Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Aidric wrote: »
    That loss to Leicester still galls. They are a poor side.

Don't forget Swansea on the first day of the season.
    That was probably just as bad when you consider home form since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Quandary wrote: »
    It's a bit early to tell who offers more in that DM position but from what I have seen so far:

Blind:
    Quicker passer of the ball
    More mobile
    More comfortable receiving the ball when under pressure
    Needs less time on the ball
    More aggressive forward passer

Carrick:
    Better positionally
    very safe
    Physically stronger
    More arial ability
    Hugely experienced

As Carrick gets older(33 now) we will probably see him phased out with blind getting more game time too.

As it stands I think we are lucky to have two very competent players for the position.

Ehh, blind is not a more aggressive fwd passer. Carrick gets slack for the odd sidewards pass but Blind is more guilty of it imo

Early days in his career at united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

KH25 wrote:
    I remember seeing that. Just goes to show that a lot of the smaller teams could achieve far more if they applied themselves the same as they do for matches against bigger sides.

Yep. You just know Pool will raise there game next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

KH25 wrote: »
    Fergies speech about cheating the manager really seems appropriate for them.

Huh??? What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Utter rubbish.

How so? Valencia isn't a natural right back yet he was no worse than Rafa. When Rafa has played he's been inconsistent and has only started 40% of the games which isn't good enough. If this continues he may be replaced in the summer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    Yep. You just know Pool will raise there game next weekend.

Aye, don't forget It's their cup final on Sunday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    How so? Valencia isn't a natural right back yet he was no worse than Rafa. When Rafa has played he's been inconsistent and has only started 40% of the games which isn't good enough. If this continues he may be replaced in the summer.

40% of the games this season?

If so, it's just twisting stats to suit your agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Huh??? What did he say?

About 18 years ago :)

Leeds United cheating their manager by rolling over to Newcastle and raising their game v United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Unearthly wrote: »

Leeds United cheating their manager by rolling over to Newcastle and raising their game v United

Cheating the manager, and their fans

I've been heavily critical of Valencia in the past, but he's played the wing back role very well defensively speaking.

• Advertisement

Oh yes. Sorry. Thought it was recent.

Yeah that's annoying alright. The lower teams always try to put in extra effort against utd. Great testament to fergie of how he dealt with that.

And Liverpool are the worst for it as well. They could play crap and lose 3 0 to hull tomorrow and next week they will win 2-1 against utd.

I've been heavily critical of Valencia in the past, but he's played the wing back role very well defensively speaking.

It suits him far more than being a winger. Can play it more cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Don't forget Swansea on the first day of the season.
    That was probably just as bad when you consider home form since then.

At least Swansea are in the top half of the league. Leicester holding the rest up, they got 3 of their 10 points against us, 30% of their points...
    3-1 up and to lose 5-3 to Leicester, not Chelsea or City...
    It is something quite sickening to think of...

40% of the games this season?

If so, it's just twisting stats to suit your agenda

I'm not twisting anything mate, if he comes back and plays 10 games in a row then brilliant, but I'd be surprised if he does.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fa cup draw tomorrow. It's been too long since an Fa cup win. It would complement a return to champions league very nicely.

Here's hoping for a Chelsea type road to the final

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would love a small team we can utterly destroy for fun :P

When will the first matches be?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Quandary wrote: »
    It's a bit early to tell who offers more in that DM position but from what I have seen so far:

Blind:
    Quicker passer of the ball
    More mobile
    More comfortable receiving the ball when under pressure
    Needs less time on the ball
    More aggressive forward passer

Carrick:
    Better positionally
    very safe
    Physically stronger
    More arial ability
    Hugely experienced

As Carrick gets older(33 now) we will probably see him phased out with blind getting more game time too.

As it stands I think we are lucky to have two very competent players for the position.

id like to think carrick has the same effect on me as he does on the utd players,Im always confident well control the game more when he plays and if its a close game theres no better player to start in midfield for us

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

You'd expect that from your rivals though. The last thing Leeds fans would want is United winning a league thanks to them. Liverpool did something similar too in 2010.

Remember Gerrard's back-pass/assist to Drogba against Chelsea. That combined with Liverpool not even trying handed the league to Chelsea. Ended up losing the league by a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Louis van Gaal has told Radamel Falcao that he must put up with being a substitute at #mufc. [guardian]

Daily Mail seem to be reporting something similar too

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would love a small team we can utterly destroy for fun :P

When will the first matches be?

Someone small like mk dons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Aye, don't forget It's their cup final on Sunday.

I hate this bollix tbh. Utd will raise their game too. They are both each other's biggest "rivals".

adox wrote: »
    I hate this bollix tbh. Utd will raise their game too. They are both each other's biggest "rivals".

Why comment then?

They done this for years though, especially under Rafa Benitez. Run themselves into the ground and got a result against us only to go out and lose to a team like wigan the following week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The most important thing is retaining our international champions cup next weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

wadacrack wrote: »
    i think Clyne is very good and just slightly better than Rafael. Coleman is obviously very good but I rate Rafael just above. Clyne is very very good and still only 23

Rafa is less than a year older than Clyne,I think people forget how young Rafa is.I havent seen Clyne do anything that made me think that he is better than Rafa.

Why would you jinx us like that....classic rex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Get out of my head, lol :P I'd love for us to come up against a small team like mk dons cuz now LVG knows his players and which formation and style suits everyone so it would be a fun game to watch

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why would you jinx us like that....classic rex

Let's hope for no injuries tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What is it with some players once they get branded something once they are always branded it by some people.

A perfect example Lucas had a shaky start for Liverpool and was laughed at, then he became the best dm in the league before his injury yet people still called him useless.

Rafael got sent off at 19 against a world class player and people always bring this up to say he is reckless. He is no more reckless than any of our defenders. He has matured greatly a perfect example Chelsea on a yellow for 80 minutes against the best winger in the league and didn't put a foot wrong.

Anybody who wants to say they are fed up with him being injury prone fair enough but people who constantly say he is reckless are just the same people with lazy opinions who refuse to acknowledge somebody has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I can't understand anyone not rating Rafael having watched him play a few times. He's clearly a very good fullback.

Pointing to his injury record as a reason to replace him is totally valid, but his ability is not in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I can't understand anyone not rating Rafael having watched him play a few times. He's clearly a very good fullback.

Pointing to his injury record as a reason to replace him is totally valid, but his ability is not in doubt.

A lot of it is just recycled from the people who watch 4 or 5 United games a season and think that they can give an opinion with more basis than the people who watch them every week. Rafael is reckless, Rooney is poor, Shaw isn't as good as he was last season, Fellaini is rubbish etc. I was with a friend in the pub the other day and he was saying Rojo doesn't look good. I'm the first to criticise a United player not playing well but it's infuriating trying to argue with some of these opinions that have no basis.

Let's hope for no injuries tomorrow.

Your a pro :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What is it with some players once they get branded something once they are always branded it by some people.

A perfect example Lucas had a shaky start for Liverpool and was laughed at, then he became the best dm in the league before his injury yet people still called him useless.

Rafael got sent off at 19 against a world class player and people always bring this up to say he is reckless. He is no more reckless than any of our defenders. He has matured greatly a perfect example Chelsea on a yellow for 80 minutes against the best winger in the league and didn't put a foot wrong.

Anybody who wants to say they are fed up with him being injury prone fair enough but people who constantly say he is reckless are just the same people with lazy opinions who refuse to acknowledge somebody has changed.

I like Rafael and think its ridiculous that people are talking about Clyne to replace him. As was mentioned a few posts above they are only a year apart. If Rafael was playing for Southampton everyone here would be wanting United to sign him.

But I don't think there's any denying that Rafael can be reckless. The bolded bit above is actually a perfect example of the opposite to what you are trying to make out. Fair enough he went 80 mins without getting a second yellow, but go back and look at the actual incident where he got the yellow card. Was a completely stupid yellow card to pick up so early in the game vs the best winger in the league.

Liam O wrote: »
    A lot of it is just recycled from the people who watch 4 or 5 United games a season and think that they can give an opinion with more basis than the people who watch them every week. Rafael is reckless, Rooney is poor, Shaw isn't as good as he was last season, Fellaini is rubbish etc. I was with a friend in the pub the other day and he was saying Rojo doesn't look good. I'm the first to criticise a United player not playing well but it's infuriating trying to argue with some of these opinions that have no basis.

Just seen somebody a few pages back saying Clyne is streets ahead of Rafael this really confirms your point. I am sure the poster has seen Clyne play a handful of times.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    I like Rafael and think its ridiculous that people are talking about Clyne to replace him. As was mentioned a few posts above they are only a year apart. If Rafael was playing for Southampton everyone here would be wanting United to sign him.

But I don't think there's any denying that Rafael can be reckless. The bolded bit above is actually a perfect example of the opposite to what you are trying to make out. Fair enough he went 80 mins without getting a second yellow, but go back and look at the actual incident where he got the yellow card. Was a completely stupid yellow card to pick up so early in the game vs the best winger in the league.

Defenders pick up silly yellows all the time especially attacking full backs who are more likely to get caught out of position a bit more.

The thing to take from that incident is the Rafael from years ago would not have shown the discipline he did.

He sat back done his job defended well and went against his natural instinct of bombing forward. It was the complete opposite of what a reckless liability would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Defenders pick up silly yellows all the time especially attacking full backs who are more likely to get caught out of position a bit more.

The thing to take from that incident is the Rafael from years ago would not have shown the discipline he did.

He sat back done his job defended well and went against his natural instinct of bombing forward. It was the complete opposite of what a reckless liability would have done.

He showed his recklessness getting the yellow card! Then he showed his experience not getting the 2nd.

Some players are reckless. Scholes was reckless and still a great player. Rafael is/can be reckless.

Edit: Just to add. There's a huge amount of defenders who don't pick up silly yellows all the time. Reckless defenders pick up silly yellows all the time. Also, the vast majority of Rafaels yellow cards have nothing to do with him being caught up the pitch or out of position, they are poorly timed or rash tackles.

• Advertisement

He showed his recklessness getting the yellow card! Then he showed his experience not getting the 2nd.

Some players are reckless. Scholes was reckless and still a great player. Rafael is/can be reckless.

Edit: Just to add. There's a huge amount of defenders who don't pick up silly yellows all the time. Reckless defenders pick up silly yellows all the time. Also, the vast majority of Rafaels yellow cards have nothing to do with him being caught up the pitch or out of position, they are poorly timed or rash tackles.

Just doing some calculations he averages a yellow every 4.5 games is this bad for an attacking full back maybe but i don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Wanyama's interviw on daily mail. Was a big fan of Keane and Scholes, now Rooney's.
    United are a team he relishes facing. Growing up in Nairobi, he dreamed of playing for them and it is a dream he still harbours. ‘My father Noah was a footballer and he used to talk as if he knew everything,’ he laughs. ‘He used to say “when you’ve been a footballer you can talk to me’’ so I thought that’s what I’ll become. It drove me.
    ‘United were my team. When their games were on we used to go to an old theatre where you had to pay to watch movies and then extra for United games. Sometimes they would stop the movies to show United’s match.
    ‘I had posters of Roy Keane and Paul Scholes on my wall. They were my favourite players who I wanted to be. If I could take anything from them maybe it would be Keane’s passion, his fire. I wanted to shake his hand after we played Aston Villa the other week but I didn’t find him. It’s a shame he has left.’
    Today Wanyama holds up Wayne Rooney as his favourite United player. ‘He is the best English player. He is strong, powerful, he has that anger that drives his team. He lifts them, sometimes carries them. The type of guy you would always want on your side.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If Rafael was playing for Southampton everyone here would be wanting United to sign him.

If Clyne had the injury history that Rafael has, everybody here would be saying steer clear, look at Hummels, number 1 on the list of players in for many of us not so long ago, people don't want to take a chance on him anymore.

I'd swap Rafael for Clyne right now without a second thought. Clyne is going all the way to the top IMO. If you're going to persist with a chronically injured RB you would want to have a damn good backup, Valencia isn't that, why not have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'd be confident that the people saying that Valencia has been doing well at RB are basing that opinion purely on the fact that United haven't conceded many goals, rather than watching him closely or knowing what a full-back doing his job well looks like.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd be confident that the people saying that Valencia has been doing well at RB are basing that opinion purely on the fact that United haven't conceded many goals, rather than watching him closely or knowing what a full-back doing his job well looks like.

Valencia has been steady in that position the last 2 or 3 games thankfully, but to say he highlights how poor Rafa is based on his contribution is slightly mad to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Some Louis quotes on Falcao and "momentum"....

Louis van Gaal has cast doubt over Radamel Falcao's long-term future at Manchester United by claiming he is "not interested" in the Colombian forward's reaction to being held back from first-team action at the club.
    Falcao, a loan signing from Monaco on the final day of the summer transfer window, has been told by Van Gaal that he will not start the Premier League game with Southampton at St Mary's on Monday night due to continuing efforts to improve his fitness following a cruciate ligament injury in January.
    Having paid a £6 million loan fee to secure the services of Falcao, United also agreed a £43.2m fee with Monaco over a permanent deal for the 28-year-old following the culmination of his season-long loan at Old Trafford. But with the former Porto and Atlético Madrid player being restricted to just three starts and four substitute appearances for United this season, with one goal in return, Falcao's inability to convince Van Gaal of his readiness to start games has raised the prospect of the club looking elsewhere for a new striker next summer.
    Van Gaal insists, however, that Falcao has yet to return to full fitness following a recent six-week calf injury lay-off and that he is not concerned whether the player is growing frustrated by his lack of first-team appearances.
    "I'm not interested," Van Gaal said. "He has to follow my philosophy. Do you understand that? Yes, I'm here because of that."

Van Gaal admitted last month that he "hoped" Falcao would justify his signing, at the same time as conceding that he was not signed permanently because of the club's desire to ensure the player has fully overcome the cruciate injury which forced him to miss the World Cup.
    With teenager James Wilson selected to start against Stoke City in midweek ahead of Falcao, Van Gaal insisted that the South American had still to prove his fitness on the training ground after returning from injury two weeks ago. "Yes, it is match fitness," Van Gaal said. "I will clarify it with more facts. He has trained now maybe two days after the Stoke match. We had the match on Tuesday, when he played for 15 minutes.
    "Then we had the training sessions after Tuesday, but before Tuesday, we didn't train. We trained the box exercise and that is not a full training session. Because we had to play again within two days the Hull City game last week, I have to do a recovery session, so I cannot train him.
    "After Tuesday I can train him and we trained very well on Wednesday, but then Thursday they are off. I can say to him train but, no, we have trained before that. So he has trained in two training sessions what I think is a contribution. A bigger contribution is to play in the second team for 45 or 60 minutes or even 90 minutes – what Jonny Evans has done already – but I cannot do that because Rooney was injured.
    "I have to adapt to the needs of the selection [squad]. He can play only 20 minutes on that level because the rhythm of the game in the Premier League is the highest."
    With Wayne Rooney, the captain, back to fitness after missing the 2-1 win against Stoke City with a knee injury and Ángel di María having a 50-50 chance of facing Southampton, United travel to the south coast knowing that a victory will lift them to third in table and within eight points of leaders Chelsea. But despite riding a storm of injuries since the start of the season, Van Gaal insists he is not happy with United's progress.
    "Against Hull City I thought it was a rather good performance," Van Gaal said. "I was very pleased. But against Stoke it was not so good. So within three days, there was a big difference and we are looking for consistency.
    "I have said already that we have to wait and see about the momentum. I don't think we can say we have it because when you have such a difference between two matches in three days you are not in a momentum.
    "We have to dominate more. Against Hull, we dominated and that is why I was so pleased. We could have scored more goals also, but 3-0 is a very good result against a very defensive team."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Valencia has been steady in that position the last 2 or 3 games thankfully, but to say he highlights how poor Rafa is based on his contribution is slightly mad to say the least.

I think he's improved since LVG has come in, but i still wouldn't call him steady myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He's been decent but I'd hate to be relying on him. Interesting team selection ahead tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The papers are going nuts on the Falcao stuff. "Falcao is not fit" etc etc

Its does seem that LVG is not too impressed with him and it looks like Falcao will not be starting tonight or in the next game. He'll be used as a sub unless he gets up to LVGs fitness standards.

Here is LVG talking about Falcao at the presser and although he seems mainly annoyed with the journalist I don't think everything is fine between LVG and Falcao given his tone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

in fairness it was stoke and hull at home last 2 games where we had over 60% possession so you couldn't really say Valencia was tested that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He's been decent but I'd hate to be relying on him. Interesting team selection ahead tonight.

Valencia at full back reminds me of Carragher at Liverpool when he played there.Did ok but you knew he wasn't particularly comfortable plus when he was expected to push forward,he got as far as half way and laid the ball off.
    Not a criticism,that's just the fact of the matter.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think he's improved since LVG has come in, but i still wouldn't call him steady myself.

Yeh LVG has definitely improved him to the point where he's not a complete liability, he's doing a decent job and not a RB so cant really complain.

Its definitely a position that needs looking into, I dont think we should be blowing 20m on Clyne/Coleman though.

Watch falcao start tonight and score, and shift lvg.

Then get mono and be out for 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I now know why United were so poor last year. Steve Round is talking about De Gea on Sky Sports News right now and he said that last year they had training sessions where none of the players could beat Big Dave in goal as he was so good.

Obviously the players confidence dipped as they couldn't even score in training with De Gea saving everything. De Gea has played well since the overall club form has dipped. Coincidence....I think not :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement