Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to get a tooth pulled and sh*tting it!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Had one out on friday.
    He had said he would save it if poss, but after an xray said that it would have to come out.
    Gave me 2 injections, one in hum and one in roof of mouth behind tooth.
    When he was pulling it, i only felt tugging/pressure. No pain. Very little bleeding. Stopped after a couple of minutes chomping diwn on a lump of cortonwool.

Dont spit/ suck after for a few hours to let it clot. Saves suffering from dry socket which can be painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Isn't there a Dental Plan thread here for stuff like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Don't put it off because you don't feel pain now. Why wait until there's actual pain and further damage? You're going to have to get that and maybe more pulled out if you put it off now.

The numbing is great. You don't feel pain. You feel pressure from the dentist pulling but that's all. I had one pulled 2 weeks ago. Took a couple of painkillers after it and I was grand.

Bit of advice for you that I'm sure the dentist will tell you: have patience after it's pulled. Let it heal without disturbing the area in your mouth. A blood clot has to form so you need to relax and take it easy for the first day or two.

First time I got a tooth pulled I didn't let it heal properly and the blood clot didn't form, leaving the site exposed and open which can be very painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Tell your dentist that you're nervous, they try harder to put you at ease when they know you're scared! I had a tooth pulled last year and to say I was nervous would be a serious understatement. Almost fainted before I even got into the chair. Honestly though, the anticipation was much worse than anything else - all I felt was a little pressure, which wasn't pleasant but also not painful. It took way less time than I imagined too. You'll have to take it easy for a few days after be sure not to eat anything that could get stuck in the gap where the tooth was so as to avoid dry socket, and that was the most annoying part for me. Honestly though, it's not going to be half as bad as you think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

My dentist says i need to get a tooth pulled as one tooth has decay and is growing in toward another tooth. Which could potentially damage two teeth if it isn't extracted. I'm sh*tting is because ive never had a tooth pulled and well i love my teeth and don't want any pliers like implements in my mouth. It's not causing me any trouble at the moment which is why i want to leave it.
    I know the dentist is the professional here but i cant bare the thought of getting a tooth pulled.

Can anyone offer some advice, I don't know whether to go ahead with it or not. And does it hurt getting one pulled?

I had a tooth pulled 12 years ago, and there was nothing to it. It feels a bit weird for a few weeks.. just dont eat until the anesthetic wears off.

Also, find out if you can have Twilight Sleep for the procedure.

Do dentists still administer twilight sleep anymore, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Pulling the tooth out is painless its the injections in the gums i cant handle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Pulling the tooth out is painless its the injections in the gums i cant handle

Agreed, honestly the injection is the only bit I hate, I've had a few teeth out and genuinely find it less painful than a filling. All you'll feel is a tugging sensation and the pain after is ok once you have some decent painkillers on hand!

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Jussnot Fairmann

what time is the appointment, 2:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

No does not hurt you will be num..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

No does not hurt you will be num..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I hated the feeling of the tooth being yanked even though you don't feel any pain. Albeit this was years ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

My dentist says i need to get a tooth pulled as one tooth has decay and is growing in toward another tooth. Which could potentially damage two teeth if it isn't extracted. I'm sh*tting is because ive never had a tooth pulled and well i love my teeth and don't want any pliers like implements in my mouth. It's not causing me any trouble at the moment which is why i want to leave it.
    I know the dentist is the professional here but i cant bare the thought of getting a tooth pulled.

Can anyone offer some advice, I don't know whether to go ahead with it or not. And does it hurt getting one pulled?

It's nothing. I had a wisdom tooth extracted in Amsterdam by a German doctor (is it safe? ...no seriously)....it was a breeze. I had heard horror stories of wisdom tooth extractions, dentist's boot on your forehead, and tugging with both hands on a monkey wrench clamped onto your jaw. It's all nonsense. After examining my x-rays, he gave me a few injections, then his beautiful smiling assistant placed her hand on my forehead and put the suction thingy in my gob. Then the dentist put this little device around the tooth and said "ok you will feel a little pressure now, don't worry". I felt a little squeek and a crunch and he said "There. Would you like to see ze toose?" I said "Are we done?" "Ja, of course!", said he.
    Assistant then vaccuumed out a little bit of blood, dentist put in one little dissolvable stitch and it was done. I've had more discomfort picking off a scab or plucking a crusty bogey from my nose. I went straight from the clinic to the pub and had a few beers and then went home. When the anaestethic wore off there was a minor throb that a paracetemol took care of.

Piece of urine.

Advertisement