Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The papers once again linking us with Benzema,the only problem with Aguero being out is that City might go for him-not sure how FFP would allow them but I'm sure they'd find a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

zerks wrote: »
    The papers once again linking us with Benzema,the only problem with Aguero being out is that City might go for him-not sure how FFP would allow them but I'm sure they'd find a way.

You can also add that Madrid won't be selling so you won't have to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

About five posts up.

And no, he doesn't.

It's a bit early to tell who offers more in that DM position but from what I have seen so far:

Blind:
    Quicker passer of the ball
    More mobile
    More comfortable receiving the ball when under pressure
    Needs less time on the ball
    More aggressive forward passer

Carrick:
    Better positionally
    very safe
    Physically stronger
    More arial ability
    Hugely experienced

As Carrick gets older(33 now) we will probably see him phased out with blind getting more game time too.

As it stands I think we are lucky to have two very competent players for the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Quandary wrote: »
    It's a bit early to tell who offers more in that DM position but from what I have seen so far:

Blind:
    Quicker passer of the ball
    More mobile
    More comfortable receiving the ball when under pressure
    Needs less time on the ball
    More aggressive forward passer

Carrick:
    Better positionally
    very safe
    Physically stronger
    More arial ability
    Hugely experienced

As Carrick gets older(33 now) we will probably see him phased out with blind getting more game time too.

As it stands I think we are lucky to have two very competent players for the position.

Does it have to be one or the other though? Couldn't it because a case of 2 from 3 with Fellaini being rotated also? Blind likes to get forward on occasion too

Does it have to be one or the other though? Couldn't it because a case of 2 from 3 with Fellaini being rotated also? Blind likes to get forward on occasion too

I hadn't really given it much thought but Carrick and Blind might be interesting together alright.

It feels weird actually having some good options in the middle of the park for us. I've always felt that our success in the latter years of Fergie's tenure was achieved despite our weak midfield!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

RobertKK wrote: »
    I agree, 10% chance, just look at our team now compared to 12 months ago.
    Fantasy stuff, but I don't believe this will happen.

<2% chance . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Why do some think we still have a leaky defense?

The last six games and goals conceded:

Chelsea 3
    United 4
    Southampton 5
    Swansea 5
    West Ham 6
    Man City 6
    Liverpool 6
    Everton 6
    Arsenal 7
    Spurs 8

Yet the talk by some people is how our defense is poor, yes we need someone world class brought in, but in the last 6 games only Chelsea were better.

Goals scored in the last 6 games (same teams):

Man City 13
    Chelsea 10
    United 9
    Arsenal 8
    Swansea 7
    West Ham 7
    Spurs 7
    Liverpool 6
    Everton 5
    Southampton 5

Goal difference for the last 6 PL games:

Man City 7
    Chelsea 7
    United 5
    Swansea 2
    West Ham 1
    Arsenal 1
    Southampton 0
    Liverpool 0
    Everton -1
    Spurs -1

We are up there with the top 2, if we can start scoring more, then all the better, but as Van Gaal said, we just need to score more than the other team in every game.

City couldn't have had a worse time for the Aguero injury, never like seeing a player injured but it is very good news for Chelsea and ourselves, given the talent involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Because of eyes, or more to the point, because of the ability to see.

Arsenal could have scored 10, Stoke didn't even try that hard and should have had 3. Hull offered less than an atheist at mass. Lets not forget David De Gea making several key saves a game.

Do you actually think our defence is grand the way it is, or are you just having a moan?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Arsenal could have scored 10, Stoke didn't even try that hard and should have had 3. Hull offered less than an atheist at mass. Lets not forget David De Gea making several key saves a game.

Do you actually think our defence is grand the way it is, or are you just having a moan?

The goalkeeper is a part of the defense too though.

I did say in my previous post "yes we need someone world class brought in".

But for a supposedly leaky defense we are second best in least goals conceded by those in the top half of the table for previous 6 games. For the season our defense is in the top 5 for least goals conceded.

I would say I am not having a moan but showing what one may see and perceive is not always the case, and you are having a moan at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We still don't even have a fucking defense, or did you miss the two wingers playing full back recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Who would be the top choice of CB to bring in ?
    I think we really need a leader at the back-someone who will be vocal and can organise the other's around him.A big problem imo is lack of leadership at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Arsenal could have scored a bunch but I think it's to the defenses credit they didn't. Not many clear opportunity's bar Wilshere. I think the system being played leads to better defending more than the personnel and Di Maria moving out wide stunted the attack more than anything. Got some good results out of it but seeing how they played against Hull I'd like to think it will click in attack soon.

We still don't even have a fucking defense, or did you miss the two wingers playing full back recently?

Was it a disaster last game with Young in defense???? Is it due to him having been a winger he can't be a defender as well?
    Evra said he started out as a striker...
    Young can play left or right, but I don't think Rafael or Shaw could have done more in the previous game like being in the right position to make sure we didn't concede when he cleared off the line.
    People can ignore the stats, but the stats coincide with the rise up the table, De Gea has been by far our best player, but we shouldn't be so dismissive of other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Out of the top 4 again. Make it right tomorrow night please god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Rafael has travelled with the squad for Monday's game. Good to have him back.

A win tomorrow takes us to 3rd in the league. Big game for us. If we can take all 3 points the confidence will be sky high going into the Liverpool match. Not to mention the Pool will have had to deal with the Basle match midweek.

This time next week IF results go our way we could be in a very very healthy position!

People can ignore the stats, but the stats coincide with the rise up the table, De Gea has been by far our best player, but we shouldn't be so dismissive of other players.

Have all the stats you want, but when Rafael, Jones, Shaw, Evans and all the rest are fit I would prefer them back in the team.

McNair, Young, Valencia, they are not our defense, they are just guys doing a job. There is little benefit in judging our defense until our real defense is actually on the field.

Have all the stats you want, but when Rafael, Jones, Shaw, Evans and all the rest are fit I would prefer them back in the team.

McNair, Young, Valencia, they are not our defense, they are just guys doing a job. There is little benefit in judging our defense until our real defense is actually on the field.

But that is not a point I was arguing, it was just the stats as they presented themselves.

First 6 games:

Conceded 9
    Scored 11.

Our supposedly easy start...just a +2 goal difference

Stats above include the games against City, Chelsea and Arsenal and we have a +5 goal difference

We all want those players back, I am not sure Rojo will be dropped unless for rotation purposes around Christmas.
    Then Smalling apart form that City game has not done too much wrong. Maybe it will be 5-3-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

But that is not a point I was arguing, it was just the stats as they presented themselves.

First 6 games:

Conceded 9
    Scored 11.

Our supposedly easy start...just a +2 goal difference

Stats above include the games against City, Chelsea and Arsenal and we have a +5 goal difference

We all want those players back, I am not sure Rojo will be dropped unless for rotation purposes around Christmas.
    Then Smalling apart form that City game has not done too much wrong. Maybe it will be 5-3-2

Those stats don't tell even half the story. We were backs against the wall for most of the City and Arsenal games, De gea made some absolutely outstanding saves to keep us in these games and we should have conceded a penalty against City only for some poor refereeing and Stoke were clean through a few times only for fluffing their lines did we survive (Stoke iirc were gifted a few one on ones courtesy of our defence btw) Arsenal were clean through a number of times too, I don't agree that game stayed as low scoring as it did a credit to the defence. The defence was good at times in that game but equally as bad at other times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Rafael has travelled with the squad for Monday's game. Good to have him back.

Will never forget his form in 2012-13, he was a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

thelad95 wrote: »
    Will never forget his form in 2012-13, he was a beast.

That goal against QPR is awesome. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Aye Rafa had a great year that year, but he's been too inconsistent this season and has become injury prone. If things don't change I can see him being replaced in the summer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Aye Rafa had a great year that year, but he's been too inconsistent this season and has become injury prone. If things don't change I can see him being replaced in the summer.

Wouldn't mind Coleman coming in if that were the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

zerks wrote: »
    Richard Keys tweeting that Aguero could be gone for the season,his ACL is done.

Without his firepower,City could be catchable,shame for him though,I actually like watching him play.

Feel sorry for him as well, but this is great news for us. Aguero FC is no more and he can't score against us when we play them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Robson99

yabadabado wrote: »
    Who would be the top choice of CB to bring in ?
    I think we really need a leader at the back-someone who will be vocal and can organise the other's around him.A big problem imo is lack of leadership at the back.

Would like to see us get Godin or Chilleni. Two strong hard no nonsense centre half. However if we are going to give Jones a chance to establish himself then its a ball playing centre half we need and that would be Hummels

• Advertisement

Haven't seen much of nick Powell recently but him not getting into the Leicester team doesn't bode well for his Manchester United future.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The weekend is going very slow

FFS hurry up Monday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would like Coleman but i wouldn't mind Clyne he looks top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Tomorrow is the biggest match for the club in awhile. A victory puts us 7 clear of Liverpool and with them having a tough midweek game i think we will beat them Sunday putting a huge gap between us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I don't know why we didn't get Clyne 2 years ago when he was being linked to us. Given his age, nationality and progression, he's going to cost a lot more now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Keno wrote: »
    I don't know why we didn't get Clyne 2 years ago when he was being linked to us. Given his age, nationality and progression, he's going to cost a lot more now.

I suppose he wasn't tested at PL level at the time and the form and potential of Rafael meant a wait-and-see approach would be the way to go with Clyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Keno wrote: »

It was supposidly a done deal and we pulled out of it.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the biggest match for the club in awhile. A victory puts us 7 clear of Liverpool and with them having a tough midweek game i think we will beat them Sunday putting a huge gap between us.

Time for a bit of Kev.

keegan-love-it-o.gif

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would like Coleman but i wouldn't mind Clyne he looks top class.

Would cost a fortune now to get Coleman or Clyne and neither are any better than Rafael.Rafa needs to regain form/fitness but if he does he is as good as anyone in the league.
    I would prefer to see a young RB come in as back up.

It only a matter of time before Rafael is out injured again.

That is my only problem with him, he is very brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

It only a matter of time before Rafael is out injured again.

That is my only problem with him, he is very brittle.

Yeah. I love raf. He's a smashing player. But the injuries are a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I suppose he wasn't tested at PL level at the time and the form and potential of Rafael meant a wait-and-see approach would be the way to go with Clyne.

The price I read he went for was around £2.5m. Rafael was known at the time as having problems with injuries, and we had no natural backup to him (we still don't). Missed opportunity.

If Rafael was like Evra regarding injuries, I wouldn't really mind. He's a great player, but he can go down at any point in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would cost a fortune now to get Coleman or Clyne and neither are any better than Rafael.Rafa needs to regain form/fitness but if he does he is as good as anyone in the league.
    I would prefer to see a young RB come in as back up.

They are both streets ahead of Rafael, Rafael is a liability, a weakness in our team that needs to be replaced. Of course this is just my opinion but one that I believe LVG share's

They are both streets ahead of Rafael, Rafael is a liability, a weakness in our team that needs to be replaced. Of course this is just my opinion but one that I believe LVG share's
    you honestly believe both are streets ahead of him?
    Fitness is Rafa's downfall ,if he could stay fit for a full season he is as good as anyone else in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That loss to Leicester still galls. They are a poor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

i think Clyne is very good and just slightly better than Rafael. Coleman is obviously very good but I rate Rafael just above. Clyne is very very good and still only 23

I think what really highlights how poor Rafa has been recently is when Valencia plays there and isn't much worse.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Aidric wrote: »
    That loss to Leicester still galls. They are a poor side.

Fergies speech about cheating the manager really seems appropriate for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

People really overrate Coleman and really underrate Rafael here.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

What a load of nonsense.
    What possibly makes you think Van Gaal shares that opinion? Is it the fact he has picked Rafa for every game he has been available for? Granted you may say Rafa is the only real recognised RB we have, but he does have the "safe, "reliable" Valencia option, one he has never taken when Rafael has been available.

This idea of Rafael being a reckless liability is so outdated at this stage. Since that red against Bayern that he got (at the age of 19), I can only think of one very harsh red card he got against Spurs the following year, and one for a tackle on Luiz at Old Trafford when the league was already won, where to be honest I was happy to see him showing some passion in a game that could have been considered meaningless. (I'll admit I could be wrong here tho I'm trying to think of them off the top of my head).
    He is so much more calculated these days when going in for tackles, when he does slide in these days he is far more successful than earlier in his career. I remember a few weeks back against Chelsea he got booked very early on and you would have thought it was a dream scenario for Hazard, but despite the caution Rafa still kept Hazard quiet for the whole game after that, ( the one chance Hazard did create for himself that De Gea saved was when he came in central)

As for Coleman and Clyne both being streets ahead of him, that's just laughable to be honest. There may be some merits to arguing they are better players (though I don't agree with that), but to say that they are at a different level altogether as him is a joke to be honest.
    Clyne is relatively new to the scene and is still pretty unproven, could easily turn into another Lovren, looks good at this level but struggle big time with a step up. And for those highlighting his youth as an exciting positive for him, he only has about 9 months on Rafael.
    As for Coleman, very over-rated in my opinion, he makes plenty of defensive errors, they just don't get highlighted because he is with a smaller team, plus Irish (social) media obviously won't want to criticise one of our only decent prospects. Plus Coleman is easily as injury prone as Rafael is, so that argument is kind of irrelevant for comparing those 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

People really overrate Coleman and really underrate Rafael here.

People hugely overrate him if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

KH25 wrote: »
    Fergies speech about cheating the manager really seems appropriate for them.
    MOTD actually highlighted the very next game after the United match that they were very poor, can't remember who they lost to, but the team covered on average almost 2km less each than they did the previous week against United.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I think what really highlights how poor Rafa has been recently is when Valencia plays there and isn't much worse.

Utter rubbish.

• Advertisement

MOTD actually highlighted the very next game after the United match that they were very poor, can't remember who they lost to, but the team covered on average almost 2km less each than they did the previous week against United.

I remember seeing that. Just goes to show that a lot of the smaller teams could achieve far more if they applied themselves the same as they do for matches against bigger sides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement