Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Stoke and Liverpool next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stoke and Liverpool next?

Southampton Monday week followed by Liverpool weekend after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Ye a table top battle and a team in the bottom half we need to be taking as many points as possible eh Kew ;)
    9 from 9 is great
    16/18 from 18 would be even better...

Would be great to win the next three. 6 games unbeaten, which they are winnable. Chelsea and man city messing up a bit hopefully, could cement down third place and hopefully a bit of luck with Chelsea and man city dropping points.

dubmick wrote: »
    How did Falcao do when he came on?

He missed a chance that he should have scored in his sleep - but the good thing was he has an unbelievable talent for being in the right place to put those away, so probably just a bit rusty or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Will mata become a regular now with ADM out for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Will mata become a regular now with ADM out for a while.

Is ADM out for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Is ADM out for a while?
    Yes, according to a source close to basillarkin who wished the remain anonymous. :D

brinty wrote: »
    Ye a table top battle and a team in the bottom half we need to be taking as many points as possible eh Kew ;)
    9 from 9 is great
    16/18 from 18 would be even better...

Would be very nice :)

Ya if we could win few more in a row it would really get the season going proper.

7 points from next 3 games and I be happy enough, but 9 be sweet.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yes, according to a source close to basillarkin who wished the remain anonymous. :D

I'm hoping it wasn't too bad, obviously hard to tell but it didn't look as bad as you would often see if that makes any sense.
    He's been a little off the boil lately anyway, maybe the break will do him good and he'll be back at his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I know this may sound crazy, but I have real belief in this team, in that I think LVG is right and Chelsea will hit a patch where their form is not as good and they drop points.

I think we can overtake City, their only clean sheets since the beginning of October was against us and we know what happened with Smalling in that game and against Aston Villa, but overall in the league they conceded 6 goals, scored 12...+6 goals in 6 games.

Chelsea and the team from beginning of October, 7 games, 3 clean sheets, scored 9 , conceded 4. +5 goals.

United since start of October, 7 games, 2 cleans sheets, scored 11 goals, conceded 6 goals, +5 goals.

Liverpool 7 games, 2 cleans sheets scored 8 goals, conceded 9 ngoals, -1 goal.

Arsenal played 7, 4 clean sheets, scored 10 goals, conceded 8 goals. +2 goals.

I am putting United in with a chance of winning the title this season, with a tougher run of matches in the previous 6 to 7 games, we have done very good.

Just remembered I put a bet on United last April, a tenner each way at 13/2 to win or come second this season.
    I still believe in this bet.

Don't do it to yourself, Chelsea ain't for stopping this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm hoping it wasn't too bad, obviously hard to tell but it didn't look as bad as you would often see if that makes any sense.
    He's been a little off the boil lately anyway, maybe the break will do him good and he'll be back at his best.
    An official close to the club informs me we will be looking to sell him in January, stay tuned.

We need to start a rumour mill website. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The gap is too wide but I don't believe they're world beaters.

I'd expect Madrid or Bayern to beat them in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Billy86 wrote: »
    An official close to the club informs me we will be looking to sell him in January, stay tuned.

We need to start a rumour mill website. :pac:

The newspapers do enough of a good job of that!

Well I am going top 2 with a chance of winning. This season kind of reminds me of LVG at Bayern where he started badly and went onto win the title.
    I do believe history does repeat itself, deja vu for LVG :D

I do think we should be aiming at beating Man City at the very least, and after that see what happens.

I will form a more reasoned opinion around the first week of January, presuming nothing unfortunate happens to me in the meantime.
    If we are down to single figures by then I will say 'title race on'. if gap is higher than present I will form the opinion, nope, no chance.

I just think we have the quality this season to compete, the passing is getting faster all the time, once our strikers stay fit and the rest of the injured come back in decent form, I think we could surprise.
    Falcao will hit form and is possibly our greatest weapon for the second half of the season.

We have little prayer of winning the league but I would not be surprised if United got 2nd.

Most likely 3rd or 4th though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

4th place this season and I'll be happy.

Zero chance of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

With this team and the improvement in play, i'd predict us to finish third with a tight fight with Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I have no real basis other than a hunch for saying this, but I don't see Southampton maintaining a CL position.

They have a lot of players that have played every game and a couple of key injuries, or cup runs may damage their chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Logic, thats the basis for believing Southampton won't maintain their form for the entire season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Can see utd getting 2nd fairly easily, city arent far ahead and southampton will drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Well we did win the title in 02-03 after a start of W5 D5 L3 and having played only one of the top four if memory serves me right.

That said, complacency isn't something you associate with Mourinho teams so I can't see it happening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pro. F wrote: »
    RVP was still fairly poor today. If that goal is the start of him scoring regularly then he'll be worth his place, but if he continues playing like today and scoring like he has been this season then he really needs to be replaced by one of the other strikers.

I wouldn't say he was poor. Not at top of his game, but he had a goal and an assist and another header that was called offside but very close. I think his movement is excellent and he worked hard during the entire game (something that might have been missing in previous games) deserved his goal and really benefitted from Carrick in the team as he's the only one it seems who can pick out his runs, maybe Herrera can but Mata it seems can't.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Was a step off, as is expected coming back from injury. Was making good runs but a second too slow. Had a really good chance late on he should have buried. Did well in the build up to that moment by shurgging off defenders.

Disagree, first game back from a lengthy lay off, got no real chances except one, which Mata should have finished, if the game is 0-0 Mata is taking that on his own and rightly so, sure it was a nice thing to do but if you gave that pass to Mata i doubt you are expecting it to come back. Other than that he got nothing to work with, prob didn't help having Fletcher in CM.
    Can see utd getting 2nd fairly easily, city arent far ahead and southampton will drift.

I can see us getting 2nd if we continue to work hard, it was a good performance but Hull were abysmal but we did what we needed to do and killed the game off, they had zero chance of anything in the last 20 mins and it's been a while since we were in that position.

Positives for me: Herrera, smashing game, gave the ball away a bit but won it back. Carrick steadied everything and got moves started. Young and Valencia did nothing wrong defensively - shows they are learning Young especially this season has worked very hard on his game, deserves to get time. Rooney consistent. RVP working for the team and interested.

Negatives: Mata for me is way too slow on the ball. It was Hull, they gave up after goal 1 and that's needed to keep the result in perspective.

Overall: Job done and we keep the run going. Stoke is actually a crucial game now, a win there and it extends our best run of 2014 (yes folks DM never managed as awesome a run as what we are currently on)

United have the best strike force in the league. Chelsea and City are highly dependent on Costa and Aguero respectably.
    Injuries or suspensions to them remove their main threats.
    United have stronger options.

Our midfield is improving all the time. We have a better midfield than when we won the league last year: 2012/2013 season.

Our goalkeeper is better than city's and on a par with Chelsea.

Our defense should continue to improve.

Out of Chelsea, City and ourselves. We have the most room for improvement.
    Southampton don't have this and today will tell us a lot.

These are the main reasons for my optimism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

l would say it was the best united performance in a year that I have seen.

Positives were the comprehensive nature of the performance. Confident and dominant for the whole game. Carrick makes a huge difference to the midfield, defensively disciplined and really improves our ball retention.

Hull were very poor though. The next three games will tell a lot. 7 points from the next three should be the target. If we can get that I will be more convinced that a corner has been turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Great to see Herrera back. With all players fit I would like to see a midfield 3 of Carrick or Blind holding, Fellani and Herrera eitherside, with a front 3 of Rooney, Falco and Di Maria. That 6 is as good as Chelsea or Citys imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Think I'll wait and see how we fare in the next 3 before saying anything concrete but things are promising at the moment

I think Chelsea will hit a slump at some stage, they haven't had it bad with injuries at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Great to see Herrera back, I predict a bright future for him at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kryogen wrote: »
    Logic, thats the basis for believing Southampton won't maintain their form for the entire season :)

I agree and the PL era has shown us that a lot of these early season front runners, who are punching above their weight. Tend to fall away once we enter January.

• Advertisement

Chelsea are 8 ahead of man city and 11 ahead of us. You'd swear no team has ever thrown that away or caught up.
    There is still 25 games left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Chelsea are 8 ahead of man city and 11 ahead of us. You'd swear no team has ever thrown that away or caught up.
    There is still 25 games left.

That's true but they are the only team that has looked half decent this season and been consistent.

I still think anyone who thinks Utd will challenge for the title this season are being extremely optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jesus, talk of challenging for the title is premature. Top 4 and I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Chelsea are the complete opposite to us as they have had their stongest team available in almost every game, Costa has missed two and Oscar one the exceptions.

Would the 11 point gap have been less had we had everyone fit?

adox wrote: »
    That's true but they are the only team that has looked half decent this season and been consistent.

I still think anyone who thinks Utd will challenge for the title this season are being extremely optimistic.
    Jesus, talk of challenging for the title is premature. Top 4 and I'd be delighted.

Well at United, they are talking up the possibility.

RobertKK wrote: »

That doesn't change anything for me. We aren't strong enough to go the rest of the season only losing 2 or 3 more games imo. Our start set us back. Top 4 this year, build on that next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Considering the injuries we have had and continue to have I think anything more than 4th place will be a bonus. LVGs first season in charge, the players getting used to his style along with the new boys getting fully settled etc etc..

We are improving slowly but surely. The atmosphere around the club is very positive. Things are looking up for us and I expect to see a strong showing for the 2nd half of our season.

Next season I will be expecting us to be pushing for the title but right now it's far too premature IMO. With Jose at the helm I cannot see Chelsea having more than a few minor blips.

Also on a different note, Southampton have gotten a taste of reality today. There is no way they will be in the top 4 come the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was on a weekend away so missed the match yesterday but got sent that gift of Snalling with the triple header. That's some dedication to the cause and really what's requires.

My spirits are so improved. Granted we are always suceptible to a defeat here and there now I don't seem to be freaking my **** going into games.

RobertKK wrote: »

3rd and 4th are up for grabs. United aren't good enough to get top 2 this season imo. Chelsea & City are much better. City haven't even kicked into gear yet.

Utd are only 1 point better off this season than under Moyes after the same amount of games. Obviously performances are better but those are the stats.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was on a weekend away so missed the match yesterday but got sent that gift of Snalling with the triple header. That's some dedication to the cause and really what's requires.

My spirits are so improved. Granted we are always suceptible to a defeat here and there now I don't seem to be freaking my **** going into games.
    Anybody else think that that triple header was poor play rather than good play? Should have cleared with first header, should have left second header to the United player under the ball and still can't get it clear. Final header goes to a Hull player in our half. Maybe I'm being harsh.

• Advertisement

For the record, I wasnt saying we will challange, but with a lot of luck and bad results going for chelsea and mancity, its a possibility, a very small one.

As it should be most seasons with our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

It really should be more than a small possibility every year tbh, but i'm just overanalysing your post, and I know what you meant.

Put the title talk on hold lads, next year is "our year"

Al Capwned wrote: »
    It really should be more than a small possibility every year tbh, but i'm just overanalysing your post, and I know what you meant.

Yeah. Most years apart from last and this year, we should be generally aiming to win.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic after 3 points from hull and Chelsea drawing. We will know more in the next 5-10 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rarnes1 wrote: »
    3rd and 4th are up for grabs. United aren't good enough to get top 2 this season imo. Chelsea & City are much better. City haven't even kicked into gear yet.

Utd are only 1 point better off this season than under Moyes after the same amount of games. Obviously performances are better but those are the stats.

LVG basically had to rebuild the team including the players already there.Confidence was at an all time low after last season and he also had to start stamping his own style on the squad.Now it's starting to shine through,no longer are we seeing the zombie football of last season - even Fellaini looks like a new man.
    United haven't kicked into gear but the signs are there,at this stage I'd be happy with 3rd or 4th and anything above that would be a bonus.L
    Last season we were actually scared of playing the likes of Stoke,now we are looking forward to it,that's a massive change.It's starting to put paid to the cries of rivals that last season was the beginning of the end for United as a force.

Ah rarnes is back :)
    Pull up a chair, haven't seen you around here since we were sh*te.

:confused: Ok

I stated that I don't think Utd will get top 2, but 3rd and 4th are up for grabs. It's hardly a real controversial statement in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liverpool won a game,but hey even I'm being civil in my replies to him today.

What's wrong with me??:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement

If you had the choice would you take 4th right now?

Just conversation in work during week. From 4 of us United fans, 2 said they would and me and other guy said we play out season.

Personally, I be disappointed with 4th as I think we should be capable of 3rd at worst.

City are v good side but I don't think they are ahead of us as some like think. Chelsea are the top dogs and I can't see them slipping up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement