Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is have taken 7 points from 4 games if you offered it too me a few weeks back when you consider our 3 biggest rivals were part of that 4 game run

The signs are very good, a long way to go but many positives can be taken from recent games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wouldn't say the signs are very good at all. Yes we won yesterday but if Arsenal weren't so crap we could have gone in at half time 3-0 down.

Good win, but it shouldn't gloss over the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The thing I liked yesterday was seeing the likes of McNair and Blackett being vocal in the defence. Good to see the young lads not hiding and hoping someone else will take responsibility of organising the line.

It's been an odd season so far with us dropping more points against teams we would have thought we should beat, and then going on to play well against the big teams. Hopefully we can get a good run going and go into January still in the top 4.

Have to say I'm more optimistic each week, the team do seem to have believe in LVG and what they are working towards.

I wouldn't say the signs are very good at all. Yes we won yesterday but if Arsenal weren't so crap we could have gone in at half time 3-0 down.

There is a long way to go but look at it this way.

Against Chelsea at home, and away to Man City and Arsenal. The combined score is 3-3.
    Last season for the same fixtures it was 1-4. 2 draws, 1 loss.
    Fergie's last season the results for those exact fixtures was 4-4, again 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss.

We got the same number of points from those exact same games as 2 seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

De Gea is the difference this year between 4th spot and 14th spot.

He has been immense last and this season in fairness, more note worthy considering the back lines that are put in front of him.

The media destroyed him with every mistake his first season - Joe Hart did similar stuff and no attention on him.

He has come on leaps and bounds, but never gets rave reviews from the media in England, but I bet if he was English his face wouldn't leave the back pages.

We need to keep him here as long as possible because the way he's playing its inevitable/matter of time before the big guns from Spain come knocking, and with his girlfriend based in Madrid this is sure to increase the lure home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Not surprised there is little been said about Wilshire,

Compare that to the Fellaini and Aguero incident a few weeks ago,they were showing us slow motion footage of what they called "a spitting incident"

Anyway karma caught up with Wilshire last night he got McNaired

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

That's where our opinions differ, I would say the signs are looking good because of the fact that we are not playing to our potential and still picking up points against our big rivals.

For a team that all the press and most football fans say to be struggling, we've only lost 1 game in our last 7 and that run includes games against Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Everton.

We are a long way off being title contenders but right now we are in the mix for the top 4 even without playing particularly great and dealing with the most injuries in the league at times this year.

I'd say that's something to be positive about. If we can keep pushing and picking up scrappy points until we are back to full strength (or close) and then hopefully start getting a few more dominant wins.

Chris Smalling had his best game of the season IMO, suprised its not been mentioned. He made some vital clearances.
    Valencia also had a great game. He dealth with Sanchez and Welbeck and kept them relatively quite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keano25 wrote: »
    De Gea is the difference this year between 4th spot and 14th spot.

He has been immense last and this season in fairness

Slightly both disagree and agree here. DDG was the best of a bad lost last season, but his performances were poor at times, no presence, stuck to his line and multiple times he could have won us points, but he didnt. Contrast this to this season and theres a world of a difference, in fact he looks a completely different keeper.

For me, the most positive thing LVGs coaching staff has done so far is turn this lad into one of the most complete keepers in the world.

Who did Sky give MOM to, i assume it was DDG?

I'm not saying he shouldn't have got the red, I already said that in today's game it is a sending off offence. I just don't think it should be a red regardless of the player, it would have gone down as violent conduct when it clearly wasn't.

I'm still struggling to understand why you think this wasn't violent conduct. If wilshere was a taller where would his head have been? Mike Dean made a balls of the decision and he was standing right in front of it. It was a red card for violent conduct imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

keano25 wrote: »
    Can they not? I was under the impression that if the red takes no action on the field I.e. A yellow or red the FA can take action?

Or is it something about the refs match report it depends on?

They can only intervene if the ref doesn't see it. There have been some exceptions to that of course, but this would not be one of those situations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm still struggling to understand why you think this wasn't violent conduct. If wilshere was a taller where would his head have been? Mike Dean made a balls of the decision and he was standing right in front of it. It was a red card for violent conduct imo

Agreed here.

You can't walk up to another player and jam your forehead into their face in an aggressive manner. Had Fel dived to the floor, Dean would have sent him off, but I think cause Fel basically no sold it, Dean just decided he'd ignore it than have people complaining about "killing the game" or being a "United symapthiser"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Well done Utd.

Disgusted at such a poor collective effort from Arsenal.

You can get behind nearly everything as a supporter but such weakness makes it hard.

De Gea was great and huge credit to Fellaini for handling Wilshire in the appropriate 'what the fcuk is this little guy's problem manner'

Best of luck till the return fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sometimes you deserve and make your own luck and we deserved the 3 points yesterday.

First half we were poor but lot of nerves there tbf and what pleased me throughout the 2nd half is we kept our shape and that was great to see.

Di Maria at full belt is joy to watch but the 3 standout performances were DDG, Fellaini and Rooney.(most people here seem agree)

I also thought Carrick had good game without been terrific but his positioning was super.

I'm just thrilled for Fellaini. He looked quality yesterday. His passing and sharpness are right up with what we need. Was good at back and up front.

A huge confidence boosting 3 points. The table looks that bit better this morning. If we can get 6 points from next 2 games we be in good shape before another 2 tough games after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

You got to feel sorry for arsenal yesterday, but you have to laugh as well. A tony v special done them yesterday. Who would have though his smashing balls off people's shins would work :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

M!Ck^ wrote: »

It wasn't violent. Zidane on Materazzi was a violent headbutt in the chest, this wasn't. Fellaini's reaction was commendable and that says a lot about the way the game is today, that a lad didn't hit the ground and writhe around like he was clattered with a shovel after what was little more than a nudge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It wasn't violent. Zidane on Materazzi was a violent headbutt in the chest, this wasn't. Fellaini's reaction was commendable and that says a lot about the way the game is today, that a lad didn't hit the ground and writhe around like he was clattered with a shovel after what was little more than a nudge.

Wilshere should have been sent off for it.Fair play to Fellaini but that doesn't excuse the ref for not doing his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

Any idea of who will be back for the Hull game next week?

I'm not debating that. Fair play to fellani for not play acting but I just completely disagree with your opinion that it wasn't violent. When you use your head like he did regardless of it being a full on head butt or squaring up to someone with your forehead etc it brings about violence whatever the situation. If someone done that to you in public the only way you would feel would be intimidated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

yabadabado wrote: »
    Wilshere should have been sent off for it.Fair play to Fellaini but that doesn't excuse the ref for not doing his job.

Yeah, I've said that at least twice already, it's just a personal opinion, I don't think it should be classed as violent or warrant a sending off but by the rules of the game it is and does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Going by this list on Physio Room,none of the injured players will be back

L Shaw Ankle/Foot Injury no return date
    D Blind MCL Knee Ligament Injury no return date
    M Rojo Dislocated Shoulder 14th Dec 14
    Rafael Groin/Pelvis Injury 8th Dec 14
    P Jones Calf/Shin Injury 8th Dec 14
    R Falcao Calf/Shin Injury 8th Dec 14
    J Evans Ankle/Foot Injury 2nd Dec 14
    J Lingard Knee Injury 8th Dec 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Slightly both disagree and agree here. DDG was the best of a bad lost last season, but his performances were poor at times, no presence, stuck to his line and multiple times he could have won us points, but he didnt. Contrast this to this season and theres a world of a difference, in fact he looks a completely different keeper.

That's what I ment when I touched on the defence in front of him.

How can he have consistently good performances when the back 4 are so poor?

I mean if you don't know what your back four are going to do it's going to make you do silly things.

For example only yesterday for their goal McNair went-stopped-went again. Now I know he's young, but we teach our under 6's to play to the whistle. He shouldn't of left Giroud in, simple as.

Now don't get me wrong McNair will go from strength to strength but that's what De Gea is standing behind at the moment.

Going by this list on Physio Room,none of the injured players will be back

L Shaw Ankle/Foot Injury no return date
    D Blind MCL Knee Ligament Injury no return date
    M Rojo Dislocated Shoulder 14th Dec 14
    Rafael Groin/Pelvis Injury 8th Dec 14
    P Jones Calf/Shin Injury 8th Dec 14
    R Falcao Calf/Shin Injury 8th Dec 14
    J Evans Ankle/Foot Injury 2nd Dec 14
    J Lingard Knee Injury 8th Dec 14

This is depressing...
    Shaws injury yesterday looked so painful.
    I see the crazy figure floating around today's articles that we have had 40 injury's since lvg took charge. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sure just go with same 11 again, with Young for Shaw

Probably RVP keeps his place cos it's a home game and I expect United will get a good few chances.
    He is a pretty good finisher in fairness, equalizer v Chelsea, 2 goals v Latvia midweek etc.

Not as keen on that formation for the likes of Hull at home, find we struggle to create and Hull are a totally different proposition to Arsenal, strangely I am more worried about that game then I was about this!

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Not as keen on that formation for the likes of Hull at home, find we struggle to create and Hull are a totally different proposition to Arsenal, strangely I am more worried about that game then I was about this!

Agree. 4-4-2 ala QPR game would suit better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Young deserves a mention, he was brilliant yesterday.

Young deserves a mention, he was brilliant yesterday.

Handy squad player to have alright, seems to be buying in to Van Gaals methods and willing to play wherever he is asked. Good to see

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

People still say Young is not a United player.

Well his injuries prove them wrong :p

Rumours....
    A deal for Miranda could be agreed at £20 million.
    Everton want £25 million for Coleman, United and Chelsea interested in getting him.
    Martin Odegaard the 15 year old Norwegian might be ready to move to United.

All probably BS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

After shaw went off yesterday, only 1 player wasn't at the club last year.
    Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Any updates on Shaw?

He was just getting into his stride too. We have rotten luck this season.

He played on for a bit so it can't be that bad or worse he could have done more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭blackwave

Quick question for you guys I am looking to go the Spurs match in March but when I had a look at the premier league website it had it pencilled in at 15.00 along with all other match for that weekend. Just wondering if anyone had an idea when they will announce the times for the next round of fixtures??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

God I'm in such a good mood. This weekend has been great.

I have a load if ironing to do today actually.

This weekend gets even better 5 points ahead of Liverpool now ;)

This weekend gets even better 5 points ahead of Liverpool now ;)

Liverpool haven't been rivals in a few years. I would be more concerned with man city and Chelsea in the long run. This season would have probably seen them be our rivals but without saurez they don't have much.

Although after the stick they have man United last year and their confidence this year it's nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This weekend...

swanson-dance.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Liverpool fans calling us a mid table club at the start of the season. Now Liverpool are in the bottom half and we're at 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I remember some Arsenal or Liverpool fans saying how ManUtd could have improved defense by signing Lovern and how it was ignored, well at least 20 million saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Lads if we don't get into the top 4 considering how putrid the other "candidates" are it will be incredible.

We should be looking at 6 points from the next 2 games and hopefully we will have a few defenders back by that stage.

The future is looking a little bit brighter for us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think we will come 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Really like Jedinak at Palace, great leader and a tidy player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If our Champons League rivals were as bad this time last season Moyes might still be at OT :o

Liverpool haven't been rivals in a few years. I would be more concerned with man city and Chelsea in the long run. This season would have probably seen them be our rivals but without saurez they don't have much.

Although after the stick they have man United last year and their confidence this year it's nice.

Liverpool havent been rivals in a few years? They finished ahead of us last season? Hopefully now Tottenham or Southampton will drop points too.

Liverpool havent been rivals in a few years? They finished ahead of us last season? Hopefully now Tottenham or Southampton will drop points too.

Aside from 1 season. I think you know what I meant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

beno619 wrote: »
    Really like Jedinak at Palace, great leader and a tidy player.

Probably be slaughtered for suggesting it, but I wouldn't mind him as a squad player at the very least. Always impresses for Palace when they're on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So apparently Rodgers is useless and needs to be sacked ASAP now (without any thought as to who they could realistically get in in his place). Funny how that compares to the hype going on in April. :pac;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Billy86 wrote: »
    So apparently Rodgers is useless and needs to be sacked ASAP now (without any thought as to who they could realistically get in in his place). Funny how that compares to the hype going on in April. :pac;

In fairness there has been some hysterics in every superthread on here after a bad result. All fans are fickle and emotional! A couple of the lads on here have called for LVG to be sacked at one stage this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Kharrell wrote:
    Probably be slaughtered for suggesting it, but I wouldn't mind him as a squad player at the very least. Always impresses for Palace when they're on TV.

I'd agree, its a shame he was a late bloomer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement