Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Zlatan is the modern day Cantana. A miracle

I dunno, he would actually have to perform in a big game to live up to those comparisons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

beno619 wrote: »
    I dunno, he would actually have to perform in a big game to live up to those comparisons..

Ah he was never as consistent as he should have been alright but he's a great player. Clearly bonkers as well.

It would have been great if he moved to England a few years ago when he was in his prime. You could imagine him playing for UTD giving Valencia this withering look saying "why you smash the ball against defenders legs over there when Zlatan is over here?? "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    It would have been great if he moved to England a few years ago when he was in his prime. You could imagine him playing for UTD giving Valencia this withering look saying "why you smash the ball against defenders legs over there when Zlatan is over here?? "

He'd just have been another Berbatov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I was just about to say that. A better version

At least Berba had his Liverpool hat-trick while Zlatan is wildly talented he rarely leaves his mark on the games that matter. Apart from a group game Vs England at Euro 2012 I cant recall a single big game performance from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

An incredible footballer who sings to those of us who are getting annoyed at the emphasis on pace and power, and lack of genuine talents?

There are very few people left in world football like Berbatov and Ibrahimovic, maybe every now and again one might come along, but with the emphasis on pace and power, the game is loosing one of it's prized assets, the mercurial.

That Berbatov moved to Fulham was an absolute disgrace. As with the mercurial, their attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll take a Berbatov, Ibrahimovic or Bergkamp over a Suaraz, Benzema or Aguero any day of the week. Call me crazy all you want, but they are the type of player I connect with much more then the dreary pace machines that dominate the game now.

At least Berba had his Liverpool hat-trick while Zlatan is wildly talented he rarely leaves his mark on the games that matter. Apart from a group game Vs England at Euro 2012 I cant recall a single big game performance from him.

That was labelled at Ronaldo and I suppose in part it's a fair point.

But someone like Ibrahimovic makes up for it with a pretty hefty rake of league titles, and a goalscoring record that puts most to shame. he's scored 20+ goals in every season for how many seasons on the bounce?

Too many people buy into the Sky Punditry of how he is a nothing player cause he didn't beat Liverpool on one night in October, or some random **** like that. Completely disregarding how he simply put, tears a hole through any league he walks into.

He would have blown the Premier league away entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    An incredible footballer who sings to those of us who are getting annoyed at the emphasis on pace and power, and lack of genuine talents?

There are very few people left in world football like Berbatov and Ibrahimovic, maybe every now and again one might come along, but with the emphasis on pace and power, the game is loosing one of it's prized assets, the mercurial.

That Berbatov moved to Fulham was an absolute disgrace. As with the mercurial, their attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll take a Berbatov, Ibrahimovic or Bergkamp over a Suaraz, Benzema or Aguero any day of the week. Call me crazy all you want, but they are the type of player I connect with much more then the dreary pace machines that dominate the game now.

berba over suarez or aguero :eek:

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    berba over suarez or aguero :eek:

Yeah, in relation to who I'd actually like to watch. I feel a connection and empathy to Berbatov rather then others. As someone who was never particularly fast, but had a good first touch and a decent head for a pass. I just aprpeciate that type of player more.

The football world will supply us with dozens and dozens of Suarez's and Agueros, but it won't bring something like a Berbatov or Ibrahimovic along too often.

I'm not saying Berbatov is better btw, as that might be something you've totally misread. I'm saying I prefer that style of striker, and as players, would prefer watching smoeone like Berbatov or Ibrahimovic.

Probably some bias on my part that Bergkamp is my favourite player of all time, and someone that was a prety big inspiration when I started playing outfield.

That was labelled at Ronaldo and I suppose in part it's a fair point.

But someone like Ibrahimovic makes up for it with a pretty hefty rake of league titles, and a goalscoring record that puts most to shame. he's scored 20+ goals in every season for how many seasons on the bounce?

Too many people buy into the Sky Punditry of how he is a nothing player cause he didn't beat Liverpool on one night in October, or some random **** like that. Completely disregarding how he simply put, tears a hole through any league he walks into.

He would have blown the Premier league away entirely.

Its a valid criticism I think and has nothing to do with Sky pundits.

Saurez, Benzema and Aguero are also phenomenal they were just blessed with pace/power or both as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yeah, in relation to who I'd actually like to watch. I feel a connection and empathy to Berbatov rather then others. As someone who was never particularly fast, but had a good first touch and a decent head for a pass. I just aprpeciate that type of player more.

The football world will supply us with dozens and dozens of Suarez's and Agueros, but it won't bring something like a Berbatov or Ibrahimovic along too often.

I'm not saying Berbatov is better btw, as that might be something you've totally misread. I'm saying I prefer that style of striker, and as players, would prefer watching smoeone like Berbatov or Ibrahimovic.

Probably some bias on my part that Bergkamp is my favourite player of all time, and someone that was a prety big inspiration when I started playing outfield.

the sheer frustration of watching a berba or ibra though. When the going gets tough they go missing and that's why I could never favour that style of player. Tight game or when things are going against you, a suarez/aguero have the pace and ability to do something out of nothing

the sheer frustration of watching a berba or ibra though. When the going gets tough they go missing and that's why I could never favour that style of player. Tight game or when things are going against you, a suarez/aguero have the pace and ability to do something out of nothing

And then they do something that really very few people in world football can do, and you forget all about anything and appreciate a moment of pure magic.

There are very few instances where I've been mesmerized by Suarez or Aguero, some good goals sure but for some reason they don't really get me overly excited.

The misconception is when the going gets tough they go missing. What actually happens is there team are under pressure, and look for an outball which a player like them doesn't provide.

And in a certain respect they do get frustrated with team mates, and its because they see the game nearly in a totally different light to the rest.

Its a valid criticism I think and has nothing to do with Sky pundits.

Saurez, Benzema and Aguero are also phenomenal they were just blessed with pace/power or both as well.

I feel it is, because I don't know how anyone can genuinely criticise Ibrahimovic, unless their football world revolves around England and England only. Which is fair enough, they see him once in a blue moon and he hasn't done much.

But then you look at his week to week, his goalscoring record and it's fantastic. Very few strikers have kept the level of goals he has season on season, for such a period, in the last what, ten years?

Seven consecutive seasons scoring 20+

2001 since he last scored less then 10 goals.

It has nothing to do with the style of player tbh Bergkamp for instance had no problem doing his stuff when it mattered. At the end of the day Zlatan and Berba just havn't hit the heights they could have.

Both are arguably more gifted than Messi and Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with the style of player tbh Bergkamp for instance had no problem doing his stuff when it mattered. At the end of the day Zlatan and Berba just havn't hit the heights they could have.

Both are arguable more gifted than Messi and Ronaldo.

Always seems to be down to attitude. Ibrahimovic will claim he has nothing to prove, yet hes never won a champions league afaik, which is shocking for someone like him, in the teams he played in.

I feel it is, because I don't know how anyone can genuinely criticise Ibrahimovic, unless their football world revolves around England and England only. Which is fair enough, they see him once in a blue moon and he hasn't done much.

But then you look at his week to week, his goalscoring record and it's fantastic. Very few strikers have kept the level of goals he has season on season, for such a period, in the last what, ten years?

Seven consecutive seasons scoring 20+

2001 since he last scored less then 10 goals.

He's never showed up in the knock out stages of the Champions League for instance. Of course you can genuinely criticise him :confused:.
    He was disappointing at Barca, there are many reason/excuses for this but he disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

You are far too romantic TheDoc.....too romantic for your own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd rather a player like Aguero or Suarez anyday. Suarez is even a different player to Aguero, Suarez has that bit more game intelligence, whereas Aguero is a cold as ice finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I was in Old Trafford for the Inter Milan tie in the Champions League in Mourinhos first year in charge. I think it was 2008 (Just checked - it was March 2009). Nobody could get the ball of either Berba or Zlatan. Neither actually created anything of note on the evening, but from a purely footballing sense they were the best two players on the pitch. We won 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

It is at this time of year that I like to remind fellow football fans without children just how much easier they have it than the rest of us. I missed the game last night because we were at the local fireworks display / turning on of the Xmas tree lights. I had managed to schedule the kids trip to see Santa for 13 December so that I could go for a beer during the Liverpool match, only to be told today that we have been invited to a kids Xmas party on 14 December. Allegedly I must go because the folks who invited us came a long way (20 miles) to our 3 year olds birthday party 2 weeks ago, guess who won't be getting an invite next year!

So to all those without kids I wish you a merry football filled Xmas, because it appears I won't get to see 5 minutes of Utd before the New Year.

Herself has now informed me that I am now required to go and look at nursery schools for our 3 year old next Monday night so I will also now miss the Southampton game as well.

Anyone on the lookout for a wife and 2 gorgeous kids (they look like the wife, not me thank goodness) at a competitive price? Discount available if you buy before 8pm Monday 8 December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Call me crazy all you want, but they are the type of player I connect with much more then the dreary pace machines that dominate the game now.

You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    You're crazy
    CRAZY!!!

Hi Dan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Never liked Berbatov at all and scoring against and costing United a league has still not stopped Aguero from being one of my favourite players in the world to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Herself has now informed me that I am now required to go and look at nursery schools for our 3 year old next Monday night so I will also now miss the Southampton game as well.

Anyone on the lookout for a wife and 2 gorgeous kids (they look like the wife, not me thank goodness) at a competitive price? Discount available if you buy before 8pm Monday 8 December!

Any return and refund policy? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On that note which player is the least favourite player to ever play for the club?

When at the club it would be Bosnich or Richardson

After they left Tevez was enemy no1

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Any return and refund policy? :D

As this is a black market transaction I can confirm that your consumer rights will not apply, however I will throw in a crate of beer and earplugs if that would sweeten the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I hated Barthez with a passion. Valencia got close over the last few years, but nobody got me fizzing at the sight of him like Barthez.

I hated Barthez with a passion. Valencia got close over the last few years, but nobody got me fizzing at the sight of him like Barthez.

I can see why alright.

Nobody quiet made a error the way The Baldy Goalie did.

Oh and Andy Gorman...

I know it was only a game or two but my God.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Valencia does still work hard though. He'll never be the player he was before he broke his ankle but if there's one player you can guarantee will put in a massive shift every game, it's Tony V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

thelad95 wrote: »
    Valencia does still work hard though. He'll never be the player he was before he broke his ankle but if there's one player you can guarantee will put in a massive shift every game, it's Tony V.
    He's been useless for three seasons as a winger. Can't cross, can't beat a man. Was in receipt of some bizarre favouratism in contrast to other players all over the pitch. He just kept. Getting. Picked. The last three weeks are the first time I've been satisfied with his performance in an aeon in footballing terms. My patience was long spent with him, and then he dished out some more to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Valencia's best form CAME AFTER HIS INJURY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Valencia's best form CAME AFTER HIS INJURY!!!

For me, he was a beast for us before that injury and was a shadow of himself afterwards IMO. It definitely looked like it had a physical and mental effect on the guy, he hasn't possessed the same burst of acceleration and confidence of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me, he was a beast for us before that injury and was a shadow of himself afterwards IMO. It definitely looked like it had a physical and mental effect on the guy, he hasn't possessed the same burst of acceleration and confidence of old.
    disagree. He was brilliant in the 11/12 season - his best season imo. has regressed a lot since then, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He had that season where he swept up the awards show and rightly so after the injury. Then he got the 7 jersey after that and we all know what happened after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

POTY 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2144534/Manchester-United-end-season-awards-Antonio-Valencia-wins-player-year.html

Injury 2010

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/462909-manchester-united-v-rangers-antonio-valencias-leg-break-in-pictures-and-video

We should give the number 7 jersey to Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

The season Valencia was awarded the Sir Matt award. Jaysus he was feared back then. He man had the beating of pretty much everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

He was so feared back then they named a large Spanish city after him :D

• Advertisement

Pep called him the best winger at the time too.

Created debate but shows the form he was in.

His goal at Blackburn. God, it was so good. :)

madcabbage wrote: »
    His goal at Blackburn. God, it was so good. :)

Can't find it on YouTube anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

This it?

burrenguy wrote: »
    This it?

Valenciaaaaaa! Christ, Martin Tyler was on a roll that season with this and that other fella we won't dare mention in this room!

I miss that Valencia.

• Advertisement

madcabbage wrote:
    Valenciaaaaaa! Christ, Martin Tyler was on a roll that season with this and that other fella we won't dare mention in this room!

Who Nani ? NANI !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Off topic but as much as I hope Moyes is a success, as part owner of his opponents in the Spanish cup I'll be cheering against him.

Ahhhh Valencia.

Back when we weren't a mid table club

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

madcabbage wrote: »
    The season Valencia was awarded the Sir Matt award. Jaysus he was feared back then. He man had the beating of pretty much everyone.

Against Chelsea that year he tore Cole to shreds despite Cole constantly trying to block him on his right. What happened to him? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jesus H Christ.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement