Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The negatives of finishing outside the top 4 outweight the positives of a 2nd or 3rd place finish, by a distance too.

On that basis, I'd take 4th if it was offered right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you had the choice would you take 4th right now?

Nah, the poor standard elsewhere suggests that if we get our shit together even just a little we should be able to easily make top four. We aren't great, but neither are the rest of the teams.

I'd rather play the season out, and if we did find some good form who knows what could happen. I don't think we can win the title, but even just challenging will generate the type of confidence that would stand to us next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nah, the poor standard elsewhere suggests that if we get our shit together even just a little we should be able to easily make top four. We aren't great, but neither are the rest of the teams.

I'd rather play the season out, and if we did find some good form who knows what could happen. I don't think we can win the title, but even just challenging will generate the type of confidence that would stand to us next season.

The difference this season is the fact that we actually have a functioning midfield,look at yesterday: Di Maria went off & we brought on Herrera.Last season we had TC23 and a half fit Fletcher.LVG bangs on about his "philosophy" but it's actually bearing fruit,the commentators on yesterdays match spoke of the drills before the game and how the players were now comfortable in their roles & interchanging places in systems when needed.
    77% of the ball against a team that tried it's damndest to get it back is impressive and we created chances plus we don't hear excuse of "we tried & hopefully" anymore.Confidence is growing and I can see the league levelling out after Christmas,then we should see the 'real' table as the likes of West Ham,Southampton,Newcastle etc. drop back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just saw vidic was not playing for inter today, is he injured or already fallen out of favor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I really can't see Chelsea getting caught unless on Feb 2nd, after not signing more strikers, they get a unitedesque injury crisis upfront.

With 1/3 or the season gone, 2nd should be the aim with 3rd place 'acceptable'.
    Form is coming back, and there will hopefully be a defensive reinforcement in January. Hopefully the injuries clearing up a little, even with a half settled defense line we would be an awful lot stronger.
    Southampton have a tough run coming up and City are not as sharp as they should be.
    The December games will really tell a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Who is the rivals for third? Arsenal and Liverpool?

Arsenal have finished 3rd twice in the last 10 years. Liverpool in the last 10 seasons have finished 2nd twice and 3rd twice, then 4,6,7,8. We beat arsenal, yet to play liverpool.

We have a better team than the 2 of them, and we look to be clicking into place. I think 4th would be a slight disappointment, would much rather 3rd. There isnt really a difference between 3rd and 4th anyway. If we play nice football and lose out to arsenal by 2 points ill be ok with that.

We will know a lot more in the next 10 games anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Who is the rivals for third? Arsenal and Liverpool?

Arsenal have finished 3rd twice in the last 10 years. Liverpool in the last 10 seasons have finished 2nd twice and 3rd twice, then 4,6,7,8. We beat arsenal, yet to play liverpool.

We have a better team than the 2 of them, and we look to be clicking into place. I think 4th would be a slight disappointment, would much rather 3rd. There isnt really a difference between 3rd and 4th anyway. If we play nice football and lose out to arsenal by 2 points ill be ok with that.

We will know a lot more in the next 10 games anyway.

3rd qualifies for the Champions League, 4th gets into the Champions League play offs. Generally the English team qualifies, but Everton didn't in 05/06. I'd rather be safe in 3rd.

Plus does anyone know what happens if Spurs or Everton win the Europa League? Does England get a 5th place or do the Europa League winners take the spot from the 4th place team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If utd make it through the Christmas period without being stretched by injuries we should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unbelievable time to plunder Dortmund in January

We did ****e last year. They do ****e this year. Only one to blame is kagawa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Headshot wrote: »
    Unbelievable time to plunder Dortmund in January

for who,reus is prob the only player we need,and id rather we give the young players we have a chance then spending 50 odd million on hummels and gundogan (who both injury prone),I think McNair and blackett could be great players for us for the next decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Isn't Reus injured too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jebus84 wrote: »
    for who,reus is prob the only player we need,and id rather we give the young players we have a chance then spending 50 odd million on hummels and gundogan (who both injury prone),I think McNair and blackett could be great players for us for the next decade.

Hummels, subotic and Reus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Isn't Reus injured too?

Yep I think he is out for the season now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hococop wrote: »
    Yep I think he is out for the season now

Not yet, only ruled out till January (for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Whatever happened to Gundogan? Last I heard he had a persistent back problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I'd be very much inclined to take a risk on Reus and spend whatever it took to get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Just checking the tv listings. Is the match tomorrow not on TV? BT have Leicester Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

KH25 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Gundogan? Last I heard he had a persistent back problem.

Only back from injury a month or 2.

I think he came out recently and said he had a deal tied up with Madrid before his injury problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Just checking the tv listings. Is the match tomorrow not on TV? BT have Leicester Liverpool.

It is on tv just not Irish or Uk tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

kstand wrote: »
    I'd be very much inclined to take a risk on Reus and spend whatever it took to get him.

Reus plays on the left though, no great need for him. Gundogan has been very poor since returning btw, would have to wait till the summer at least to see if he can regain form and stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Montroseee wrote: »
    Reus plays on the left though, no great need for him. Gundogan has been very poor since returning btw, would have to wait till the summer at least to see if he can regain form and stay injury free.

I'd leave Gundugan well alone and concentrate on Strootman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I'd agree with that sentiment. Once there is another CB or RB purchased in Jan I'll be happy, even just as a short term option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

with Fellaini, Blind and Carrick in the mix, would we actually need Strootman at the moment? if we were signing a midfielder, wed need somebody with a completely different skillset to the above 3 and i am not sure if Strootman gives that. also not a good idea to be bringing a player just coming back from injury into our squad right now.

two top class defenders are top priority and dare i say, unless Falcao turns good, another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

All goals against Hull from my new favourite video taker :)

http://vimeo.com/113197855

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

two top class defenders are top priority and dare i say, unless Falcao turns good, another striker.

Anyone else impressed with his movement when he came on on Saturday? However brief it was, I thought it was a joy to watch and looking forward to seeing him hopefully have a decent injury free run. the man was class and hopefully can prove he still is.

with Fellaini, Blind and Carrick in the mix, would we actually need Strootman at the moment?

Yes. We would.

Lets not settle for the likes of Blind and Felliani, thats the type of thinking that left us in this mess in the first place. They are playing well? Great, but lets still try to improve on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yes. We would.

Lets not settle for the likes of Blind and Felliani, thats the type of thinking that left us in this mess in the first place. They are playing well? Great, but lets still try to improve on them.

Definitely. From what I've seen of Strootman he is a level above Blind and Fellaini.

Blind and Fellaini are great squad players. The players than can keep a squad together to win a league. Much better than tc23 and ando.

We could do with buying someone like strootman to replace carrick. No point in settling on blind and Fellaini just because they are doing better than the old crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You can't have 22 world class players.

A Strootman would be a very welcome addition though.

Carrick return has been welcome.

Thought he was v good against Arsenal.

Sure we can.

Carrick won't be around much longer and we don't want him to turn into Steve g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A comparison between Stevie and Carrick couldn't be much more irrelevant! They have two completely different styles of play and assets.

I would take Strootman if available, probably wait till the summer though as I feel there is enough there to achieve the targets this season in midfield already. You can't have 22 world class players as someone else has pointed out and squads win titles not first XI's

Finding the balance is key and as things stand we are light defensively so that needs to be addressed first if it can be in January

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would agree here. Would have those three as my priorities now and in the summer.

Even if Falcao comes good, I think that he, RVP and Rooney are getting on. We could really do with a 22-25 year old near world class potential/ability to bridge the gap between the trio and Wilson (who turns 19 today!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

with Fellaini, Blind and Carrick in the mix, would we actually need Strootman at the moment? if we were signing a midfielder, wed need somebody with a completely different skillset to the above 3 and i am not sure if Strootman gives that. also not a good idea to be bringing a player just coming back from injury into our squad right now.

While we are in a far better place in midfield now than we have been for the last few years and are well set to get us in the CL places, that trio isn't going to win us much silverware. A higher quality of midfield needs to be added.
    Whether you rate Carrick or not (I do), he's at the age where he will need to be replaced anyway, be it this, next or the following season.
    Perhaps 'need' is the wrong term, there, but United should be planning on replacing him to avoid us falling into the same midfield issues we've have for years. Same with Fletcher. Can't allow sentimentality to mask the fact that at best, he is a 2nd or 3rd choice backup.
    If those two are replaced over the next couple of windows, with top drawer quality, United can kick on another level.

I wouldn't be too upset if Strootman or a.n.o. wasn't signed until the summer, but given the injury problems at the back, a CB should be the priority in January.

If a player in any position of the likes of Strootman/Reus/Hummels/Vidal are gettable in this upcoming window, then absolutely go for it and get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

zerks wrote: »
    LVG bangs on about his "philosophy" but it's actually bearing fruit,the commentators on yesterdays match spoke of the drills before the game and how the players were now comfortable in their roles & interchanging places in systems when needed.

I remember watching the warm up vs QPR in September. In the 11 vs 1 warm up drill, the interchanging and ball movements in those drills is mesmerising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Official Calendar for €3.50 on Amazon now as a lightning deal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1908925698/

Only time for a quick post, but couple of lads in work telling me Di Maria is out for 5 weeks??

Say it isn't so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Only time for a quick post, but couple of lads in work telling me Di Maria is out for 5 weeks??

Say it isn't so

Haven't heard that other than he's missing for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Is rooney fit for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jamesbere wrote: »
    Is rooney fit for tomorrow

Rooney apparently told LVG immediately after the game Saturday that he would be ok - but he aint a doctor...

On Di Maria, I think they were looking to assess him today, and that him out of Stoke is a precaution at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

Score predictions for tomorrow? Think 2-0 to us myself, RVP and Mata to score I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Rooney apparently told LVG immediately after the game Saturday that he would be ok - but he aint a doctor...

On Di Maria, I think they were looking to assess him today, and that him out of Stoke is a precaution at this point.

What exactly happened to Rooney? I was at the game and completely missed it just before the end? Couldn't see what had happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Julez wrote: »
    What exactly happened to Rooney? I was at the game and completely missed it just before the end? Couldn't see what had happened.

The commentators were saying he got injured coliding with the advertising hoarding - but I reckon it was a kick or a twist of his leg as he went towards the hoarding. IIRC the leg he was holding was opposite to the one that hit the ad board. I think there was an odd movement in his leg as he went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Say it isn't so

He's down as a 'no return date' on the injury reports. Fingers crossed he'll only be out for tomorrows game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Press conference due today ? Should confirm injuries.

Also on the talk of Strootman he is back in the squad and making gradual returns to the first team.

The manager outlining to the Italian press he will provide a massive boost for the second half of the season and help challenge Juventus.

Will take him some time to get back up to speed but he is going to cost some serious money.

Can't help but feel LVG fancies him though. Will be watching him closely now week on week to see how he's recovered.

Herrera vs Hull. 91% pass completion.

3JBlN34.png

The match analysis showed how our midfield worked in a perfect triangle,Southampton last season showed how effective this is as they controlled games.
    Compare this to the gaping chasm we saw last season & at times in Fergies final season.

The match analysis showed how our midfield worked in a perfect triangle,Southampton last season showed how effective this is as they controlled games.
    Compare this to the gaping chasm we saw last season & at times in Fergies final season.

Been saying all season that we should be playing with three in the middle instead of shoehorning in extra strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

watch Bruno Peres be linked with us now after his wonder goal yesterday. apparently has been playing excellently all season and going off what ive been told, he is a player who is perfect for the RWB role in a 3-5-2.

watch Bruno Peres be linked with us now after his wonder goal yesterday. apparently has been playing excellently all season and going off what ive been told, he is a player who is perfect for the RWB role in a 3-5-2.

Notice how he left Evra doing what he does best,get caught upfield,run back a bit then give up.Some things never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Notice how he left Evra doing what he does best,get caught upfield,run back a bit then give up.Some things never change.

Evra at his best was wonderful but in the last few years his defending really went to pot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement