Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

madcabbage wrote: »
    His goal at Blackburn. God, it was so good. :)

7,000 united fans in that Darwin stand that night, it was sheer Bedlem in there.

Ewood Park is the best away ground in the league, tis an awful pity they are gone down. lost Bolton and Wigan too in the space of 12 months, the 3 biggest away allocations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

KH25 wrote: »
    Against Chelsea that year he tore Cole to shreds despite Cole constantly trying to block him on his right. What happened to him? :(

And against Barcelona that year he was totally ineffectual and choked on the biggest stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

7,000 united fans in that Darwin stand that night, it was sheer Bedlem in there.

Ewood Park is the best away ground in the league, tis an awful pity they are gone down. lost Bolton and Wigan too in the space of 12 months, the 3 biggest away allocations.

Villa Park was my favourite until few years ago. Used to have behind the goals like Edwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oh and Andy Gorman...

I know he was only a player or two but my God.....

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

padd b1975 wrote: »
    FYP.

Only 2 Andy Gorams!!

He's been useless for three seasons as a winger. Can't cross, can't beat a man. Was in receipt of some bizarre favouratism in contrast to other players all over the pitch. He just kept. Getting. Picked.

Randomly, here is a post of mine from 2 years ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82270664&postcount=4334
    The big concern for me is not that Valencia is on a bad run of form, but that actually defenders have totally figured him out.

I got jumped upon for that, but I think time has shown it to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I still think its a incorrect conclusion to come to though, how would he have evaded managers and defenders "figuring him out" in all of his previous seasons in the country, both at United and at Wigan. They knew what he was going to do, they always knew what he was going to do, they just couldn't stop him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

It's not very random if you look for, and find the post yourself tbh.

Also, a quick glance at the thread shows only one person responding to your post, I'd hardly call that being "jumped upon".
    kryogen wrote: »
    I still think its a incorrect conclusion to come to though, how would he have evaded managers and defenders "figuring him out" in all of his previous seasons in the country, both at United and at Wigan. They knew what he was going to do, they always knew what he was going to do, they just couldn't stop him.

Well that's easy, the Premier League Defenders Union obviously passed around the "How to stop Antonio Valencia" booklet, duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Jaysus. How hard was it to find a post like that in the amount of posts this threa goes through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I'm still not convinced. If defenders have figured out Valencia surely they would have done the same with Robben for instance. He does the same thing every time but yet not many can stop it.

It's not very random if you look for, and find the post yourself tbh.

Also, a quick glance at the thread shows only one person responding to your post, I'd hardly call that being "jumped upon".

What a strange response. I randomly remembered it after the posts about Valencia on the last page and decided to look for it. And one person jumped on it, so what?
    Jaysus. How hard was it to find a post like that in the amount of posts this threa goes through?

I just searched for all posts by me that included the word Valencia. Took about 30 seconds.

Blue giant wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced. If defenders have figured out Valencia surely they would have done the same with Robben for instance. He does the same thing every time but yet not many can stop it.

Robben hadn't lost any pace. Watching him in the last WC he's still lighting fast for a man that's nearly thirty. Even if he does do the same thing time and time again its his sheer pace that gets him past the defender. Valencia however has looked sluggish the last 2 years. IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I disagree. As was said at the time, Valencia was in the league several years before that great second half to the 11/12 season. He would have been found out long before for only having one foot. He destroyed a peak Ashley Cole in games, who you can be damn sure would've known that Valencia only used his right foot going into those games.

He also had a history back then of going through patches of average form but it always picked up eventally, like most players. Until one time it didn't pick up and he essentially did a 'Torres'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The only explanation for Valencia I can think of is he caught the Torres.

He is still probably the quickest player in the league but I can't remember the last time he used it to terrorise a full back

It really is a pity

There multiplying....

0JYkFrp.jpg

Well I don't entirely subscribe to the idea that because he was in the league 6/7 seasons that every club would already have him sussed. Easy to think of Premier league clubs as leaving no detail uncovered but there are still plenty of examples of big clubs acting like small clubs. Does the Fulham left back have a dossier on the current Wigan wingers? Maybe, maybe not.

So its not a stretch to think that the higher profile that came with good performances at United also brought higher scrutiny from the other teams. Most seem to disagree which is fine, but in my opinion the higher profile brought a higher scrutiny, one which the horribly one-footed Valencia was not able to adapt to. His confidence dropped and years later we have what we have now.

Which was my original point I guess, it amused me that two years ago we were talking about his horrible form as still being a run of form. Two years later nothing really has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I think comparing Valencia and Torres is very apt. There's no real reason for him to be so bad. I mean his crossing has gone shockingly bad. He just fires it low and hard 99% of the time. This from a man who used to put in lovely crosses on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He is still probably the quickest player in the league but I can't remember the last time he used it to terrorise a full back

It really is a pity

He seems to be too indecisive now. Instead of just running at the defender immediately and knocking it past him, he does this stop and go thing where he doesn't know whether to go inside or out or turn back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think comparing Valencia and Torres is very apt. There's no real reason for him to be so bad. I mean his crossing has gone shockingly bad. He just fires it low and hard 99% of the time. This from a man who used to put in lovely crosses on a consistent basis.

Yep, he used to know when to drill it low, when to loft it to the back post etc. Now it's just head down and cross randomly. Usually a low drill to nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He used to always do this though, the difference was the defender was usually 5 yards behind him or on his arse so he would get the cross in

Now the defender is beside him and Valencia kicks it off him

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Robben hadn't lost any pace. Watching him in the last WC he's still lighting fast for a man that's nearly thirty. Even if he does do the same thing time and time again its his sheer pace that gets him past the defender. Valencia however has looked sluggish the last 2 years. IMO

Valencia still has pace to burn, Robben has excellent red blood cells alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Productive evening in work...

Video is private.

Valencia still has pace to burn, Robben has excellent red blood cells alright :)

Hmm maybe sluggish wasn't the right word, but indecisive. UnitedIrishman got it spot on.
    I would love to see if full stretch on the counter attack just him and Rooney for aguments sake.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I would love to see if full stretch on the counter attack just him and Rooney for aguments sake.

We both know he would just freeze in a situation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Video is private.

He has a right to privacy ya know...

Maybe, hasn't shown it in quite a while. Ya gotta wonder what's happened to the lad? Confidence gone?

Rooney can be very fast as well, as much as rival fans and the media would like you to not believe.

He has a right to privacy ya know...

Will and I share nothing. He is also a re reg of myself.

• Advertisement

Video is private.

Is it working now?

Is it working now?

Part of me wishes it wasn't :pac:

Whatever that fella who made that video was on, I want some of that! :pac:

Maybe, hasn't shown it in quite a while. Ya gotta wonder what's happened to the lad? Confidence gone?

He showed it in some game last season, remember the gifs after where he runs through a couple of guys and they explode or something, I am sure he has probably displayed his fantastic pace at some point this season also but I wouldn't be able to give you an example right now.

Its not his pace is the issue, its the ips basically, to me its all in his head, he is too indecisive now.

Is it working now?

Jesus Christ will.

You need to post this after we beat Liverpool.

Part of me wishes it wasn't :pac:

Awwwh man, it's a thing of beauty.

He showed it in some game last season, remember the gifs after where he runs through a couple of guys and they explode or something, I am sure he has probably displayed his fantastic pace at some point this season also but I wouldn't be able to give you an example right now.

Its not his pace is the issue, its the ips basically, to me its all in his head, he is too indecisive now.

Ya it's infuriating to watch him square up to a full back and then not make a descisive move, it's too much stop/start. Raw explosive power is what the man needs again! #BeastModeOn!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

He used to always do this though, the difference was the defender was usually 5 yards behind him or on his arse so he would get the cross in

Now the defender is beside him and Valencia kicks it off him

But he changed it up a lot too. He lofted in high balls a fair bit. Far post crosses. Now it's just all aimless lashes at the ball. It baffles me. It's as if he's forgotten some secret he knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney can be very fast as well, as much as rival fans and the media would like you to not believe.

Don't know, I can't see him getting into the Liverpool team for instance :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

wIt7HbBhrz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

On that note which player is the least favourite player to ever play for the club?

When at the club it would be Bosnich or Richardson

After they left Tevez was enemy no1

Paul Ince

Liam O wrote: »
    Don't know, I can't see him getting into the Liverpool team for instance :rolleyes:

Maybe just Dave so. Migs is a bit off form.

David De God with the save of the universe...

https://twitter.com/Unitedology/status/540597781854187520?s=08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

On that note which player is the least favourite player to ever play for the club?

When at the club it would be Bosnich or Richardson

After they left Tevez was enemy no1

I could never take to Heinze, though it's entirely possible that that opinion was tainted by him wanting to go down the road when he was leaving United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I could never take to Heinze, though it's entirely possible that that opinion was tainted by him wanting to go down the road when he was leaving United.

I can't have been the only one who watched through my fingers in fear when I saw he was lining up for a slide tackle

I loved heinze. Hated silvestre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I loved heinze. Hated silvestre

Hated Silvestre? The man was a bit dodge at times but had some great seasons at LB and oddly one really good season at CB. Heinze was ok for us, likable at times for certain fans cas he got "stuck in".

Any defender who scored two versus the Pool is liked over one who apparently wanted to move there n my eyes/

Each to their own.

Heinze was an absolute warrior for us, it's a shame how his exit went but I loved him when he was here.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Hated Silvestre? The man was a bit dodge at times but had some great seasons at LB and oddly one really good season at CB. Heinze was ok for us, likable at times for certain fans cas he got "stuck in".

Any defender who scored two versus the Pool is liked over one who apparently wanted to move there n my eyes/

Each to their own.

I remember silvestre having a few howlers though, he never liked defending cornor kicks the poor lad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement