Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

We only loaned him. Falcao isn't up to match fitness.

Rvp made some very sexy runs and movement and played well enough tracking back and being a Rooney. Die to Wilson wanting a go himself he missed a great chance. Stop trying to scapegoat him. He played fine, just didn't get the killer pass.

Hmmm inform Fellaini or small frustrating jan against a stoke defense. Hmmmm.

Wilson made thee chance for himself and I couldn't fault him for wanting to take his chance - that's what the best strikers do. Wilson was in a great position in the first half with a tap in at his mercy but RVP elected to drag the ball back for Herrara who blazed over - maybe that was on Wilsons mind when he went through.
    I'm not scapegoating RVP - he did OK - but whats the point in leaving Falcao sitting cold on the bench? Hows he going to get amtch fit as you put it when he's sitting under a blanket?
    And as for your last remark - "Hmmm inform Fellaini or small frustrating jan against a stoke defense" - are you for real? Look where Feillaini played in theseocnd half and what he contributed when he got the ball there - since when was he a winger? He's a cart horse, a nuisance and does a job in midfield or as a number 10 - but a Manchester United player he is not. And yet you'd rather have him on the right flank instead of an actual winger in Januzaj.

Liam O wrote: »
    So you think Fellaini should have been taken off when Stoke of all teams were pressing for a goal? For Januzaj. That's absolute lunacy in fairness.

How? Look where he was playing ffs - right wing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So you think Fellaini should have been taken off when Stoke of all teams were pressing for a goal? For Januzaj. That's absolute lunacy in fairness.

And either shawcross is massive or Herrera is tiny. Remember seeing the 2 of them next to eachother.

It's those games when I would like to see us do a Chelsea and just bring on a defender and close out the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No way Fellaini was going to be, or should have been brought off when everybody knew what was coming, i.e. the long ball assault.

There is something very naive about not understanding why Wilson was taken off instead of Van Persie so I am not even going to get in to that and even more so not understanding easing a player in after another injury.

What I do get a laugh from is someone who will say "what was the point in spending all that money on him (despite not spending all that money on him) and only giving him a bit part in a game that was crying out for him" would also most likely have a good whinge if Falcao came on earlier, or started the game and broke down again, sure that would also be something to have a pop at the manager about, he should have known his player wasn't right to start. In fact, it would also serve as a nice route into a why did we even get him in the first place he is a crock!

Course, to assume Van Gaal would know his player wasn't right to start would have to acknowledge that possibly he knew how long he was ready to play also, oh, and that since Wilson missed the game a couple of days ago due to illness maybe the manager felt he had done enough and maybe had earned himself a round of applause from the fans on his first Premier League start to boost his confidence?

Its possible I suppose, but I think we all know that he just has a huge man crush on Van Persie and doesn't have a notion what he is doing as a manager tactically or player judgement wise. Definitely seems to be the more credible line of thought....................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................
    .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ...........................................................................................................................................
    ................................................................................................................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Didn't think anyone would be writing off Fellaini after being United's best player this season bar DDG. Especially in favour of one of the worst players this season. 'Not a Manchester United player'. Right.

• Advertisement

kstand wrote: »
    Wilson made thee chance for himself and I couldn't fault him for wanting to take his chance - that's what the best strikers do. Wilson was in a great position in the first half with a tap in at his mercy but RVP elected to drag the ball back for Herrara who blazed over - maybe that was on Wilsons mind when he went through.
    I'm not scapegoating RVP - he did OK - but whats the point in leaving Falcao sitting cold on the bench? Hows he going to get amtch fit as you put it when he's sitting under a blanket?
    And as for your last remark - "Hmmm inform Fellaini or small frustrating jan against a stoke defense" - are you for real? Look where Feillaini played in theseocnd half and what he contributed when he got the ball there - since when was he a winger? He's a cart horse, a nuisance and does a job in midfield or as a number 10 - but a Manchester United player he is not. And yet you'd rather have him on the right flank instead of an actual winger in Januzaj.

As a Manchester player, he has been our best player this season.

So Wilson spited rvp and you blame rvp? Ok.

Yes. I would not want jan on when Stoke are pushing for a goal. Is that mad? No. We were tired, they had momentum. Kill the game, go to ground.
    You can't disrespect teams in the premiership.

He will get fit by training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I had to zoom a healthy way sidewards to thank that post, thanks Kryogen.

Last night was a very difficult game and I'm delighted with the 3 points. I thought Young deserves a lot of praise, he opened them up several times. It wasn't a game for strikers with 11 people surrounding them, so I felt for the likes of Wilson & RVP. Fellani, De Gea, Smalling, Rojo, Mata, and Herrera had good games. Carrick was anonymous.

Yeah I fixed it after, sorry NoviGlitzko, dunno what happened!

Didn't think anyone would be writing off Fellaini after being United's best player this season bar DDG. Especially in favour of one of the worst players this season. 'Not a Manchester United player'. Right.
    There was some (including myself), who always rated him and felt he just wasn't being utilised properly at the start of his United career, which shot his confidence for the rest of last season. He's been the reason for our turn in form, love him! :)

As for Fellaini being on the right, I think it's an interesting formation choice. Having him cover for Valencia on the break being on the right side of centre mid more than a winger is where he was, same at the weekend. Could have gotten a 2nd goal if not for Begovic and makes up for Valencia being a crap defender a lot of the time. No criticism on Herrera being on the left no?

• Advertisement

As for Fellaini being on the right, I think it's an interesting formation choice. Having him cover for Valencia on the break being on the right side of centre mid more than a winger is where he was, same at the weekend. Could have gotten a 2nd goal if not for Begovic and makes up for Valencia being a crap defender a lot of the time. No criticism on Herrera being on the left no?

Of course not.

Fellaini is the worst player in the world.
    Herrera is the second coming

I give up. Honestly cant fathom how some of you lads see the game but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It was shocking to see Feillaini left out on the right flank for nearly the entire second half last night - he should have been hauled along with RVP at the 60th minute or there abouts and Falcao and Januzaj given a go. This persistence with RVP has to stop and it's one of the many things that worry me about Van Gaal - he seems to have his favourites, esp as history has proven they are his own countrymen.
    There were positives in this game, we got the result and there are injuries. Last night though was made for Falcao to be given a real go, not a cameo at the end - what was the point of spending all that money on him and then only giving him bit parts in a game that was crying out for him?

Bizarre stuff.

There was some (including myself), who always rated him and felt he just wasn't being utilised properly at the start of his United career, which shot his confidence for the rest of last season. He's been the reason for our turn in form, love him! :)

Can't wait to see him against the Liverpool defense in 2 weeks. Hopefully makes a lot of those lads eat their words from last season. He does so well at taking the ball down when others would have to head it and lose it. So many great simple passes last night too that got the ball into dangerous areas. Watch the criticism of his physicality start to rise as they no longer have the waste of money thing to fall back on.

Woah. Let's not kick him while he is down

I give up. Honestly cant fathom how some of you lads see the game but each to their own.

Trust us. The feeling is mutual. We are clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wilson made thee chance for himself and I couldn't fault him for wanting to take his chance

I don't understand this argument. Yes, he created the chance. That's his job though, and his ultimate reason for being on the pitch is to help the team win. If he squared that ball to RVP it's as close to a guaranteed goal as you'll get - a goal that was very nearly vital.

It was maybe a bit immature, but I wouldn't hold it against him given his age and inexperience. The argument that he made the chance so he's entitled to f*ck it up doesn't hold water though. He's on the field to make chances and also convert them or see that they get converted, not to seek out personal glory.

Of course not.

Fellaini is the worst player in the world.
    Herrera is the second coming
    Even worse than you?
    Can't wait to see him against the Liverpool defense in 2 weeks. Hopefully makes a lot of those lads eat their words from last season. He does so well at taking the ball down when others would have to head it and lose it. So many great simple passes last night too that got the ball into dangerous areas. Watch the criticism of his physicality start to rise as they no longer have the waste of money thing to fall back on.
    Yep, and he gives us something different with his aerial ability in midfield. His passing is underrated IMO. That opens up a different facet of play we can use with kickouts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

but a Manchester United player he is not.

Can this stupid statement please stop being bellowed out by people, Fellaini is one of the few who HAS looked like United standard this season.

With eyes open. You should try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is this so hard to understand, really?

Fellaini is not out there to be a right winger. Nobody is asking him to go on mazy runs and bamboozle the full backs.

He is there because you are 2-1 up against a physical side who are likely to begin launching high balls.

When you don't have the ball, you are delighted to have a giant, who is physical and good in the air to sit in front of the defence and get involved in aerial battles.

When you do have the ball, you are reasonably happy to let the right back counter, and while the lanky physical guy isn't the ideal player there, he fills a gap, can drop behind the RB to keep aerial threats minimized and you are still 2-1 up.

"ZOMG Fellaini was playing on the right wing, Januzaj would have been way better" is just babytown frolics. You're sitting in front of this thing for two hours anyway, you may as well engage your brain a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I wouldn't have said Fellaini was on the right wing. More to the right of midfield and providing cover for the wingback. Not properly on the wing though. Granted he appeared there often but IMO that's because the space was there for him to enter or he was closing someone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is this so hard to understand, really?

Fellaini is not out there to be a right winger. Nobody is asking him to go on mazy runs and bamboozle the full backs.

He is there because you are 2-1 up against a physical side who are likely to begin launching high balls.

When you don't have the ball, you are delighted to have a giant, who is physical and good in the air to sit in front of the defence and get involved in aerial battles.

When you do have the ball, you are reasonably happy to let the right back counter, and while the lanky physical guy isn't the ideal player there, he fills a gap, can drop behind the RB to keep aerial threats minimized and you are still 2-1 up.

"ZOMG Fellaini was playing on the right wing, Januzaj would have been way better" is just babytown frolics. You're sitting in front of this thing for two hours anyway, you may as well engage your brain a small bit.

I'm going to start using this a lot around work/mates when disagreeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

One thing that annoyed the crap out of me last season was him not getting his head on crosses and corners, in either box. That wasn't just simple thinking 'he's a big man, he should be winning every header', it was because he had done it with Everton and it seemed like he had lost the desire to actually attack headers. Its hard to understand why that wasn't there last season, he was obviously determined and trying. I suppose a lot of the game just comes down to confidence like you're saying and its a big credit to van gaal that a player the majority of people had written off as a United failure is now being a very functional and effective player. His aerial prescense is a massive asset to the side. Very happy with having him at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm going to start using this a lot around work/mates when disagreeing.

He makes good points and all, but I'm not going to lie, it was the primary reason I thanked the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

united played a 4-4-2 diamond last night.

de gea

Valencia Smalling Rojo Young

Carrick

Fellaini
    Herrera

Mata

----Wilson
    Van persie

Fellaini didn't exactly play as a winger last night, just when united had the ball it was his job to create space and move out to the right side of midfield to create more space for other players. when united didn't have the ball it was his job to squeeze midfield a job Januzaj wouldn't have been able to do. Same with Herrera it was his job to move out left when united had the ball, hence it was his left footed cross that created the first goal.

Tactics folks.....tactics

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    One thing that annoyed the crap out of me last season was him not getting his head on crosses and corners, in either box. That wasn't just simple thinking 'he's a big man, he should be winning every header', it was because he had done it with Everton and it seemed like he had lost the desire to actually attack headers. Its hard to understand why that wasn't there last season, he was obviously determined and trying. I suppose a lot of the game just comes down to confidence like you're saying and its a big credit to van gaal that a player the majority of people had written off as a United failure is now being a very functional and effective player. His aerial prescense is a massive asset to the side. Very happy with having him at the moment

Last season he was recovering from a broken bone in his wrist, he had surgery on it after joining us and was recovering with it for a large part of the season.

That is the main reason why he was a lot less physical for large parts of last season imo.

Some people just seem to look at injuries as holidays for the players, they don't seem to acknowledge the recovery (The same issue occurred with people thinking Herrera was out of favour, or somehow going to be sold because he was resting from BROKEN ribs for goodness sakes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It not exactly a shock that if you lump a big high ball down on top of fellaini that hel be effective. Yes he's the man you want against physical stoke or against soft arsenal, still don't think you can have fellaini in midfield if your looking to be champions or compete in the latter stages of the champions league in the future.

I know il get destroyed now because he is flavour of the month but he wouldn't be near any top European midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Bit shocked to come on here and see Fellaini of all players getting doubts and criticism. In terms of this season he has improved the most out of all the players from last year and has become a pivotal player in our midfield lately.

Fair play to the lad, when a lot of fans were booing and doubting him instead of dropping the head he has grinded down and shown some real class. He knows well what some people thought of him last year and he's doing everything to prove doubters wrong. Under VG he has been the physical presence we needed in the middle.

I honestly don't see how after putting in a good run of performances, arguably man of the match yesterday too, he can still gain so much criticism. When will he be one of these so called "Manchester United players", what more does he have to do than play well. Baffling really and I hate when people say he's not a "Manchester United player", come off it, he has ability, wasn't great last year (but who was other than De Gea) but he has been without doubt playing brilliantly when given the chance this year.

• Advertisement

1 person said it Adam.

And got jumped on.

tastyt wrote: »
    It not exactly a shock that if you lump a big high ball down on top of fellaini that hel be effective. Yes he's the man you want against physical stoke or against soft arsenal, still don't think you can have fellaini in midfield if your looking to be champions or compete in the latter stages of the champions league in the future.

I know il get destroyed now because he is flavour of the month but he wouldn't be near any top European midfield

Yeah or international...oh wait. Fellaini is a Yaya Toure type player without as strong a burst but less stroppy. I'd say he's a better short passer and first touch but Yaya is better at long passing and striking. Having someone like that running around in CM can be a huge plus to any team.

Yeah or international...oh wait. Fellaini is a Yaya Toure type player without as strong a burst but less stroppy. I'd say he's a better short passer and first touch but Yaya is better at long passing and striking. Having someone like that running around in CM can be a huge plus to any team.

He's about the same size as Yaya toure. That's where the similarities end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Better away form instead of 13th in the league and we'd be laughing 19/24 possible points at home this season compared with 6/18 away from home.

Well they both have legs too. And they both play football.

For teams in Manchester. They probably love in the same neighbourhood too I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

they both live in manchester

No fellaini doesn't and can't play football.

He's gotten exceptionally far for a footballer with no legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I would say Fellaini is currently Van Gaals first midfield name on the team sheet and will be for the foreseeable future.

His height and lump long balls to him argument is really lazy and doesnt reflect his full skill set as a footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Advertisement

Ok lads, he's playing well, that's for sure. All I'm saying is United will never win anything if fellaini is the man in midfield

No, Fellaini plays football professionally for Manchester United, one of the world's biggest clubs and the Belgian National team, one of the biggest international teams in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ok lads, he's playing well, that's for sure. All I'm saying is United will never win anything if fellaini is the man in midfield

Have you seen the standard of midfielder Utd have deployed in the last few seasons winning nearly everything there is too win?

lol

But he plays as a winger nowadays didn't ya hear?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Just on Fellaini being out wider right for the second half, it was pretty obvious that that was to negate Bojan and Assaidi who were both operating down that side of the field at times before Bojan switched inside at one point. We also played a bit of a lopsided formation to allow Young the freedom of the left hand side because Ireland, playing on the right hand side of their five, is not a right sided midfielder. And judging on last night he's a bit averse to tracking back at all. Just the simple fact of our formation means somebody has to go out and help the full back when he's being doubled up on.

Haha United fans eh. The standards around the place have seriously dropped. I suppose 4th place is successful these days and fellaini is the measure of a quality United player these days.

Moyes really messed ye lot up!!!

Haha United fans eh. The standards around the place have seriously dropped. I suppose 4th place is successful these days and fellaini is the measure of a quality United player these days.

Moyes really messed ye lot up!!!

Ahhh not a united fan, explains why you're utterly ****ing clueless regarding performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Avoid relegation and I'll be happy, it's all about staying up and trying to hang on to Fellaini when Madrid come calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

We won the last 4 games..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement