Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Health Insurance recommended for child with scoliosis

Options
  • 06-10-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with health insurance policies and child with scoliosis.
    My child is just over 3 yrs old and is being referred to Crumlin for scoliosis review/treatment after an x-ray scan.
    I have been reading different insurance companies and treatment options for scoliosis and am unable to get a clear picture as to what is covered and what is not (i.e. are braces covered, is surgery covered, etc).
    We currently have VHI cover with one plan family for kids.

Any experiences/recommendation welcome.

Thanks,
    SoonToBeGlue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i dont know but once your aware that there is an exclusion period for any existiing conditions with all insurers so moving insurer will not instantly provide you with any additional cover for your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Soon To Be Glue

Thanks D3PO. Really just looking at what options are available from insurance companies as I would expect the treatment of scoliosis to require frequent visits to consultants, possibly purchasing of braces and other unknown/unexpected issues that arise as a result of scoiosis.
    Because there is so many unknowns, I am just wishing for feedback in those in similar positions who have found insurance x or y helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hi soon to be glue
    I have some experience of the health insurance service in Ireland.

Once your child is seen in this clinic you will have a better idea of what type of services/scans ect your child may need. You may find that the consultants dealing with your child's condition are only in the public service.
    If you decided to use your health insurance to attend as a private patient you need to be aware of the following.

In regards to scans - ask the doctor/consultant for the type of scan & where they want you to go for this. There are several types of scan and these can be done in a public hospital/private hospital or in several scan centres in Ireland.
    Some of these are covered for full payment directly with the health insurance companies once you have a letter stating the need for this scan from a consultant. If you contact the health insurance company they can let you know where these are covered in full. If you go to a place on not on the approved list they may pay only part of the cost and it could be subject to the access you have on a family policy.

If your child need any day case or needs to stay in hospital over night for any operation ask the consultant for the vhi procedure number. All procedures have a number so if you ring your health insurance company with this number, the name of the consultant and the hospital it is been done in your health insurance company can inform you of what cover you have.

Once you attend a hospital most of them will ask if your child is a public or private patient. They will then send your bill directly to the vhi once you child is finished that visit in hospital.
    In some cases you may need to make a claim for ie doctor or consultant visits at the end of each year of you policy.
    I would also advise you to photo copy all receipts before sending them to the vhi for payment. If the cost it not paid in full by the vhi you may be able to claim further money back using the med 2 from from the revenue website.

If it is the case that your child is going to be treated as a public patient I would have a look at the following as it explains what changes you have to pay as a public patient
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/hospital_services/hospital_charges.html.

I hope the above is of some help to you.

Advertisement