Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Very impressed with Rojo tonight, looking much more composed with these run of games.

Unreal tension, nerves are shot.
    I'm disappointed we didn't kill the game off and we nearly paid for it.
    Best players for me today were Chris Smalling, 'The Big Fella', Ashley Young, Marcus Rojo and Sir David.
    Have to give praise for the sheer intense pressure when we were with our without possesion.
    And the noise in OT has returned to full voice.

On David, he's just world class. To spring into action like that when he was virtually idle all game is on another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Can't wait for rafael to get back, valencia offers nothing on that side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Laptop nearly got launched there if they equalised.

Those games are the margins between getting top four and missing out. Given Liverpool won again tonight, important to keep picking up points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

madcabbage wrote: »
    Ashley Young, take a bow.

Ridiculous block on the line and his overall play was very good. Looks like he is getting his confidence back now as well.

Another 3 points and our performance was quite good at times but we really need to start finishing off games.
    Onwards and upwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Those last few minutes very nearly cost us. We should have scored at least 2 more goals and we were lucky in the end to get the 3 points. How RVP stayed on for the full 90 mins is beyond me. He is playing terribly at the moment and he is offering very little to the team right now. Even his usual immaculate touch seems to have deserted him.

Rojo and Smalling did quite well I thought.
    Mata improved in the 2nd half but was poor overall
    Herrera was better in the 2nd half.
    I thought Valencia and young both had quite good games.
    Wilson did very well and I loved seeing him have the selfishness to try to score instead of playing RVP through(which was probsbly the more sensible option). For a young lad he has a great attitude and has pace to burn.
    Fellaini did very well taking the ball down so many times in complete control from the kickouts. He also took his goal well I thought.
    DDG saved our bacon at the end

Another 3 points in the bag but we were nearly punished for not putting away a few more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm getting too old for that craic, heart is hopping.

#WeFaffAgain lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Can't wait for rafael to get back, valencia offers nothing on that side

He has done a great job for us so far and actually produced a couple of chances. Can't remember stoke, hull or the arse having much joy down his flank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

J. Marston wrote: »
    Of course he is.

Courtois my hole.

Absolutely, and Courtois hasn't has tapioca protecting him for most of the season.

I said it in the match thread and will say it again, sign DDG up on a long term deal ASAP. With performances like that and the way he has been all year everyone but prolly Munich and Chelsea would take him in a heart beat.

He is the future of the club and is VITAL to us getting back to the top.

While it wasn't a great game what struck me most tonight was the bollock busting effort of every single one out there for us.

Even though he was completely ineffective up front, RVP covered a huge amount of ground.

Fellaini looks a new man, Smalling getting more comfortable, Herrara and Rojo looked good, Wilson will be a cracking player.

If we can get everyone fit, and keep them fit, with the heart and desire on show tonight we will romp to 4th.

Get

In

Mah

Fcukin

Belleh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

James from Sheffield, a rambling caller on MUTV.

edgecutter wrote: »
    He has done a great job for us so far and actually produced a couple of chances. Can't remember stoke, hull or the arse having much job down his flank.

He's doing a decent job defending but for someone who made a career as a winger his crossing(or lack of) is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Four wins on the bouce now. Could we possibly go on a ten game winning streak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

ElChe32 wrote: »
    #WeFaffAgain lads.

Let us just catch our breath first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You know its a bit dodgy when I'm about 3 feet from the telly standing up shouting at it.

• Advertisement

Quandary wrote: »
    Those last few minutes very nearly cost us. We should have scored at least 2 more goals and we were lucky in the end to get the 3 points. How RVP stayed on for the full 90 mins is beyond me. He is playing terribly at the momentariness and he is offering very little to the team right now. Even his usual immaculate touch seems to have deserted him.

Rojo and Smalling did quite well I thought.
    Mata improved in the 2nd half but was poor overall
    Herrera was better in the 2nd half.
    I thought Valencia and young both had quite good games.
    Wilson did very well and I loved seeing him have the selfishness to try to score instead of playing RVP through(which was probsbly the more sensible option). For a young lad he has a great attitude and has pace to burn.
    Fellaini did very well taking the ball down so many times in complete control from the kickouts. He also took his goal well I thought.
    DDG saved our bacon at the end

Another 3 points in the bag but we were nearly punished for not putting away a few more goals.

Bit unfair to say RVP offered nothing when he tracked back consistantly and helped out the defense and aided to retain possesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I really enjoyed watching the team attacking tonight, more so than against Hull. It seemed like there was more of a threat to go along with all the possession, even if the crosses from Young and Valencia were puke.

Seems to still be problems when defending. Stoke didn't attack much, but it all turned a bit desperate at the end. Fair play to DDG and Young for saving the bacon.

Edit: Wilson is very exciting.

RVP did a lot of dirty work in holding up the ball and chasing down the defenders. Against sides like Stoke that can be the best you can hope for at times because it's so congested between defence and midfield.

So do you think Rojo is taking credit for a goal that is Mata's?

Hopefully Van Gaal will have a word with wilson and RVP about actually passing to each other when through on goal, could have cost us today.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »

Very hard to see any touch. Most players will try to claim it though. I'd prefer Mata to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

RVP is just the hobby horse now apparently.

Saying he did nothing in that game is just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

The little fecker didn't touch that ball! Chancing his arm so he is.

Did we win 4 league games in a row at any stage last season ? I have my doubts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Very hard to see any touch. Most players will try to claim it though. I'd prefer Mata to get it.

I hope rojo gets it he is in my fantasy team haha but I doubt it

keane2097 wrote: »
    RVP is just the hobby horse now apparently.

Saying he did nothing in that game is just too much.

I blame fantasy football. Too often these days a player does 'nothing' because they didn't score or get an assist.

RVP worked hard against a tough defence there tonight and had bugger all chances to work with.

Valencia, young, Fellaini all playing extremely well this year.

Louis van Gaandalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Bit unfair to say RVP offered nothing when he tracked back consistantly and helped out the defense and aided to retain possesion.

I didn't say he offered nothing, I said he offered very little. He's on the pitch to do the business primarily in an attacking capacity and aside from his goal over the weekend he is not showing enough to start ahead of Wilson or Falcao.

I keep getting the sense that LVG wants to leave him on to maybe nick a goal and get his confidence back but there comes a point when he needs to be benched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Very pleasing to see Smalling being so confident on the ball. He was not afraid to play some nice passes and also to dribble. He is getting better and better every game. Rojo was good too but he sort of lost few duels against Diouf but apart from that he was very good. His composure on the ball is just brilliant.

Fellaini has become so important player for us, never thought he will play any mins at all this season when Napoli move looked on the cards.

Herrera had poor first half but second half was much better.

De Gea and Young are heroes and saved the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I remember last year saying Utd will do well to hold on to DDG for another 2-3 years as Real or Barca will come calling. I was laughed out of it... Not sure why.
    They will certainly be looking to sign him now... What.a.f**king.keeper

Give him a new contract quick LVG.

• Advertisement

1 point off 3rd
    2 off 2nd

They dared to dream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also last year fringe players are playing really well.

Young, Valencia, Fellaini looked they had no future at ManUtd and now all 3 are contributing well.

Mata interviewed on MUTV, he doesn't know whose goal it is.

Was asked about Fellaini, talked about how happy he is for him, and that he is such a nice person.
    Confidence is sky high and team is happy.

Only down side to that game was watching Fletcher. He is done and it is sad to see. We actually got worse when he came on.

In defence of rvp the passes and crosses to him are still too slow. He thrives on balls played behind the defence to run on to but by the time the passes come in these days the defence are back and set.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Also last year fringe players are playing really well.

Young, Valencia, Fellaini looked they had no future at ManUtd and now all 3 are contributing well.

Valencia does a job, but really happy for Young and Fellaini. In the past I wanted Young gone, but that would just be stupid now.

Remember before the start of the season, and the claims in the papers that Fellaini was not a LVG type player and he would be sold.
    Well, that was rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Looking a bit better now :D - heres hoping for draws between Arsenal/Southampton, Chelsea/Spurs (very possible) and a sneaky loss for City..

oruy4z.jpg

edgecutter wrote: »
    Only down side to that game was watching Fletcher. He is done and it is sad to see. We actually got worse when he came on.

I think Herrera had emptied at that stage. He'd put in a decent shift and there was two plays that players went past him with a run and he couldn't track towards the end. Not sure if there was anyone else that could've come on in that position.

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal: "It was not our best performance. We were not aggressive enough in the first half, we didn't keep our position on the pitch. I was not pleased at half time - and I told them. The second half was better, we created more chances but we need to score more goals.

"Then Peter Crouch comes on, you know the long balls are coming and it is always difficult. But I'm pleased we held this result. The last few moments were not necessary but it is always like that. We have struggled until the end in the Premier League - it is common.

"I'm happy with the result - tomorrow we have a Christmas party and it's important we can enjoy that."

On Wayne Rooney and Angel Di Maria's injuries: "Wayne has a scan tomorrow and then we will know more. I'm pleased Di Maria's injury is not so heavy. We've got more players coming back and we can see a little more light in the tunnel."

Hopefully that means Angel isn't out for too long..

• Advertisement

LVG says it is Mata's goal, that it was straight from the training ground, that Rojo was to run in front of the goalkeeper to block him and it was good to take it from the training ground to the match.

DDG just did his job, he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

We were profligate in front of goal again. That game should have been way more comfortable at the end. Much has been made of our injury hit defence, but our attackers need to pull the finger out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Remember before the start of the season, and the claims in the papers that Fellaini was not a LVG type player and he would be sold.
    Well, that was rubbish...

I think Fellaini was gone to Napoli if he didn't suffer that foot injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Blatter wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not, never know now and we are lucky to have him right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Unreal some of the stuff being posted here. Feillaini spent the second half out on the right where he contributed nothing - not to talk of the neck holding cop out for the equaliser. RVP had a decent first half but surely he and not Wilson should have gone in the second? And why bring Falcao on in the 78th minute? The only impression I get is they don't want him to make an impression and are willing to wear the loan cost and let him go.
    We were playing Stoke at home - and before people start saying we won - which we did - it was down to 2 great De Gea saves and Ashley Young on the line to win it. Miracle we got a point but yeah, some of ye keep on believing whatever ye see through those toes tinted glasses.

Blatter wrote: »

Thank God for injuries :P but we had enough now...

• Advertisement

kstand wrote: »
    Unreal some of the stuff being posted here. Feillaini spent the second half out on the right where he contributed nothing - not to talk of the neck holding cop out for the equaliser. RVP had a decent first half but surely he and not Wilson should have gone in the second? And why bring Falcao on in the 78th minute? The only impression I get is they don't want him to make an impression and are willing to wear the loan cost and let him go.
    We were playing Stoke at home - and before people start saying we won - which we did - it was down to 2 great De Gea saves and Ashley Young on the line to win it. Miracle we got a point but yeah, some of ye keep on believing whatever ye see through those toes tinted glasses.[/QUOTE]

I believe we won, and we all know there is a lot of room for improvement, and we are only a toe away from Southampton, but we will see how tomorrow goes, a loss for them might be good for us as it may affect their confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I thought we deserved the 3 points over the 90 minutes.

Heart stopping at end, but its not like DDG had anything much do all day.

We looked comfortable for most part but we failed to kill off the game and its that which nearly cost us.

I like the way we are keeping the ball. We are also mixing it up much more which is also pleasing.

We were nothing special but I thought it was a very solid performance and its was enjoyable(ish) bar injury time.

The high fives at end of game is great to see too. The team looks very together and that's very pleasing.

Fellaini is doing one huge thing for us too in breaking up play when opposition attack. It was a major problem last season and even start of current one but his small toe pokes might seem little but they give that extra 2 to 3 seconds to get team organised again. Teams counter attacked far too easily in past.

This is nothing like last season for number of reasons now. May it continue.

kstand wrote: »
    We were playing Stoke at home - and before people start saying we won - which we did - it was down to 2 great De Gea saves and Ashley Young on the line to win it. Miracle we got a point but yeah, some of ye keep on believing whatever ye see through those toes tinted glasses.

686624b124626083ecc635056db69f3240a06e6f9f4504e7b25fb16d9244bb6d.jpg

I think Herrera just said 'Tomorrow we will enjoy Christmas dinner'.

I hope Diouf scores in his next game, he deserves to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement