already, but laughing gas is the business.
    I had two healthy(ish) teeth removed, one on either side of my mouth and didn't feel a thing. I just drifted away, and thought happy thoughts (and some not so happy thoughts). I don't care how much it cost to get the gas and air, but if I need a filling or extraction or more done in future, will definitely be getting the aul laughing gas.

As for the widsom teeth, I had the 4 of them out in one go, under general anaesthetic. The post op was horrible, but at least I didn't have to suffer through the extractions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

OP, I know your fear. When the dentist told me I had to have a tooth removed, I was dreading it. Honestly, it was fine. The only thing was a little tenderness when the numbness wore off, not pain. Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Had to Google dry socket as I was unsure of what it was. Ooof. Sounds like something out of the NOPE Thread.
    Meself, I'm fairly used to dental pain by now. I try my best not to grind my teeth but it's an unconscious thing that I do without really realizing it.
    Somedays I wake up and my entire jaw feels like it's on fire- the ache goes right down to the bone and because I'm on other medication, I can't use anything stronger than Panadol Max to take the bite out of it. It tends to go away on its' own, though.
    Having said that, I'm long overdue for a check up. Apparently I really need to get fitted for a custom gumshield thingy that'll stop the nocturnal teeth grinding but I really don't like the idea of sleeping with a foreign object in my mouth. Also, my dentist wants €200 for the damn thing. Boo-urns to that!
    Can I ask the kind folk on this thread: What is it like using a night guard? Is it really as awkward as I fear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Pfft.

God be with the days when tieing a string to the offending tooth and the other end to a door and slamming the door shut was a legitimate medical practise.

Anaesthetic my ass.

That sounds like a crazy way to do it! Surely you'd be better off putting the anaesthetic in your mouth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Phantom pains afterwards are the worst. A toothache in a tooth that's no longer there, there's no cure for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

ScumLord wrote: »
    Phantom pains afterwards are the worst. A toothache in a tooth that's no longer there, there's no cure for that.

There is, it's called whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Honestly, just get it out. If the tooth starts to rot up into the nerve you'll know the meaning of true pain and you'll be praying to whatever god you believe in for a quick release from your never ending torture. Then, if it develops into an abscess you'll likely throw yourself under a bus.

Heed my warning, I wish someone had warned me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pfft.

Anaesthetic my ass.

we convinced the cousin to let us do something similar (using red brick and throw-down) we were like 7 or 8
    blood everywhere and resulted getting a giving out off his parents and mine

its half loose anyway:confused::confused:

don't do this OP...its terrible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I am getting an implant done on Wednesday, or the first part of it which is basically getting the full root of the foot taken out and replaced with a metal screw that needs to settle for about 2 months before putting the permanent implant in. I originally lost the tooth a long, long time ago playing rugby (bottom of a ruck, gum shield came out when I tackled the other guy, had a hand up blocking my temple because I was always paranoid about that, and looked up to see someones boot coming right down on my mouth. A roar that was later described "like a goat possessed by the devil" later and two teeth came out with a chunk of my gum. Yummy!).

Not too bothered apart from the bloody cost. Just tell your dentist you are paranoid of/very sensitive to pain and they'll drug you right up (I imagine someone flinching from fesr/pain in the chair is a dentists worst nightmare since the whole area they are covering is about 1cm) and ask them to prescribe some really strong painkillers. Got my wisdom teeth out years ago and they gave me something I think was called Zydol... I got dry socket on one side which was unbearable, but these things were like horse tranquilisers, take one and you are out like a light for a few hours.

If your having pain then get to a chemists and buy some Anbesol and rub it around the affected area. It'll offer a lot of relief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I just drifted away, and thought happy thoughts (and some not so happy thoughts). I don't care how much it cost to get the gas and air, but if I need a filling or extraction or more done in future, will definitely be getting the aul laughing gas.

Not so expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

My old chap visited the dentist for the first time in 27 years.

The guy had a bad experience as a young man and wouldnt go back.
    He really wanted to get his teeth done for years, would even go as far as to go down town and walk as far as the entrance to the Dentists office but couldn't bring himself to enter.

He plucked up the courage 3 weeks ago and got some (a lot) work done in there. He's delighted with himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

So, first you're tooth is being pulled and then you have to sh*t it out...?

Sorry, there was a serious lack of After Hour standard responses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

A few year ago I had to under go route canal treatment on a tooth at a cost of €600, A few years later the same tooth was acting up(Shooting pains) so went to the dentist who took some X -rays.
    It had to come out so a quick injection in to the gum a few minutes later when the lidocaine kicked in he took it out,I could actually hear the tooth rubbing off my wisdom tooth as he pulling it out.:D
    The gap left by the tooth was huge and the tooth was f**king huge,I headed straight in to work after the dentist.

Whatever you do OP, dont watch the movie ' Marathon Man' before you go to the dentist

On a serious note, if you have any TCP put a couple of drops in warm water and rinse your mouth, its great or disinfecting your mouth, plus it will help numb the pain. I find it brilliant for dental pain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I've had a total of 4 teeth pulled out in the space of a year. Getting it done was relatively painless but be careful afterwards. Dry socket can happen and that's sore. Talk about any fears with your dentist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement