Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - See Mod Warning in OP, 09/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Watch falcao start tonight and score, and shift lvg.

Then get mono and be out for 2 months

Longer.

If Falcao breaks a nail, he's out for 3 months. Split ends in his hair is definitely a 4 month rehabilitation for emotional distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

It was fairly obvious when Falcao came on against Stoke he was not match fit (not unfit, just not match fit). His first touch was awful and on at least one occasion he lost control of the ball in a decent position when a fully fit Falcao would have done a whole lot more with it. However that improves with more minutes on the pitch and I like the way LVG is easing him in. His movement is still superb and I would be more worried if he lost that part of his game. He hasn't and once he gets up to speed i can't wait to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's so obvious the difference when Rafael plays and not. We look so much more threatening from right flank when Rafael is our RB. He is not a liability whatsoever. Like few said there are many people who are still stuck in 2009.

Brazilian, very good at attacking so obviously he must be **** defensively and people just get on with it rather than watching him and making a proper judgement. He is good defensively, not as good as Ivanovic but still good for a full back and attacking he is just great.

Fair paly to LVG, he called out Shaw on his fitness and it forced him to improve and he did.
    Hopefully Falcoa does the same.
    If your not fit tough ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As much as his signing baffled me, Falcao is one of my favourite players and I would hate to see him get turfed out only to sign a Cavani or whoever similar aged similar priced forward. Falcao just needs games, he's played well this season imo when we've seen him and 2 or 3 starts and we'd see the real Falcao. It's no coincidence that Shaw looked better when he started playing games and it will be the same with Falcao.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's so obvious the difference when Rafael plays and not. We look so much more threatening from right flank when Rafael is our RB. He is not a liability whatsoever. Like few said there are many people who are still stuck in 2009.

Brazilian, very good at attacking so obviously he must be **** defensively and people just get on with it rather than watching him and making a proper judgement. He is good defensively, not as good as Ivanovic but still good for a full back and attacking he is just great.

Agree but sometimes he makes rash decisions which can be frustrating.
    It's more noticeable in the big matches for some reason.
    If he starts against Liverpool Sunday he's got to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Same goes for Smalling after the City mishap.

I would like to see him start tonight and test Bertrand (or Alderweireld can't remember which). Should have the beating of either regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Liam O wrote: »
    As much as his signing baffled me, Falcao is one of my favourite players and I would hate to see him get turfed out only to sign a Cavani or whoever similar aged similar priced forward. Falcao just needs games, he's played well this season imo when we've seen him and 2 or 3 starts and we'd see the real Falcao. It's no coincidence that Shaw looked better when he started playing games and it will be the same with Falcao.
    Aye but the other argument is he worth 40 million at the end of the season. So far I think it would be madness to spend this kind of money. Obviously he has the second half of the season
    to prove himself.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I get the impression though that Falcao's fitness issues aren't exactly down to him being lazy, more like rehabilitating the issues from trying to come back from his ligament issue too quickly. This could mean he isn't "fit" for the season at least if the stories of stiffness and swelling are to be believed. Lee Sharpe did a similar thing iirc and never really got going again after that but granted medical science has come on leaps and bounds since then so hopefully Falcao can hit those heights again asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Agree but sometimes he makes rash decisions which can be frustrating.
    It's more noticeable in the big matches for some reason.
    If he starts against Liverpool Sunday he's got to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Same goes for Smalling after the City mishap.

I would like to see him start tonight and test Bertrand (or Alderweireld can't remember which). Should have the beating of either regardless.

I actually find him the complete opposite i think he performs better in the better games because he is more disciplined.

Off the top of my head i remember my Spurs friend going mad about how Bale could never get the better of him.
    Despite the sending off years ago he marked Ribery out of the game.
    Done very well against Hazard.
    After a shaky start he done well against Ronaldo.

It seems the games where we are more attacking he can get forward too much and get caught out and make a rash challenge.

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I get the impression though that Falcao's fitness issues aren't exactly down to him being lazy, more like rehabilitating the issues from trying to come back from his ligament issue too quickly. This could mean he isn't "fit" for the season at least if the stories of stiffness and swelling are to be believed. Lee Sharpe did a similar thing iirc and never really got going again after that but granted medical science has come on leaps and bounds since then so hopefully Falcao can hit those heights again asap.

It would be understandable Falcao being a bit nervous and easing himself back in.

Maybe LVG is taking this up as not being bothered and taking it easy.

Falcao is world class if we can ease him in and get him firing then he will make some difference. It was totally obvious against Stoke he looked nowhere near fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some of the papers saying we have agreed a deal with Monaco over Valdes & that they will pay most of his wages and we'll pay any bonuses he might earn while at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Adamcp898 wrote: »

I said it a few weeks ago but Vidic was the same, lot of niggly injuries his first season back but was able to get back to playing regularly at an older age than Falcao. He'll be vital over Christmas. It'll be a real luxury being able to start Rooney/RVP or something on the 26th and Falcao and Wilson on the 28th imo or some variation of them. Especially if Di Maria is still out at that point. For that to work Falcao needs a bit of game time before that however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

zerks wrote: »
    Some of the papers saying we have agreed a deal with Monaco over Valdes & that they will pay most of his wages and we'll pay any bonuses he might earn while at United.

Do you mean Falcao?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sky88 wrote: »
    Do you mean Falcao?

Could mean Valdes - he did sign a contract with them, and they backed out when he got his injury, which he and his agent have been in dispute with them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The papers are going nuts on the Falcao stuff. "Falcao is not fit" etc etc

Its does seem that LVG is not too impressed with him and it looks like Falcao will not be starting tonight or in the next game. He'll be used as a sub unless he gets up to LVGs fitness standards.

Here is LVG talking about Falcao at the presser and although he seems mainly annoyed with the journalist I don't think everything is fine between LVG and Falcao given his tone

I don't see anything wrong with that. Van Gaal wanted Falcao to play in the second team to regain match fitness but he couldn't because Rooney was injured. So that's the reason Falcao is not starting. Herrera, Januzaj, Evans all played for reserves after lengthy injury or when they didn't play for weeks.

Hopefully Falcao regains match fitness ASAP and would love to see him starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I actually find him the complete opposite i think he performs better in the better games because he is more disciplined.

Off the top of my head i remember my Spurs friend going mad about how Bale could never get the better of him.
    Despite the sending off years ago he marked Ribery out of the game.
    Done very well against Hazard.
    After a shaky start he done well against Ronaldo.

It seems the games where we are more attacking he can get forward too much and get caught out and make a rash challenge.

His positioning has definitely improved and although he makes the odd rash tackle which can put us under pressure at times he seems to have matured enough to settle down after getting a first yellow card. Azpilicueta has a comparable disciplinary record for Chelsea with roughly the same cards over the past couple of years.

The big issue is fitness. He was only fit for about 50% of our games last season and the same this season. And more worryingly it seems to be a groin or hamstring injury most of the time. Given we have few options there, there'll come a time when LvG will run out of patience and just sign another RB who will stay fit.. who will inevitably will fall down a manhole on his first day at training and break his leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Love LVG honesty and straight fwdness
    Details like the "box exercise" etc... love it.

Straight fwd. No bullshít standard answers and no long winded answers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We conceded 5 versus Leicester
    Have played Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal and City this season
    Started off poorly and we're still not even at 50% what we can be

and we potentially can go 5 games in a row tonight, into third, and still have the 4th best defense in the league.

Maybe Stan Collymore is right :)

sky88 wrote: »
    Do you mean Falcao?

No,seems like Monaco have him registered as one of their players.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/414207/Man-Utd-Barcelona-Victor-Valdes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So why was he training with us if contracted to monaco?
    He left, came back?

So why was he training with us if contracted to monaco?
    He left, came back?

He signed a deal,got injured and they backed out.
    The big spending Ligue 1 club agreed to sign the 32-year-old earlier this year, but pulled the plug on the deal after he suffered that knee injury in March.

Valdes has already held talks with Monaco chiefs over the situation and, according to the report, they have agreed to stump up the difference between the contract he signed with them and the one he will pen at United.

It is likely that Monaco will have to dig deep having handed Valdes a £150,000-a-week deal.

Aguero not out for the season as per Richard Keys' tweet,he'll miss at least a month though.Given that he's been winning games on his own at times it gives us a chance to overtake City if we get our finger out.

He signed a deal,got injured and they backed out.

Heh.

Ed Woodward: We will pay you £1 per week.
    Valdes: Great.
    Monaco: Fuk you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SpuddMurphy

What score do you all reckon tonight? and what team? I reckon the same team against Stoke except with Rooney in for Wilson.. Rafael & Evans on the bench too I'd say, don't want anyone to be just thrown back in besides Rooney because the rest of the team are playing decent and it's always good to play the same defence as often as you can

Aguero not out for the season as per Richard Keys' tweet,he'll miss at least a month though.Given that he's been winning games on his own at times it gives us a chance to overtake City if we get our finger out.

I have no ambitions on that front to be honest, though I would obviously hope United do. I'd take 4 place right now. Can't see us winning the title, we don't have less mistakes in us than Chelsea or City.

4th spot, CL football next season and build the remainder of a title winning squad in the summer. Think we are going to need to sign a player or two in January though, to get 4th. We are still to shakey, riding our luck too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Heh.

Ed Woodward: We will pay you £1 per week.
    Valdes: Great.
    Monaco: Fuk you guys.

He is so good at negotiating, he can negotiate someone below the minimum wage, he must be sending Mata and dave to play with the revenue commisioners

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with that. Van Gaal wanted Falcao to play in the second team to regain match fitness but he couldn't because Rooney was injured. So that's the reason Falcao is not starting. Herrera, Januzaj, Evans all played for reserves after lengthy injury or when they didn't play for weeks.

Hopefully Falcao regains match fitness ASAP and would love to see him starting.

Your probably right. I think I'm just reading into it too much but I thought I got an undertone of LVG being personally frustrated with Falcao and I sensed a little anger. Like I said it could have been the journo's that were annoying LVG and he seemed to be extra pissed and in a "I aint listening to this sh1t" mood that day.

I just want Falcao to work out at UTD so badly I'm getting nervous and over thinking every little thing. I haven't been as excited with a signing since Berbatov.

Falcao is world class and could really light up our team if he gets back to top form plus stays injury free and then we would have a real star on our hands. Finger crossed.

I think we will win tonight but can't see a clean sheet predicting 3-1.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I think we will win tonight but can't see a clean sheet predicting 3-1.

Placed that as me scorecast on betfair. Looks like a good shout / good price too.

We need to ensure we take out chances though, can't repeat what happened during the week. Missed a bucket load of chances and only for Young / De Gea it would have cost us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

RobertKK wrote: »

Well he's be wrong, its fine basing it on their time at the club because Falcao has the best scoring record of all 3 but Aguero wasn't playing for Atletico in his prime. He was only 23 when he left them, at this moment in time Aguero is the best of all 3 , Falcao would need to reproduce his Porto and Atletico form at United for him to be comparable to Aguero

1-3, away to Southampton? Love the confidence lads! Southampton have performed very well this season, and though I do think their position flatters them a little (having had an easy enough fixture list up to recently) I can't see how people reckon we are going to get just our second away win of the season (and part of last season) and tonk them in the process.

We obviously have players that can cause them problems, we have players that should be able to cause any side in the world problems. But, they also have players that can cause our fairly rickety backline problems of our own. If we had a slightly less capable goalkeeper in nets vs Arsenal or Stoke we could have come away with 1 point from 6 rather than 6. We are on a good run, but don't let that mask the continuing problems.

I'm hoping we win tonight, and we should be capable of it - but we are also capable of conceding 5 goals vs Leicester.

United player in a youth cup the other week. Barcelona won it and United with out in the second round. United player Angleo Gomes was named player of the tournement. Must be a bright looking player. Scores a (tough to see) peach at the 8.50 mark on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngBoCiE3kbk#t=530

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He is so good at negotiating, he can negotiate someone below the minimum wage, he must be sending Mata and dave to play with the revenue commisioners

Thats one way to get Mata a game. What a signing.

The Leicester game was an anomaly imo. So much went wrong in such a short space of time.

Falcao hits the cross bar at 1-3. Clattenburg gives the stupid penalty. The red card and so on.

It was a real perfect storm of sh1tty luck. The team hasn't looked like having a horror show like that since.

Southampton have a strong defense, the best in europe iirc but maybe that's changed after the City and Arsenal games.

It will be a tough match but I expect us to have most of the possession and to sneak it by a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Trilla wrote: »
    Love LVG honesty and straight fwdness
    Details like the "box exercise" etc... love it.

Straight fwd. No bullshít standard answers and no long winded answers

Funny, I'm of the opposite opinion with LVG. I think a lot of the things he says are waffley bullshìt and meant to deflect criticism or big himself up. Not that I mind, as long as he isn't a complete tool all I care about is how well he does with managing the team.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Funny, I'm of the opposite opinion with LVG. I think a lot of the things he says are waffley bullshìt and meant to deflect criticism or big himself up. Not that I mind, as long as he isn't a complete tool all I care about is how well he does with managing the team.

I'd say to HIM his answers are clear, concise and, more importantly, CORRECT.

The man is as arrogant as they come, but I do find him very clear in what he says.

If you don't agree with what he is saying, he'll come across a bit of a tool.

Not that I mind, as long as he isn't a complete tool all I care about is how well he does with managing the team.

Personally I do mind, particularly for things like his criticisms of Smalling and Shaw. That is not how he should be handling his players, and he will only get away with it so far. Should success not come that waffley bullshit will start to hang him in due course.

I'd say to HIM his answers are clear, concise and, more importantly, CORRECT.

The man is as arrogant as they come, but I do find him very clear in what he says.

If you don't agree with what he is saying, he'll come across a bit of a tool.

I don't think any succesful manager concerns themselves with the truth that much. It's all about getting the most out of the players and keeping themselves in a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Think it'll be 1-0 to us. Huge test this game is.

Personally I do mind, particularly for things like his criticisms of Smalling and Shaw. That is not how he should be handling his players, and he will only get away with it so far. Should success not come that waffley bullshit will start to hang him in due course.

I think it's possible for a manager to get performances out of players by saying mad shít about them in public sometimes. Brian Clough used to do it and it definitely worked, so LVG could have the same idea. Or he could just be an ego maniac who says mad shít. Either way, he'll live or die by his results.

I think it's possible for a manager to get performances out of players by saying mad shít about them in public sometimes. Brian Clough used to do it and it definitely worked, so LVG could have the same idea. Or he could just be an ego maniac who says mad shít. Either way, he'll live or die by his results.

A lot of it is looking for a reaction from the player. He's a tough coach on his players in workload and he speaks his mind, but it makes players tougher mentally in the long run. Makes them stronger personalities too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

At least he's our egomaniac :)

A lot of it is looking for a reaction from the player. He's a tough coach on his players in workload and he speaks his mind, but it makes players tougher mentally in the long run. Makes them stronger personalities too.

It also tells them that when they make mistakes their manager is going to hang them in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It also tells them that when they make mistakes their manager is going to hang them in public.

But he can show by selecting them when they are getting it in the neck that public opinion isn't worth much and shouldn't have too much of an effect on them.

• Advertisement

Sometimes they need it. We've been on about the need for strong characters in our squad and especially in our defence for the last couple of years and Van Gaal knows more about the psychology of a footballer than we will probably ever know. By saying a player didn't do his job in public he's seeing how a player will react when everyone - fans and press - is looking at them wondering how they are going to recover from a poor performance or decision. He could make it easy for his player and defend him and have a word with him in training but that's not testing a players mentality. And then we'd wonder when it comes to crunch time in a big game how a player can't handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ah I doubt Smalling needed LVG to tell him he made a balls of things against City.

Funny, I'm of the opposite opinion with LVG. I think a lot of the things he says are waffley bullshìt and meant to deflect criticism or big himself up.

If they're waffley though, they're descriptive. They're not vague or full of cliches, or "we'll try" "hopefully" etc

Anything he says in great length and detail is simply put, whether its bullshít or bigging himself up, it most certainly isn't cliche, puzzling and def not one of your standard interviews or pressers.

As likeable a man Moyes was, I hated him in front of the press and tv. Wasn't a fan of Fergie either too much for different reasons.

1-3, away to Southampton? Love the confidence lads! Southampton have performed very well this season, and though I do think their position flatters them a little (having had an easy enough fixture list up to recently) I can't see how people reckon we are going to get just our second away win of the season (and part of last season) and tonk them in the process.

We obviously have players that can cause them problems, we have players that should be able to cause any side in the world problems. But, they also have players that can cause our fairly rickety backline problems of our own. If we had a slightly less capable goalkeeper in nets vs Arsenal or Stoke we could have come away with 1 point from 6 rather than 6. We are on a good run, but don't let that mask the continuing problems.

I'm hoping we win tonight, and we should be capable of it - but we are also capable of conceding 5 goals vs Leicester.

I wouldn't class 1-3 as a whipping by any means. We are creating chances but need to up the conversion rate.
    I'm also going on Southamptons two previous games, and the fact there missing there best player this season IMO in Morgan Schneiderlin.

I wouldn't put LVG anywhere near the BS'er category. He seems so straight to the point and is always calling out questions and myths/stories the press are trying to drum up as stupid or ridiculous.

I honestly believe LVG believes everything he says and is being as honest as he can with the majority of his answers.

He is short and blunt, I find him very far from a waffler. When he does goes into detail, like he did with Falcao, its to nip a press story in the bud when they are trying to get a negative angle on something.

Not the I agree with everything he says or does but I believe he does it all with 100% faith he is doing the right thing.

But its like any interview from a guy in power, you either believe him or you think he's holding something back or deflecting. Nobody can be certain.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement