Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the club is in talks with Belgian club Gent to loan out our South American players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Doesn't anybody remember Nani taking corners or putting in crosses?
    9 times out of ten it meets the first defender.

I think it's a bit of over excitement here because he's found a purple patch in the CL.

Comments like this just shows that people weren't really watching him. He was the most consistent crosser at the club since Beckham. At least once or twice a game he puts a dangerous cross in. Given he has a 1 in 3-4 goals record when played consistently it makes him a very dangerous player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

zerks wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but the club is in talks with Belgian club Gent to loan out our South American players.

Is it not more so to entice more south americans to join us and go on loan there for a year or 2 as they get a work permit easier in Belgium than in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Agh Nani,
    not even at the club but getting pages and pages of abuse
    is it not Danny's turn for not scoring
    or Andow/Anderson/Fabregasinhisarsepockets turn after that for being fat...

move on folks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

But who would people bitch about if we just "moved on" from players?

On slow news days you can expect plenty of this ****, I blame David Moyes and last years squad for us having **** all else to do midweek

Would you care to blame, Nani? Just for example of course, or maybe.....Fellaini? Cleverley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I see the Sneijder rumours have started early this year - BBC gossip page.

Liam O wrote: »
    Comments like this just shows that people weren't really watching him. He was the most consistent crosser at the club since Beckham. At least once or twice a game he puts a dangerous cross in. Given he has a 1 in 3-4 goals record when played consistently it makes him a very dangerous player.

Can you back up your 'facts' with any sort of stats? How about the amount of assists?
    Your opinion that an accurate cross once or twice is good enough?
    Considering the amount of times he attempts to put in crosses in any given match which is well into double figures. This for me is not consistent. Again 9 times out of ten it will meet the first defender.
    You're essentially doing the exact same as I am, giving an opinion on a player who has been at the club for 6+ years.

kstand wrote: »
    I see the Sneijder rumours have started early this year - BBC gossip page.

It just wouldn't be life without a link to Sneijder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bayern have confirmed Shaqiri can leave in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Is it not more so to entice more south americans to join us and go on loan there for a year or 2 as they get a work permit easier in Belgium than in England.

In Belgium it takes 2 years and in England it takes 3??

Learnt that off football manager.

• Advertisement

Can you back up your 'facts' with any sort of stats? How about the amount of assists?
    Your opinion that an accurate cross once or twice is good enough?
    Considering the amount of times he attempts to put in crosses in any given match which is well into double figures. This for me is not consistent. Again 9 times out of ten it will meet the first defender.
    You're essentially doing the exact same as I am, giving an opinion on a player who has been at the club for 6+ years.

You've been in this thread long enough to have seen Nani's assist stats. I've kept them out of this conversation because of it. Just look at Rooney's best moments from 10/11 and 11/12. One player features heavily in them. The over 30 assists he got in those 2 seasons were vital to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nani is very good and underrated

but

Nani is inconsistent and needs a run of games

and

LVG either knows he needs a run of games or doesn't rate him

Its not really a debate in my opinion, I think most United fans would agree with the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Defensively Nani Is about as effective as four blades of grass. When we don't have the ball it's like being a man down. He definitely signed up to the berbatov school of no work rate. He generally he comes to the fore against the poorer teams when we are already winning. This is why Valencia gets picked for the big games and games where we won't always have the ball. Valencia's work rate is phenomenal. This explains why he was kept and nani was shown the door.
    It's a pity because he had great ability and could have been a top player for us. I always felt that he should have been played further forward.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Valencia's work rate is phenomenal.

Valencia's sh1tness is also phenomenal. For a player that has gotten so much game time over the last 3 years he has gone backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I love his attitude and work rate too but every other aspect of him as a footballer is incredibly limited.

zerks wrote: »
    Bayern have confirmed Shaqiri can leave in January.

Someone mentioned it in the Liverpool thread not too long ago, apparently available for around 20 mil, I hope we take an interest anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Defensively Nani Is about as effective as four blades of grass. When we don't have the ball it's like being a man down. He definitely signed up to the berbatov school of no work rate. He generally he comes to the fore against the poorer teams when we are already winning. This is why Valencia gets picked for the big games and games where we won't always have the ball. Valencia's work rate is phenomenal. This explains why he was kept and nani was shown the door.
    It's a pity because he had great ability and could have been a top player for us. I always felt that he should have been played further forward.

This is not true. Before his injury and selection woes he scored and assisted against all types of oppisition in all types of game situations.

In Belgium it takes 2 years and in England it takes 3??

Learnt that off football manager.

Is England not 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I suppose the Vidal rumours will kick off again now that the Sneijder talk is back. The return of Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes for the millionth time!

Nani has just as good a workrate as Valencia. Just because Valencia doesn't attack makes no difference. They have similar defensive skill. Nani was/is the perfect winger to have at the club. Capable of playing in a 4-4-2 and a 4-3-3 and producing. What are Bale, Robben, Reus, Ribery and Di Maria like defensively? Why does nobody complain about them? People dislike Nani because of this British attitude that players who make a safe choice 100% of the time that comes off once in 10 times but never looks bad is better than someone who takes more risks, fails 2 or 3 times more but creates twice as many chances. I don't understand it, maybe because people grew up not appreciating the "fancy Dan" players who would get crushed by the hack bruisers you'd see at younger levels in Ireland anyway.

kryogen wrote: »
    Is England not 5?

Yeah I think that was it. They used to show it in days or something awkward.

• Advertisement

Who is better? Berbatov or Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

For the first time in weeks, I'm looking forward to a United game at the weekend rather than dreading it.

Falcao back, in the top 4 and a huge result over Arsenal behind us. Even with the injuries, surely we'll finally push on with two winnable home games coming up.

Hope Van Gaal finally drops Van Persie too. Just not working for him at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

J. Marston wrote: »
    For the first time in weeks, I'm looking forward to a United game at the weekend rather than dreading it.

Falcao back, in the top 4 and a huge result over Arsenal behind us. Even with the injuries, surely we'll finally push on with two winnable home games coming up.

Hope Van Gaal finally drops Van Persie too. Just not working for him at the moment.

Fingers crossed Falcao can stay bloody fit for a run of games and see his ability in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nani frustrates 8 times out of 10 but the other two times can produce pieces of magic that very few others in the league can

Even at his worst he is still better than Januzaj who has been playing too much lately imo, Bring "Nani" home

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

Nani frustrates 8 times out of 10 but the other two times can produce pieces of magic that very few others in the league can

Even at his worst he is still better than Januzaj who has been playing too much lately imo, Bring "Nani" home

I'd rather see Januzaj play more than stint his growth by bringing back Nani, Januzaj is young and still has a lot to learn, he only looked so good last season because the rest were so poor. If Nani was to come back and perform I'd be up for it but not at the cost of Januzaj, I'd still want Januzaj to start against little teams and come on in others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whats inconsistent is people treating Nani differently to every other winger in the world. Di Maria often hits the first defender or loses the ball trying a spectulative pass, guess we should get rid of him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Nani can only do it against the bad teams
    He creates a lot but assists don't matter because he can make poor choices
    He is inconsistent it doesn't matter if he creates
    He doesn't defend as well as a winger who doesn't attack
    He is flying in Portugal and the Champions League because he is against poor sides
    We don't need him because Janjuaz is much better

People need to face reality whether you like Nani or not the fact is at this time he is streets ahead of Valencia and Janjuaz and should be brought back on the right wing to offer some creativity we badly need down the right.

You know how I get my opinion on nani and whether or not he should be loaned etc etc.

By 3 managers. 2 of them having been around the block. 1 of those 2 being the fergie.

Then all the coaching staff who know more about the players and the team than we could forget.

Whether you think he is treated badly or not I'm always going to side with the people who have pages and pages of reports of him when it comes to these decisions. We only see a small bit of the story when it comes to players.

You know how I get my opinion on nani and whether or not he should be loaned etc etc.

By 3 managers. 2 of them having been around the block. 1 of those 2 being the fergie.

Then all the coaching staff who know more about the players and the team than we could forget.

Whether you think he is treated badly or not I'm always going to side with the people who have pages and pages of reports of him when it comes to these decisions. We only see a small bit of the story when it comes to players.

Fergie never loaned him out. And LVG never gave him a chance whatsoever.

So basically you are basing your opinion on David Moyes.

• Advertisement

You stick to giving us injury reports and crap jokes then. Most other posters are going to express and debate opinions on football and footballers.

Fergie never loaned him out. And LVG never gave him a chance whatsoever.

So basically you are basing your opinion on David Moyes.

Decisions to not play him or loan him or whatever.

I would trust David moyes opinion on a player he worked with for 10 months rather than someone in here, sure. He isn't some lad down in the pub with some notions about a player an his theory.

I'm sure David and lvg had been told about all the players when they started and were given advice about players.

They made the choice to not play him, for whatever reason. They haven't had a falling out with him, so it must be an informed reason rather than a reactive reason.

Pro. F wrote: »
    You stick to giving us injury reports and crap jokes then. Most other posters are going to express and debate opinions on football and footballers.

Yeah I did give my opinion. That I trust the people who make the decisions regarding him.

What am I gonna do? Cry about a footballer and think I know better than the people whose job it is to report on him to the manager?

Or will we go just go with the notion that all the staff and managers are clueless and we know it all?

Yeah I did give my opinion. That I trust the people who make the decisions regarding him.

What am I gonna do? Cry about a footballer and think I know better than the people whose job it is to report on him to the manager?

Or will we go just go with the notion that all the staff and managers are clueless and we know it all?

Managers and their staff make incorrect decisions all the time, so there is room for discussion. You don't agree with that which is fair enough, nobody is forcing you to post here. But it begs the question, what are you doing on a football discussion forum? Everybody on here likes expressing opinions on players except for you.

Whats inconsistent is people treating Nani differently to every other winger in the world. Di Maria often hits the first defender or loses the ball trying a spectulative pass, guess we should get rid of him too.

Now we are comparing Nani to Di Maria.....:rolleyes:

I will park it there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Quandary wrote: »
    Valencia's sh1tness is also phenomenal. For a player that has gotten so much game time over the last 3 years he has gone backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I love his attitude and work rate too but every other aspect of him as a footballer is incredibly limited.

Sorry, last Saturday he showed he has learned how to hit the defender with the ball (yes he is an expert at that) but using it to create a goal.
    He is improving :p

• Advertisement

I will park it there

Equating two footballers who play the same position, what is the world coming to!!!

I will park it there

Exactly, a major gulf in class.

I don't know about anyone else but in the break off for the Rooney goal, one couldn't but feel confident with Di Maria having the ball to do the pass for Rooney.
    Just a pity he didn't score his own goal chance.

I don't want Nani back, rather we got more game time for Mata.

I will park it there

You have made yourself look really dumb with that response.

In other news;

Kagawa not playing well/ Inconsistency for BD / Klopp it seems.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/26/former-manchester-united-player-shinji-kagawa-can-play-better-sa/

I don't think he has, put it this way, if we were to sell both players in January, what prices would we get for each and who would be interested in signing each.

• Advertisement

In your Opinion. You should try not to generalise and try and talk for everybody.
    He's trying to compare a player that has a gulf in class between them I don't care if there both wingers. One is World Class one is most certainly not.

Echo RobertKK's point.

Managers and their staff make incorrect decisions all the time, so there is room for discussion. You don't agree with that which is fair enough, nobody is forcing you to post here. But it begs the question, what are you doing on a football discussion forum? Everybody on here likes expressing opinions on players except for you.

Sure they do, but they have access to make informed decisions. This nani thing has been going on for how long now? It's a waste of time. This debate goes around in circles. This isn't a case of why is rvp playing.

3 managers have been through nani. Clearly something more there than opinion.

I'll give my opinion on what I want. I have done so, just not on nani? I'm sorry I wasn't aware I had to give my opinion on a player who barely ever played in the last few years and this being done to death to the point of copy and pasting the replies. I'm just glad cleverley isn't here or you would be upset to find out I don't care about him either.

I couldn't care less about nani. He has barely played, we have moved on, for better or for worse, I trust the managers decision.

Any more digs?

In other news;

Kagawa not playing well/ Inconsistency for BD / Klopp it seems.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/26/former-manchester-united-player-shinji-kagawa-can-play-better-sa/

What a strange last comment in that article "Hopefully he will continue to justify their decision to move him on."
    I think most would wish him the best and not what that comment suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's pretty obvious that Nani would improve the United squad at the moment with it's dearth of useful wingers, and that at his best would he be a major asset.

RobertKK wrote: »
    What a strange last comment in that article "Hopefully he will continue to justify their decision to move him on."
    I think most would wish him the best and not what that comment suggests.

It's an odd one alright, maybe the authors trying to find comfort for the fans in the fact the Kagawa was sold.
    He's also another player like Nani that splits opinion.

Decisions to not play him or loan him or whatever.

I would trust David moyes opinion on a player he worked with for 10 months rather than someone in here, sure. He isn't some lad down in the pub with some notions about a player an his theory.

I'm sure David and lvg had been told about all the players when they started and were given advice about players.

They made the choice to not play him, for whatever reason. They haven't had a falling out with him, so it must be an informed reason rather than a reactive reason.

How would you explain Moyes giving him a 5 year contract?

He's trying to compare a player that has a gulf in class between them I don't care if there both wingers. One is World Class one is most certainly not.

And all you are doing is proving my original post to be correct, you are applying different standards to Nani than you are to other wingers in world football.

I will park it there

While Di Maria is a superior player to Nani they have some similarities alright.

kryogen wrote: »
    How would you explain Moyes giving him a 5 year contract?

Resale value??
    Try give nani confidence to play at his best by trying to convince him he is part of the long term plans?

And all you are doing is proving my original post to be correct, you are applying different standards to Nani than you are to other wingers in world football.

Di Maria has goals and assists that I don't believe Nani would have if he was playing instead of Di Maria, which is great as he is only new to the club.
    He offers far more than Nani ever did.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement