Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Also against Arsenal i can't believe people can complain really. We were away to a very talented side with loads of attacking options. Our defence was two wingers, two reserve players and Smalling.

We set up to soak up pressure and catch them on the counter. While they dominated they didn't create much many clear chances.

We caught them on the counter for the second goal and Di Maria should have made it 3-0.

I don't care how it happened but to get an away victory against out main rivals for 3rd was massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

beno619 wrote: »
    This may be true but his biggest issue imo isnt the lack of goals its the fact that he's not contributing anything, in fact play usually breaks up after he receives the ball.

Thats why we keep hearing "Falcao/Wilson did more in 15mins that RVP" etc.

I disagree with he is not contributing anything i just don't think he is getting enough service.

I was over at the Chelsea game he was making great runs off the ball but we couldn't find him. He dropped deep and took it on the chest and sprayed balls out for the full backs a few times for the few chances we created.

His finishing i would question at the moment but not his all around play. I would worry about the fact he looks so isolated up front.

Also this Wilson thing annoys me what has he done. He has great pace and has made a few good runs into the corner against tired defenders. Yes he looks lethal underage but his performances are being overhyped because he is young.

If RVP is to be dropped it should be for Rooney with Mata coming in to the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

killwill wrote: »
    He wasn't fit for the last month.
    He started a game wearing a protective support around his chest.
    He was taken off at halftime and I believe didnt feature in a game since.

His last start was against West Brom on the 20th October, which is indeed a month ago.

Since then he has been an unused substitute for our last four games. Sometimes an unfit player will be on the bench for emergencies, but not for four games in a row. He cannot have the excuse of being injured, he has been available for selection for a month, LVG just isn't picking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

LVG was clever when he came in, looked at the players and declared Young is a defender, and in fairness to Ashley Young, you wouldn't sell him at the moment as he has something to offer when needed.

Any fan complaining about Young at this moment in time is just being silly in my opinion.

My favourite moment on Saturday when Valencia did his usual hitting a ball at a defender and actually causing an own goal.
    Normally we have to complain about him doing that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

His last start was against West Brom on the 20th October, which is indeed a month ago.

Since then he has been an unused substitute for our last four games. Sometimes an unfit player will be on the bench for emergencies, but not for four games in a row. He cannot have the excuse of being injured, he has been available for selection for a month, LVG just isn't picking him.

I didnt realise he was on the bench for the last 4 games. Obviously out of favour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I didnt realise he was on the bench for the last 4 games. Obviously out of favour!

He was rushed back, and was wearing protective padding. It is possible that he could be ABLE to play at the moment, if we really need him too but that it would be better to rest him so that his broken rib fully heals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

It hasn't been a bad few weeks. We got a draw with Chelsea, we might well have got something at City but for Smalling getting red carded and we go to the Emirates and win. We have 2 home games we should be able to use to build in preparation for the trip to Southampton then the biggest home of the season against the Pool. We rode our luck a bit Saturday but the win should give the young lads confidance and another couple of wins and we are in a good place.

Blatter wrote: »
    Unless they've changed the rules recently, no action will be taken against Wilshere because the ref saw the incident and 'dealt' with it by talking to both players.

Fair enough. I thought that once there wasn't a card issued or a free kick/penalty awarded then there could be something done about it. I didn't know "Here, cut it out you bastards" was considered 'dealt with'. Thanks for clearing that up Blatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

He was rushed back, and was wearing protective padding. It is possible that he could be ABLE to play at the moment, if we really need him too but that it would be better to rest him so that his broken rib fully heals.

Personally I was shocked when he started so soon after the rib injury and was not at all surprised when he went off at half time in that game. Shows how bad for numbers we were at the time. Looking at www.physioroom.com and its great to see United are now down to third position in that league with 8 players injured. long may that fall continue when only two weeks ago the club were outright leaders with 12/13 players.

I see the earliest defender back is Evans with a 2nd December date. thankfully the next two games are at home. Although how accurate that is I dunno, supposedly Falcao tweeted he is back in training and 'raring to go' or something like that and his return date is set at 8th December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Are neither of Uniteds next 2 home games live on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Im really not sure if you are being sarcastic or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

PaddyCar wrote: »

No looks like the foreign TV stations have the broadcasting rights for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it. Setanta are showing Liverpool on Saturday.

kstand wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it. Setanta are showing Liverpool on Saturday.

Might as well be Comedy Central!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Im really not sure if you are being sarcastic or not?

HAHA. No I was serious.

madcabbage wrote: »
    Might as well be Comedy Central!

Of the Liverpool and man United jokes, this is the worst one of all. It's just above where some Lad puts a team DVD in the comedy section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I disagree with he is not contributing anything i just don't think he is getting enough service.

I was over at the Chelsea game he was making great runs off the ball but we couldn't find him. He dropped deep and took it on the chest and sprayed balls out for the full backs a few times for the few chances we created.

His finishing i would question at the moment but not his all around play. I would worry about the fact he looks so isolated up front.

Also this Wilson thing annoys me what has he done. He has great pace and has made a few good runs into the corner against tired defenders. Yes he looks lethal underage but his performances are being overhyped because he is young.

If RVP is to be dropped it should be for Rooney with Mata coming in to the side.

Ahh he was pretty awful against Arsenal, Chelsea was probably one of his better recent performances.

I only think Wilson is getting praise because of how poor RVP has been, Wilson has at least been able to take a decent touch, drop the shoulder and pick out a 5 yard pass. Id agree Rooney and Mata should be ahead of both.

Nobody is over hyping him they just see his getting basics right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Also against Arsenal i can't believe people can complain really. We were away to a very talented side with loads of attacking options. Our defence was two wingers, two reserve players and Smalling.

We set up to soak up pressure and catch them on the counter. While they dominated they didn't create much many clear chances.

We caught them on the counter for the second goal and Di Maria should have made it 3-0.

I don't care how it happened but to get an away victory against out main rivals for 3rd was massive.

While I'm also delighted with the 3 points, the 4th place, the beating of a rival and I agree with the majority of your post the part in bold sticks out.

We could and should have been at least two goals down in the first 20 mins and looking at a totally different scenario for the next 70 mins.

Wilshere missed a sitter or two, Welbeck should have had one only for he scuffed a shot off McNair.

It wasn't down to us soaking up the pressure well in the opening exchanges, tbh we were a mess at the back but we got a slice of luck or two and then grew into the game.

Yes it was a makeshift defense but still I would of expected better defensive cover and awareness from the entire team, especially the MF.

LVG is worrying me a little, we switched to a three CB formation for Saturday and lots of players looked confused. In other games with a normal two CB & FB defense they have also looked a little puzzled at times. Maybe its mainly down to the inexperience of our defense but that stops there and its no excuse for the entire team struggling with a system as we have seen at other times. We haven't gel'ed properly yet and LVGs tactics haven't clicked into place yet so I'm worried about is it that complex a system, or is it his inability to impose it, or is it the wrong style for the EPL?

We looked shaky, slow out of the box, reliant on luck and not very free flowing a few times too many this season just like Saturday.

Hopefully an experienced CB pair and a RB will steady us from January until the season closes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RVP had just 13 touches of the ball against Arsenal and 3 or those were corners.

23746D2600000578-2847147-Robin_van_Persie_s_touch_map_is_grim_viewing-2_1416827829025.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Someone said it in the match thread, apparantly RVP had two completed passes in the game and one was from a kick off. If that's true then he needs to be dropped, and as much as I admire what LVG has done so far with the injuries the team has suffered its simply not acceptable for a player to have as poor as stats as that and still be included as a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Someone said it in the match thread, apparantly RVP had two completed passes in the game and one was from a kick off. If that's true then he needs to be dropped, and as much as I admire what LVG has done so far with the injuries the team has suffered its simply not acceptable for a player to have as poor as stats as that and still be included as a starter.

That's shocking, I also heard that De Gea had more touches of the ball than Rooney which shows just how poor we were.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I wasn't able to watch the full game, so I don't want to comment on RVP specifically.

However, if you watched the game - how would you answer the following questions?

1. Did RVP make intelligent runs when we had the ball?
    2. Did RVP lose the ball cheaply when he had the ball?
    3. Did he miss-place passes poorly?

It could be RVP was rubbish - but based on the formation and stats of the game, as well as the bits I did see, I would also assume that he was quite isolated and outnumbered for much of the game. our stats can be crap without having done anything wrong youself in a game you find yourself isolated in. His lack of touches could be down to United being unable to get the ball in to him rather than a disinterest on his part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I wasn't able to watch the full game, so I don't want to comment on RVP specifically.

However, if you watched the game - how would you answer the following questions?

1. Did RVP make intelligent runs when we had the ball?
    2. Did RVP lose the ball cheaply when he had the ball?
    3. Did he miss-place passes poorly?

It could be RVP was rubbish - but based on the formation and stats of the game, as well as the bits I did see, I would also assume that he was quite isolated and outnumbered for much of the game. our stats can be crap without having done anything wrong youself in a game you find yourself isolated in. His lack of touches could be down to United being unable to get the ball in to him rather than a disinterest on his part.

I think Gary Neville did a piece a few weeks ago to highlight this.

I would say yes RVP was isolated. I thought we lost the ball cheaply all over the pitch especially the first half. There wasn't a lot for RVP to get on the end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

Hope Herrera is fit for the game the weekend, miss watching his little one twos, don't want to rush him back though, also hope RVP is dropped and Rooney goes up top with Mata in behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

RVP needs to go in the summer. I thought with LVG coming in he would play out of his skin but he's getting on a bit now and it might be the last time United could get a few quid for him....

United's defense is a shambles. Johnny Evans is a complete liability - I would rather Man Utd play with 10 men on the pitch than have Evans on the field. He is more of a hazard than a help. He might be a lovely guy to have a drink with down the pub but he's not a footballer in any way, shape or form by any stretch of the imagination. Ferguson let Pique go so that he could accommodate this Championship level stuff?! Pathetic. Evans shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a United jersey. Everytime the ball comes to him he physically looks like he's going to sh!t himself. Not comfortable at all on the ball. An absolute impostor stealing a living....I wouldn't send him for a bag of chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think Gary Neville did a piece a few weeks ago to highlight this.

I would say yes RVP was isolated. I thought we lost the ball cheaply all over the pitch especially the first half. There wasn't a lot for RVP to get on the end of.

After the City game Neville showed a few clips of RVP making some great runs but the player on the ball wouldnt play it to him and went with the safer option.

Found it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dayum wrote: »
    RVP needs to go in the summer. I thought with LVG coming in he would play out of his skin but he's getting on a bit now and it might be the last time United could get a few quid for him....

United's defense is a shambles. Johnny Evans is a complete liability - I would rather Man Utd play with 10 men on the pitch than have Evans on the field. He is more of a hazard than a help. He might be a lovely guy to have a drink with down the pub but he's not a footballer in any way, shape or form by any stretch of the imagination. Ferguson let Pique go so that he could accommodate this Championship level stuff?! Pathetic. Evans shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a United jersey. Everytime the ball comes to him he physically looks like he's going to sh!t himself. Not comfortable at all on the ball. An absolute impostor stealing a living....I wouldn't send him for a bag of chips.

So.....you think Evans shouldnt go back into the team when recovered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's shocking, I also heard that De Gea had more touches of the ball than Rooney which shows just how poor we were.

Do you have any reason to think the GK touching the ball more than a forward/striker is very unusual?

I don't know the answer myself but it doesn't seem very unlikely/unimaginable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

So.....you think Evans shouldnt go back into the team when recovered?

I don't see a reason why when he'd fit in so nicely at Rotherham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Dayum wrote: »

You must have been holding that one in for while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You have to laugh. Evans who has been injured for most of the season so far....

Ah sure I dont even know why I`m getting sucked in.

This thread gets to the stage where I don't know if people are being serious or sarcastic.

Surely people can't be so narrow minded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sarcasm is very difficult to achieve over the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That Gary Neville analysis is laughable. Every striker makes those runs, you can't expect that to be made count every single time. It's a shame that he blamed Blind for not playing Pirloesque/Scholesque passes. Every single striker makes those runs, it's clear that RVP lost any pace he had, not as good as he used to be in holding up the ball or make meaningful contribution to the team.

Problem is so obvious but Gary Neville wants to look elsewhere to blame to make it sound interesting.

He supported his argument saying no one spotted his runs, in the same way we can say RVP is not quick enough to get at the end of through balls as he lacks pace or he doesn't even attack the aerial ball. He backs off and relies on defender missing it rather than challenging defender in the box.

Sarcasm is very difficult to achieve over the internet

Yeah, sure it is. It's out of favour though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That Gary Neville analysis is laughable. Every striker makes those runs, you can't expect that to be made count every single time. It's a shame that he blamed Blind for not playing Pirloesque/Scholesque passes. Every single striker makes those runs, it's clear that RVP lost any pace he had, not as good as he used to be in holding up the ball or make meaningful contribution to the team.

Problem is so obvious but Gary Neville wants to look elsewhere to blame to make it sound interesting.

He supported his argument saying no one spotted his runs, in the same way we can say RVP is not quick enough to get at the end of through balls as he lacks pace or he doesn't even attack the aerial ball. He backs off and relies on defender missing it rather than challenging defender in the box.

He isn't getting on the end of these intelligent through balls because the intelligent through balls aren't being played. 90% (statistic not verified) of our passes in the final third are usually to or behind players. Especially down the right with players like Valencia supplying the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Yeah, sure it is. It's out of favour though.

Can we make a mod request for a sarcasm font. Its really confusing me too atm. I'm not sure if half the posters here are satirical geniuses or actually footballingly retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Can we make a mod request for a sarcasm font. Its really confusing me too atm. I'm not sure if half the posters here are satirical geniuses or actually footballingly retarded.

I think it may be the latter but I`m not sure if I`m being sarcastic or not.

He isn't getting on the end of these intelligent through balls because the intelligent through balls aren't being played. 90% (statistic not verified) of our passes in the final third are usually to or behind players. Especially down the right with players like Valencia supplying the attack.

I think Herrera could make a difference there, if he could get into the team. Think he had the second highest amount of through balls played in La Liga last season. You could see it in the games he did play for us too - was looking for runners rather than people showing for it short.

Mata has disappointed me in the games he has played in this respect too.

There hasn't been enough speed and variation to our forward play in this season - the Palace game being a particular irritation on this point for me.

One of the reasons I am annoyed Welbeck was sold ties in to this; none of Rooney, Falcao or RVP are going to stretch a defence with their pace. Welbeck did offer that something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

One positive from the last week is that it may be that time of the year for a Rooney purple patch. Somebody scoring regularly up front could take the pressure off a bit and let the team grow into LVG's systems. Matches may not feel as scrappy as they do now.

• Advertisement

I think Herrera could make a difference there, if he could get into the team. Think he had the second highest amount of through balls played in La Liga last season. You could see it in the games he did play for us too - was looking for runners rather than people showing for it short.

Mata has disappointed me in the games he has played in this respect too.

There hasn't been enough speed and variation to our forward play in this season - the Palace game being a particular irritation on this point for me.

One of the reasons I am annoyed Welbeck was sold ties in to this; none of Rooney, Falcao or RVP are going to stretch a defence with their pace. Welbeck did offer that something different.

I would agree expect Rooney / Di Maria got the goals on the counter with pace against Arsenal as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I would agree expect Rooney / Di Maria got the goals on the counter with pace against Arsenal as an example.

Arsenal came at us in a big way and left gaps. When teams sit back and defend deep, a player that plays on the shoulder gives you another option past getting it wide and crossing. A quick 5 yard run and a slipped through ball can open a match like that out.

Arsenal came at us in a big way and left gaps. When teams sit back and defend deep, a player that plays on the shoulder gives you another option past getting it wide and crossing. A quick 5 yard run and a slipped through ball can open a match like that out.

Sorry, maybe my point wasn't very clear but I think when Rooney puts the boot down he still has an incredible injection of pace.
    I know what he's getting at though, Welbeck was a different outlet and gave additional dynamic to the attack but Rooney still has the ability to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

hate the frequent use of that word - just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

adox wrote: »
    I think it may be the latter but I`m not sure if I`m being sarcastic or not.

Any word on Luke Shaws injury? Injury reports are stating 'no return' date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Probably needs a scan or something, might need any swelling to go down first. I'm sure there'll be some news soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rip Luke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It looked like a probable tear of his ankle ligaments. Could be anywhere between a few weeks and a few months out depending on how bad the tear was.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    It looked like a probable tear of his ankle ligaments. Could be anywhere between a few weeks and a few months out depending on how bad the tear was.

dfefda53e5d7f4f16bd5016a7424d86b9416c5ab44cabf7a8205ee3b7314cc76.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement